What should I have done? / What would you have done?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sniffletouille
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2011, 1:20 am

I walk into a popular coffee shop downtown for open mic night(I like listening to the performances). I'm a regular here but not on Mondays.

I'm already nervous and jittery from the vast amount of people, as soon as I get my coffee, I find a table. As long as I just watch the person on stage, I'll be okay and tune out the crowd.

Within one minute, someone tells me they need my table to set up the camera because someone wants to record the performance.

I relinquish my seat and after 5 minutes standing around(sweating from anxiety of being in that situation) looking for a new opening in the extremely crowded shop, I leave.

Also I managed to ascertain that the aforementioned individual was one of the staff that I did not recognize.

I left because I thought I was being awkward. I can't really tell so I assume I am.

As a result of missing the show, I went to the library and wasted two hours on making various origami animals.

I made sure my desk was scattered with a plethora of pages with already solved chemistry problems in hopes of not appearing too creepy.

BN1111
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2011, 3:41 am

All I have to say is, if I was there at that coffee house, I so would have preferred making origami animals in the library. 8)

Visit me here: http://brandynightingale.blogspot.com
Or here: http://www.facebook.com/everythingshunkydory
Or on Twitter: @bnightingale11

Anamnesis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2011, 7:58 am

They probably picked you to ask because you were alone and jittery - and inferred that you'd just say yes, rather than because your table was well located. Sad but true :evil:

Two things you could do in the future:
- Scan around for another table before giving up yours. Sounds simple, but it's often not a reflex
- Tell them that it's your table. If they wanted it, they should've got it first. Might seem harsh, but also perfectly warranted. Might make you seem like an ass, but hey - no pain, no gain.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 9:49 pm

I would have stayed seated at the table. It's easy to win an argument when all you have to do is nothing (for me at least) 8)