What is your most common social mistake?

Page 6 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

wendyleigh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2011, 5:15 pm

:wink: Oh boy! Where to start...? I cut people off while they're talking. I'm so bad about this, especially if we're talking about something I'm excited about. I'm not very good with eye contact unless I'm used to the person and even then if I need to explain something or go into detail, I have to look sort of past their head instead of into their eyes. If I begin to get overloaded, I can be rude and bossy. For example, I was assessing a patient during my practicum hours this semester and it was towards the end of a 16 hour day in an emergency department full of chattering people with all these flourescent lights (ugh!) overhead. A resident came up to my patient with a medical student in tow and got between me and the patient and started talking to the patient and explaining the patient's pathophysiology to the med student. I just wanted to throw him through a plate glass window! I mean, hello??? I'm not done! Would you like a thorough assessment or not?? Of course, if I hadn't been in overload it wouldn't have been as big of a deal, but it still would've annoyed me. So, I tolerated them for a minute but then he just started sort of stating the obvious, so I just elbowed them both out of the way and got on with it. The resident is an intense man himself and he just sort of chuckled and led the med student away. But I've got to get a handle on that because people aren't always going to be so tolerant. Oh, and if you can't tell, I can be a bit blunt. Bahahaha! And I talk down to people sometimes. Not all the time. Just when I think I'm right, which is pretty often. But guess what? Sometimes, being right is overrated. And I have alot of trouble talking to guys. I have NO IDEA how to flirt and can't tell when someone is flirting with me. This has resulted in some truly grotesque ( and totally hilarious for anyone observing, I'm sure!) exchanges.

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2011, 9:04 pm

b9 wrote:
... lack of common grounding with humanity, i do not understand why they do all the things they do, and i feel nauseous almost at the thought ...

pretty much that.

most common social mistake.. stepping/placing myself into any social/society situation, think by now I would know better and just not bother...

Temporarily known as InsomniacDreams due to data input iss

kraelik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2011, 1:57 am

I would have to say that I talk over other people when I want to talk. I also yell at people when they touch me, even if it was an accident.

Chivolsoc
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2011, 7:31 am

I am told that I come across as stand offish and a non joiner.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

I am pretty much a socail failure. I have gotten better at reading people, but when it comes to knowing what tosay in social situations, I am an utter failure. I will sit in silence, and not talk unless spoken to, then if takes me a minute to come up with whatever I am going to say. it's really quite pathetic.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

if i was an owl, i am sure i could remain anonymous because i would not give a hoot.

lennyk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2011, 9:05 pm

everything

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

accepting a drink or not. They will ask me and i usually don't know what to say.

URtheALIEN
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2011, 9:29 pm

wendyleigh wrote:
:wink: Oh boy! Where to start...? I cut people off while they're talking. I'm so bad about this, especially if we're talking about something I'm excited about. I'm not very good with eye contact unless I'm used to the person and even then if I need to explain something or go into detail, I have to look sort of past their head instead of into their eyes. If I begin to get overloaded, I can be rude and bossy. For example, I was assessing a patient during my practicum hours this semester and it was towards the end of a 16 hour day in an emergency department full of chattering people with all these flourescent lights (ugh!) overhead. A resident came up to my patient with a medical student in tow and got between me and the patient and started talking to the patient and explaining the patient's pathophysiology to the med student. I just wanted to throw him through a plate glass window! I mean, hello??? I'm not done! Would you like a thorough assessment or not?? Of course, if I hadn't been in overload it wouldn't have been as big of a deal, but it still would've annoyed me. So, I tolerated them for a minute but then he just started sort of stating the obvious, so I just elbowed them both out of the way and got on with it. The resident is an intense man himself and he just sort of chuckled and led the med student away. But I've got to get a handle on that because people aren't always going to be so tolerant. Oh, and if you can't tell, I can be a bit blunt. Bahahaha! And I talk down to people sometimes. Not all the time. Just when I think I'm right, which is pretty often. But guess what? Sometimes, being right is overrated. And I have alot of trouble talking to guys. I have NO IDEA how to flirt and can't tell when someone is flirting with me. This has resulted in some truly grotesque ( and totally hilarious for anyone observing, I'm sure!) exchanges.

Except that I am a guy, see all of the above. In spades.

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2011, 1:02 am

By far the worst thing I am aware of is talking about something that is only related to the conversation in my own idiosyncratic way. My awareness of this is still fresh, so I'm sure that I am improving in this area and will continue to do so. I'm also sure that soon I will become aware of my next bad habit and start to tackle that.