"I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

TheNiteOwl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Oct 2011, 11:02 pm

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave..."

Has anyone else ever had that said to them? I've been a customer at a local coffee shop for almost 5 years. It's nice to also visit after work for a tea (at the time, I was trying to curb my taste for coffee, so tea was a habit I was trying to develop.) They always hire very friendly, and very pretty waitress. It made going there a comfortable experience. :)

The same cute blond, 17-18 years old, who would serve me. She wouldn't spend too much time at the counter, but when she did, I'd attempt conversation. I actually found out that she had a taste for French techno, like I do. I worked up the bravery to ask her if she has a facebook account. She smiled and said, "yeah, but it's private."

I certainly didn't expect her account to be open for all the world to see. I assumed this would mean I'd have to send a friend request like anyone else would. Makes sense right? Or...

Did I go wrong when I sent her a friend request a few days later..? Upon returning the next week for tea, a cook asked to speak to me outside. He claimed to hear the waitress say to "not contact her on facebook." After teling me this, he told me I had to leave.

Normal people might sue the restaurant. Humiliated, I've let it go and haven't returned since. Do I seriously stay away from this place? Do I assume the restaurant is in the right? I was never rude, or made comments that would be considered in poor taste. Maybe I was staring at her because she was so cute, but that's not crime.

So confusing. :(

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 1:10 am

There was an implied meaning throughout this scenario that you unfortunately did not pick up on. When someone says their facebook/email/whatever is private, it is usually a polite way of saying "I am not open to any further contact". It means you should have ended things there. Regardless of whether her account was private or not., you should not have sent her a friend request, as this made her uncomfortable enough to tell the others at work about you. She likely felt you were stalking her.

I would avoid the restaurant from now on, of course. Fortunately, you'll now know that if someone gives that kind of response again, you'll take it as a polite rejection.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 3:52 am

I'm sorry that this happened to you.

There could have been a lot of things going on. As I did not observe your interactions with this waitress, I cannot speculate as to what body language/non verbal cues/tones of voice she was using that might have been missed by someone who is not as aware of body language/non verbal cues.

I pretty much have a rule - I am cordial to people who are paid to serve me or assist me. I am friendly, but do not try to be friends (on Facebook or otherwise socially). I go in with the attitude that they are being nice to me because it is there job. I am always cordial, but I do not try to engage them in conversation otherwise. If the server says, "How are you?" I say "Great" or "Fine" or, if feeling a little different, "Just okay, but a cup of coffee will make me feel great :) " However, I leave it at that. I always remember, they are doing their job, they probably genuinely LIKE people - but our relationship is one of customer and server. I leave it at that.

Regarding staring (which you say that you might have been doing) - although it is not a crime to stare - sometimes, people might feel uncomfortable with someones eyes constantly following them as they go about their work. I enjoy people watching in general - although I usually bring a book or crossword puzzle or IPad/IPod/Smart Phone or whatever to peruse. This keeps me from intensely staring. I used to do this to - have my eyes follow someone I thought was interesting/attractive - I didn't realize at the time that it can be unnerving for my the other person. Now that I am aware - I don't do it.

Also, I agree with the previous respondent - when someone says, "my (Facebook account/phone number/address/etc) is private" - this means that they don't want further contact.

In any event - consider it a lesson learned. Find a new coffee spot. Bring a magazine or a crossword puzzle or your IPad or ??, enjoy the coffee, be cordial, but find friends in more social venues with people who are not paid to be polite to us. You will do fine.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 8:23 am

TheNiteOwl wrote:
"I'm going to have to ask you to leave..."

Has anyone else ever had that said to them? I've been a customer at a local coffee shop for almost 5 years. It's nice to also visit after work for a tea (at the time, I was trying to curb my taste for coffee, so tea was a habit I was trying to develop.) They always hire very friendly, and very pretty waitress. It made going there a comfortable experience. :)

The same cute blond, 17-18 years old, who would serve me. She wouldn't spend too much time at the counter, but when she did, I'd attempt conversation. I actually found out that she had a taste for French techno, like I do. I worked up the bravery to ask her if she has a facebook account. She smiled and said, "yeah, but it's private."

I certainly didn't expect her account to be open for all the world to see. I assumed this would mean I'd have to send a friend request like anyone else would. Makes sense right? Or...

Did I go wrong when I sent her a friend request a few days later..? Upon returning the next week for tea, a cook asked to speak to me outside. He claimed to hear the waitress say to "not contact her on facebook." After teling me this, he told me I had to leave.

Normal people might sue the restaurant. Humiliated, I've let it go and haven't returned since. Do I seriously stay away from this place? Do I assume the restaurant is in the right? I was never rude, or made comments that would be considered in poor taste. Maybe I was staring at her because she was so cute, but that's not crime.

So confusing. :(

Well, when she said "yeah, but its private", you should have taken the hint and not friended her. That's just a polite way of saying "I don't want you on my facebook".

If she had wanted to be your friend on facebook, she would have said explicitly that she wanted you to add her.

TheNiteOwl

02 Oct 2011, 10:35 am

Looking back on it, I feel naive for not hearing her obvious rejection. Too blinded by beauty. My defensive behavior is what caused it. I used to think that NT's layered their responses in meaning. In reality, I have trouble processing their communication on the spot. It usually takes a day of reflection to add it up as a sum total.

Solution: new coffee place and eyes on my own paper! :P

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 8:29 pm

Yeah, probably should have taken "It's private" to mean "No friendship." I think it was still kind of nasty to chuck you out of the restaurant. Paranoid 8O 8O

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 8:35 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
I think it was still kind of nasty to chuck you out of the restaurant. Paranoid 8O 8O

The other point is that being so overtly aggressive about it so early on could spark a nasty reaction from some guys. They would have been better off mentioning it to him so that he gets the message but not in a hostile way and as for feeling that she's being stalked she sounds like a self-important sow who needs to get o'er herself.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 5:18 am

Tequila wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:
I think it was still kind of nasty to chuck you out of the restaurant. Paranoid 8O 8O

The other point is that being so overtly aggressive about it so early on could spark a nasty reaction from some guys. They would have been better off mentioning it to him so that he gets the message but not in a hostile way and as for feeling that she's being stalked she sounds like a self-important sow who needs to get o'er herself.

I don't see what he did to get banned from the fricken place. It's not like he dropped his pants. He just sent a request and it was declined. This sounds totally ridiculous.

TheNiteOwl

03 Oct 2011, 9:07 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I don't see what he did to get banned from the fricken place. It's not like he dropped his pants. He just sent a request and it was declined. This sounds totally ridiculous.

Yes, I have to admit, I was quite paranoid about it for awhile. I'm quiet and polite. However, I did enjoy allowing my mind and eyes to wander while the girls worked. It must have appeared as loutish behavior, even if I was always trying to be nice.

My one final complaint: if every man was banned from a restaurant for glancing at the girls, no man would ever eat out again!

glamourdollxoxo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2011, 2:48 pm

She probably was freaked out because put yourself in her shoes your working at a place some guy asks for your facebook you say its private and then he goes and searches you and friend requests you anyways. To me that's feeling like a line has been crossed because there are some relationships that you keep strictly business. I worked at a coffee shop and there were some pretty cool people who would come in on a regular basis and we would make small chat, but it was part of doing my job. At least now you know what to differently next time your in this situation. I'm in a similar situation there is this guy who i went to college with who would come to the coffee shop and we never talked that I recall. He was very socially off and had a habbit of wandering and looking totally spaced out. He found me on facebook and being nice I accepted well he trys to IM me and talk to me non stop so I removed him from my list. I'm not saying you would do this, but she probably doesn't know this and is thinking this is how it could end up.

TheNiteOwl

07 Oct 2011, 10:15 am

So true. I'll continue to be approachable and friendly. This will leave it open ended for others and not shut down the potential for friendship growth in the future.

sickforapathyx

08 Oct 2011, 11:09 pm

I don't understand how some aspies can take things like this so strongly, I applaud them for it. If it was me, I might have killed myself.

I want to say a couple things, it seems like you lack empathy for her here. If I was working as a waiter, and some gay guy asked me if I had facebook after 1-2 not very significant conversations, I might feel a bit uncomfortable. If you're genuinely interested in the person, you don't ask for further contact that early, you get to know them a bit, until not only do they see you as more regular, but as a friend. You gotta just let these things happen when your interested in someone.

Its also the kind of place this is, the waiters/waitresses are paid to friendly with customers and talk to you, and that may have been a cue that you didn't pick up on.

The big thing you did wrong was seeking her out on facebook when she said it was "private", or didn't even give you her last name. Its crossing boundries when someone hasn't let you in on themselves like that. She also sounds a bit snobby, but it could have just been because she was only talking to you because its her job, but I usually add people on facebook who I talk to outside of my classes at school, and give it out frequently.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 7:53 am

sickforapathyx wrote:
I don't understand how some aspies can take things like this so strongly, I applaud them for it. If it was me, I might have killed myself.

You'd feel like crap for awhile, but are you sure you'd kill yourself?

TheNiteOwl

10 Oct 2011, 2:01 pm

sickforapathyx wrote:
Its also the kind of place this is, the waiters/waitresses are paid to friendly with customers and talk to you, and that may have been a cue that you didn't pick up on.

The big thing you did wrong was seeking her out on facebook when she said it was "private", or didn't even give you her last name.

I'm too eager to jump in when somebody agrees to having the same interests. Her telling me she also liked French House music felt too unique. I had to pursue, which in hindsight, isn't what restaurants are for (unless of course she was pursuing me, which would be another fantasy altogether.)

I went out on limb one day while I was there, extended my hand, and told her my first and last name. Oddly enough, she told me her last name as well. Me: naive and not knowing how to process when I need love and attention. Her: Naive, possibly snooty, and too cute to ignore.

EmDaise
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2011, 3:01 pm

Hai!

I just wanted to chime in because I have been in the waitress's position too many times to count.

I agree with what others have stated, that banning you from the place was an overreaction.

My guess is that this has possibly happened to the waitress before or they just really didn't know how to properly handle the situation.

In any event, a word of advice, never try to be-friend women who are at work. Receptionist, hostesses, waitresses, etc. are oftentimes friendly, not because they are interested in you, but because it's their job to make people feel welcome and comfortable.

TheNiteOwl

10 Oct 2011, 4:06 pm

EmDaise wrote:
Hai!

I just wanted to chime in because I have been in the waitress's position too many times to count.

I agree with what others have stated, that banning you from the place was an overreaction.

My guess is that this has possibly happened to the waitress before or they just really didn't know how to properly handle the situation.

In any event, a word of advice, never try to be-friend women who are at work. Receptionist, hostesses, waitresses, etc. are oftentimes friendly, not because they are interested in you, but because it's their job to make people feel welcome and comfortable.

Thank you, EmDaize! I need to remember that the whole world isn't my living room. I can't just crawl in and make myself comfortable everywhere I go. That being said, it's much easier to stick a toe in the water first, rather than dive right in to find only hot water...