Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

d057
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 6:07 pm

Has anybody seen the 2007 documentary "Billy The Kid?" It was about an Aspie boy from a small town in Maine. What were your opinions about it?

Here is the link to watch it on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/135615/billy-the-kid

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 2:56 pm

Wonderful! I have yet to see it, but have tried to find it in the past. I could only find old 60's movies named "Billy The Kid" Thanks for the link, will be watching it soon.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 5:54 pm

I really enjoyed this documentary. Billy The Kid was relatable and I definitely could see Asperger like traits. The whole back story was well done from beginning to end, although some parts were cringe-worthy, I found myself enjoying the movie more because those moments were all seemingly very honest. This seemed like a very genuine documentary. I liked it.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 7:39 am

I really liked it. In fact I watched it on hulu twice.
I just can't believe the ending. She broke up with him. It was so cold and unexpected. I felt bad that he did not get his girl.
He really seems like a likeable guy. Of course a lot of the time I think everyone is playing for the camera a little.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 2:24 pm

Pondering wrote:
I really enjoyed this documentary. Billy The Kid was relatable and I definitely could see Asperger like traits. The whole back story was well done from beginning to end, although some parts were cringe-worthy, I found myself enjoying the movie more because those moments were all seemingly very honest. This seemed like a very genuine documentary. I liked it.

I gave the film a three out of five star review on Amazon.com.

Here was what I wrote:

"I recently watched this documentary on Hulu, and there were many scenes that I felt were painful to watch. This documentary only showed the negative side of having Asperger's Syndrome. It showed that he has trouble interacting with people. There were many scenes where I went back to my painful memories of high school. There was a scene close to the beginning where his mother described a bad encounter with a girl at his school, he confessed his love for her and she dumped him in front of a bunch of people. Although his mother said he handled it well, I flashed back to my painful memories of high school. I know how it feels to be set up and humiliated by people. Billy did seem like a very intelligent person, but I couldn't really see it shown in this documentary. I was offended that it showed the things Aspies can't do, and didn't focus on things they can do."

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2HNA5G5LS ... A5G5LSQFUA

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 7:35 am

he was a beautiful young man. a good kid. i prayed for him after i watched the documentary. i wonder what he is up to now, 4 years later, at age 19? i believe he will turn out ok, he has a good brain.

john93
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2011, 7:47 am

I would like to watch this but the link only works in America :/ any global links for the movie?

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 5:01 pm

i believe he will turn out ok, he has a good brain.[/quote]

i second that.
i can't get hulu but netflix has it so others should too
plus.....you could buy it i'm sure....the crew who made it could use the money, and it will show more profit,reviews,and stats for this genra

d057
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 6:43 pm

jackbus01 wrote:
I really liked it. In fact I watched it on hulu twice.
I just can't believe the ending. She broke up with him. It was so cold and unexpected. I felt bad that he did not get his girl.
He really seems like a likeable guy. Of course a lot of the time I think everyone is playing for the camera a little.

If you noticed there was a scene where the girl and her mother were talking about how Billy rushed it. He talked about how much he loved her and wanted to give up his life for her when he has only known her for a few weeks.

szmaine
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2011, 10:16 am

Ressurecting this thread because i just watched this film.

Random thoughts...

I just discovered it and it was of special interest to me since I live in rural Maine though not as rural as Billy.
The main thing that captures my thought is the plight of AS persons that do not get diagnosed at an age that might really have been instrumental in improving his life earlier on. There is quite a dearth of asperger's professionals in the less populated regions of Maine.In fact if you want to do any kinds of groups for parents or partners of AS people you have to travel to southern Maine.
This really bothers me. But I digress...

I thought the movie was well done and that Billy is a great kid trying to make the best of difficult circumstances. I think his mother does a really good job in her talks with him.

At the time the movie was made he had not been diagnosed with AS - I'll bet it was because of the movie that he did get diagnosed at all - ie. someone finally saw him who actually knew what they were seeing.

Some of the reviews are interesting and give some good insight into the types of reactions NT world may have to an AS individual when they don't know that the person has AS and wouldn't understand what it means even if they were told.
Exibit A; this reviewer thinks the kid could be a heartbeat away from a killing spree...

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117933452?refcatid=31

So, those are my random impressions.
I think it worth seeing for anybody but especially for NT - AS or no AS the NT world needs to be more accepting and have greater empathy toward each other. This should be part of Jr High and High school programs