interest group 47%  47%  [ 41 ]
interest group 47%  47%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 88

stjimmy2500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2005, 12:34 pm

Hey what do you guys think is the best place to meet people

i look forward to any advice or suggestions and..
There's a POLL! 8)

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2005, 12:51 pm

The best way for me is to be introduced by a mutual friend. I don't think I could meet people in the conventional way. I guess it could be an interest group. Without some common ground its near impossibel to interact with people, I can go along for possibly 3 min before the conversation goes downhill.

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2005, 12:59 pm

I choose interest group. At least then you have one thing in common. I'm always signing up for a class or two, especially in the winter. I sometimes make friends, but; we eventually drift apart. It's a nice way to talk with people in small groups though.

stjimmy2500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2005, 1:04 pm

yeah interest group are frequntly overlooked esp by from my exp NTs
but they make a lot of sense for any one not just someone on the specturum.My least favourite would be a danceclub oh just cuz i can't dance don dance and hate dance music.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2005, 1:56 pm

Library... or while walking dog...

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2005, 2:36 pm

I find putting yourself into a situation where everyone else has to talk to you is the only way that works for me - hence definitely interest groups......

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2005, 4:16 pm

i chouse interest group, because then you can be sure the person has something in common with you and you find each of you have similar interests.

i love dances though. but i go with friends and i really have no desire to meet anybody there because they don't see who you really are when you're all dressy and made up, but that's just my opinion. and i wouldn't know anything about meeting @ a bar...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2005, 5:03 pm

Clubs are really only for meeting people for one night stands. (honestly, it's true, people.)

I wouldn't reccomend Clubs to anyone that wants to widen their circle of friends.

It's too loud to be heard.
You can't see who you're talking to.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 3:40 am

The best way to meet people is for them to save your life from a rampaging horde of crazed ninja robots. I mean it even gives you a decent topic to start a conversation.
Unfortunately, one cannot really rely on this happening all that frequently... in fact its only happened to me once or twice, and even then they were less ninja then kung-fu robots, and not so much crazed as mildly deranged... still we have to make do with what we've got.

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2005, 7:00 pm

whats an interest group? i would like to meet someone in a natural random way, like if ppl start talking to me coz they think i might be a nice person. that would be a good thing. unfortunately when it happends the ppl who talk to me think im wierd when they start talkin to me, but they liked me BEFORE they came up to me. thats usually what happens anyway.

Ebi
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2005, 12:39 pm

berta wrote:
whats an interest group? i would like to meet someone in a natural random way, like if ppl start talking to me coz they think i might be a nice person. that would be a good thing. unfortunately when it happends the ppl who talk to me think im wierd when they start talkin to me, but they liked me BEFORE they came up to me. thats usually what happens anyway.

See this forum? You can think of it as the "virtual" version of an interest group, of people sharing one thing in common - having symptoms of or interest in AS. In an interest group, people gather around because they share interest or love for a given common theme - cars, computers, writing, whatever you can think of. For us with AS, that's pretty much the only surefire way I can think of of starting a good relationship of any kind without having our lack of social skills standing between us and the rest - after all, we're there because we share common grounds with the rest of the people there, so there's our ice-breaker.

And why you say people think you are weird? Wouldn't it rather be that YOU think THEY think you are weird? I think I used to think like that when I was younger. It took me ages to mature and be aware that I was the one having those issues, not others. No one can consider you a weirdo at first glance - not unless you behave like one, of course.

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2005, 1:04 pm

sorry but i still dont get it. i got the online version.
yea this place is so great!
but whats the real version. for instance if i get a hobby and join a group that also does that hobby?
i am actually joining a language class next week so is that an interest group?

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2005, 3:28 pm

berta wrote:
but whats the real version. for instance if i get a hobby and join a group that also does that hobby?
i am actually joining a language class next week so is that an interest group?

Yes and yes. :)

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2005, 4:40 pm

Yes, that's what it would be considered.

I have wondered whether int his context, church should be considered a social club or an interest group - I think interest group. I have met my closest new friends since grade school except for one (Sander, the college friend who has a possible Aspie brother) in church. However, I was the opposite of most, as most people go to church first,t hen try out our Adult Bible Fellowships, which you can think of as small groups of people who meet before church to learn. I, on the other hand, went to an ABF for 2.5 years after coming home from college before starting full time into the main church service. (Our church has 1500 members. Yeah, I know, huge, but I don't get that overwhelmed by crwods. Maybe b/c of my low visions & some hearing loss?)

I think a church would be a good place if you can get involved in a Bible study. The friends I met there are very friendly, and I found people I fit in with right away - who love to tell puns and crack jokes and just be really silly at times. My mom says she was worried about me in a new group of people the first time I went out to eat with them, till she came to pick me up from dinner & saw me happily laughing and joking with them like I fit right in, which I did.

It's encouraged me to get involved helping to teach, etc., too. And, it is a place where one goes to get fed apiritually, so I would say it is an interest group, and one that helped me a lot.

Thought I should add, it's not always easy to find the right church. Our pastor now and previous has always talked about the importance of being friendly, and loving others - the best thing to do might be to e-mail or call the church inq uestion and ask how the people are and whether you'd feel welcome. Explain the concerns you have about socializing, and that you need...well, whatever you need. For me, it was needing people to reach out to me and show themselves friendly, and these people did.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2005, 10:24 pm

Interest groups are the best ways to make friends

Captain_Brain
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2005, 3:40 am

It'd be great if there were interest groups in this small town that I live in, but there aren't. What'd you guys suggest besides interest groups?