Coworker's sister's dead baby. What should I say?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

kezzieb
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

One of my coworker's sister had to give birth to her baby which had died in the womb.

What should I say to him, I'm not sure what's appropriate: 'My condolences'? It doesn't seem right in this situation. 'I'm sorry'? It's not my fault. 'That's sad'? Surely he already knows that. 'I hope your sister is alright'? Of course she's not going to be alright right now.

Is this the time to offer a hug? A sad smile? A pat on the back? I didn't know what to do so when someone else told me I just avoided him so I didn't upset him further.

Also how upset should I expect him to be, I'd imagine that would be a really sad thing to happen, but I'm not thinking complete depression because it wasn't his baby and he never got a chance to know him/her. But saying that a girl I work with started crying when he said about it and she doesn't even know his sister, I mean yes it's sad but crying?

I need some help, I have no idea what to do in this situation. Can anyone give me some advice?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 4:52 pm

Er, don't make any dead baby jokes? For starters?

kezzieb

15 Jul 2011, 5:06 pm

Tequila wrote:

Oh damn! I thought that joke was probably a bad idea. :P

Seriously though, he's a nice bloke and I don't want to do something wrong and upset him even more. :?

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 6:02 pm

kezzieb wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Oh damn! I thought that joke was probably a bad idea. :P

Seriously though, he's a nice bloke and I don't want to do something wrong and upset him even more. :?

The standard phrase that I have learned is "I'm sorry for your loss".

I have noticed that most people put a hand on someone's back, near the shoulder when they say this, so this is what I do if I feel touch is appropriate (i.e. I know the person quite well).

If it is someone I know particularly well I might extend it to "I'm not really sure what say but .... I'm sorry for your loss".

I had a similar situation recently and couldn't understand why my co workers (the ones who didn't have the loss in their family) were crying when they didn't know the people involved. *shrug*

I have never figured out what to do after the "I'm sorry for your loss" and usually have to make an awkward exit ... must remember to watch people in future to figure that one out.

sedjat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2011, 6:07 pm

Well, depending on how close you and your coworker are you may not actually have to bring it up. I don't think you need to hug or touch him either. If he brings it up or you feel you have to say something, you could say "I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You must be worried about your sister." Just acknowledging his loss is probably enough (he did lose a family member and he's probably concerned for his sister). Since he's a coworker he's not likely to show too much emotion at work or even want to share an excessive amount of personal details about the event.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 7:19 pm

"Sorry about your loss" is a good place to start.

jessejava
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2011, 9:19 pm

Anytime someone has experienced a death it is awkward to offer condolences. When we say I'm sorry for your loss, that does not mean that we would be responsible. We can say, I am sorry for your loss. Which really means I am sad that you are sad. Your presence and acknowledgement makes them feel better. When people avoid the person, it makes it more difficult. Hope this helps!

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 9:41 pm

kezzieb wrote:
'I'm sorry'? It's not my fault.

"I'm sorry"= "I feel bad for you".

Wikipedia wrote:
"Sorry," an expression of regret or condolence

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

15 Jul 2011, 9:58 pm

This is always tough for me, but my mom is really good at handing these situations like a charm.
First she will acknowlege their suffering by saying. OHHH how awful! Then she would ask if his sister was okay. and how was he handling the situation? Then she would listen to him. And then she would offer a token of help like Is there anything I can do to make things easier for her?? Does she need anything so she can rest?
Then she will finish with something like be strong and send your sister my love.

She should have been a grief councilor...she is really good at it. I try to immitate her, but easier said than done.

Frelsun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2011, 9:48 am

I would say the best thing to do is just be as simple as possible. A lot of people who don't even have Asperger's syndrome struggle with this type of thing. I would say say something along the lines "I am very sorry to hear about your loss. If you ever need someone to talk to about it, I am here for you."

Sometimes a handwritten card is the best thing as that shows you really care.

I recommend NOT bringing yourself into such as saying "I remember how such and such happened to me" but instead be 100% focused on them. A lot of non-Asperger's people make this mistake all the time: so often it's just two people have monologues instead of a dialogue.

kezzieb

16 Jul 2011, 7:21 pm

I saw him at work today before I read all your very helpful comments so i couldn't put your advice into action but thank you very much.
I just didn't say anything about what happened but tried to be supportive. We work in a fast food retailer and it was really busy today so we didn't have much time not serving customers and I went on the till while he did the food prep so we weren't in the same place. We mainly talked about stuff that had to do with work anyway, there's been a lot of drama going on at the moment between other colleagues so we discussed that mainly. I don't think he really wants to talk about it or maybe he realises I'm not the right person to talk about it with.

He's done said things today that have confused me though, he was teasing and he said that it was because he was flirting. I don't know if this was just a joke or not but he has a wife and two children so I wouldn't have an affair/relationship with him anyway. I just didn't understand what he meant. Was that just a joke?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

16 Jul 2011, 9:32 pm

kezzieb wrote:
I saw him at work today before I read all your very helpful comments so i couldn't put your advice into action but thank you very much.
I just didn't say anything about what happened but tried to be supportive. We work in a fast food retailer and it was really busy today so we didn't have much time not serving customers and I went on the till while he did the food prep so we weren't in the same place. We mainly talked about stuff that had to do with work anyway, there's been a lot of drama going on at the moment between other colleagues so we discussed that mainly. I don't think he really wants to talk about it or maybe he realises I'm not the right person to talk about it with.

He's done said things today that have confused me though, he was teasing and he said that it was because he was flirting. I don't know if this was just a joke or not but he has a wife and two children so I wouldn't have an affair/relationship with him anyway. I just didn't understand what he meant. Was that just a joke?

Some NT guys flirt just to play but mean nothing more than just their way of interacting playfully with the oppisite sex. In My experience if a guy is serious about you...he tries to be perfect and puts the mojo to you. But just alittle playful flirting most the time leads to nothing more.