Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Afr0
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2011, 5:36 pm

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
This probably belongs in L&D, but it's nonetheless a big one:

WHY DO PEOPLE PLAY HARD TO GET???

Possible that someone's already answered this (I'm too lazy to read the entire thread), but the reason people do it is simply because some (not all) people enjoy it. It's like a game. It's especially popular with NT females, because they enjoy the thrill of the chase (in general - as with everything else there are exceptions).
Of course it can be hard for men to judge if their potential target (for lack of a better word) likes the thrill of the chase, so some men just default to playing hard to get from the outset. Some females do it too, but males seem to enjoy this tactic less than their female counterparts.
In general females like to play around first, males like to cut to the case.

acentupleflat
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2011, 9:54 pm

Every concept that is and is not NT I understand. I could say I don't understand what socializing is, but that's not true. I cant get the concept in practice, because the rules change according to a context I can't clearly see. Everyone picks up the rules immediately, I either over-intellectualize them or don't see them at all. Whatever I do, it seems its mere chance that I do somethign right. :cry:

I'm not a misanthropist though, I'm more angry at my lineage than at the world.

Kavindra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2011, 12:01 am

New here and wanted to ask what a NT's stands for? Thanks! :oops:

acentupleflat
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2011, 12:50 am

Kavindra wrote:
New here and wanted to ask what a NT's stands for? Thanks! :oops:

Neurotypical, a person without any genetic deficits or disorders. Your right this place needs a glossary somewhere :P

Kavindra

20 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

Thanks acentupleflat! I don't understand the purpose of makeup when it just covers up who you naturally are. Don't see the purpose of getting your nails done, just can't really see guys being impressed by this. Expensive purses and clothing with a logo splashed on it just seems silly. Mothers dressing there little girls up like there 20 years old for beauty pageant's is really wrong in so many ways. I don't get why celebrities make more money then a firefighter, police officer, teacher, doctor, military, and so on. Having plastic surgery just to look like all other woman who have it. Having botox so your face can look tight and scary.

gtw1983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Nov 2011, 11:06 am

ictus75 wrote:
I don't understand "Reality" TV shows. They don't seem very real to me. Just a lot of NTs pretending to be real…

Same here...I watch TV/movies to escape reality not delve deeper into it.
Why people want to face this vain and selfish world all day at school/work,and then come home to watch strangers do more of the same is beyond my understanding.

Lets see...I don't know why people (especially women) say they want one thing,and then go for the opposite.Even if it is self destructive they seem to prefer thrills and danger over stability and kindness.Being so called 'boring' in this world is the social kiss of death.

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

Kavindra wrote:
Thanks acentupleflat! I don't understand the purpose of makeup when it just covers up who you naturally are. Don't see the purpose of getting your nails done, just can't really see guys being impressed by this. Expensive purses and clothing with a logo splashed on it just seems silly. Mothers dressing there little girls up like there 20 years old for beauty pageant's is really wrong in so many ways. I don't get why celebrities make more money then a firefighter, police officer, teacher, doctor, military, and so on. Having plastic surgery just to look like all other woman who have it. Having botox so your face can look tight and scary.

Botox: In my honest opinion, makes people's faces look like plastic.
Nails: I don't see why either... No one pays attention to nails... Do they?
Make-Up: Makes my skin crawl...
Expensive Purses: IKR! It's just a purse! No one really cares about the logo (well, at least I don't)...
Beauty Pagents: So, I take that you don't like Miss America? Just asking ('cause I saw one episode of Toddlers and Tiaras, and I had to turn my TV off)...

How about these G-Shock watches? I don't get those either!

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 11:19 pm

Why NTs cant just tell you when theres something wrong. THey gotta do all the pesky annoying things that drives me completely paranoid.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 12:10 am

Why is hearing a baby cry for a few seconds or even for a minute ruin their rest of the time in a restaurant? All of a sudden their meal is ruined. Even if the mother got her baby out of there, someone's meal is still ruined because suffering for a few seconds ruined their whole outing there. :roll:

I don't think this is really an NT thing, it's more of an idiotic thing and I don't get it. I know not everyone is like this because I'm not. This seems to be a childfree trait. This is something I don't get about the childfree. It's like they see things in black and white and if one little thing goes wrong, they had a bad time despite all the good stuff of not seeing any misbehaved children or screaming babies and toddlers for long periods of the time but yet they only heard a baby cry for a few seconds and bam their meals were ruined so they keep their focus on that for why their time out was bad. Hey I know, black and white thinking is also a childfree trait. :lol:

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

League_Girl wrote:
Why is hearing a baby cry for a few seconds or even for a minute ruin their rest of the time in a restaurant? All of a sudden their meal is ruined. Even if the mother got her baby out of there, someone's meal is still ruined because suffering for a few seconds ruined their whole outing there. :roll:

I don't think this is really an NT thing, it's more of an idiotic thing and I don't get it. I know not everyone is like this because I'm not. This seems to be a childfree trait. This is something I don't get about the childfree. It's like they see things in black and white and if one little thing goes wrong, they had a bad time despite all the good stuff of not seeing any misbehaved children or screaming babies and toddlers for long periods of the time but yet they only heard a baby cry for a few seconds and bam their meals were ruined so they keep their focus on that for why their time out was bad. Hey I know, black and white thinking is also a childfree trait. :lol:

There was a kid in McDonald's that had a temper tantrum and some people started complaining... I just kept eating my food (because I am a) used to it because my brother has temper tantrums and b) it didn't bother me).

Ollytheaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Nov 2011, 12:09 pm

everything

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 11:35 am

My main thing, I wonder how NTs get through life seemingly with no thought process about anything at all. Like instead of their actions being planned, everything they do is just a reaction. They very rarely can explain "why" they actually do anything they do at all. That's my big separation for "NTs" my friend with Aspergers, before I even got my diagnosis or even thought about the possibility of me having it, we had a big talk, and we sorta just came to the conclusion that most people seem to just not "think."

In some ways, though, their thought process, or lack of it, benefits them. I'd really like to know how their not thinking thought process works, it just perplexes me, because my thought process is apparently very analytic about literally everything according to everyone else.

-------------------

I think as far as specific behaviors or whatever, I don't tend to fault people so much if they can explain why they do them. Like I tend to wear "preppy" clothes I buy at Salvation Army for like no money, and to me, it's a really great idea. The clothes fit well, they look good, and I can get used preppy clothes for less money than "nerdy" clothes with "nerd" stuff on them. Some preppy clothes, I specifically like the materials and build better. Like, American Eagle boxers are the finest boxers I've ever tried. Hanes boxers I need a medium, and American Eagle, I can take the small, as the American Eagle has larger leg holes. So, I've never had an "NT" explain exactly why they would say, wear preppy clothes. They just sort of have this thought process of "just because" and to me it's never an adequate reason for doing stuff. To an extent, the ultimate "NT" thought process is in the movie Idiocracy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs That's the biggest example of this thought process here.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 4:06 pm

1000Knives wrote:
My main thing, I wonder how NTs get through life seemingly with no thought process about anything at all. Like instead of their actions being planned, everything they do is just a reaction. They very rarely can explain "why" they actually do anything they do at all. That's my big separation for "NTs" my friend with Aspergers, before I even got my diagnosis or even thought about the possibility of me having it, we had a big talk, and we sorta just came to the conclusion that most people seem to just not "think."

In some ways, though, their thought process, or lack of it, benefits them. I'd really like to know how their not thinking thought process works, it just perplexes me, because my thought process is apparently very analytic about literally everything according to everyone else.

-------------------

I think as far as specific behaviors or whatever, I don't tend to fault people so much if they can explain why they do them. Like I tend to wear "preppy" clothes I buy at Salvation Army for like no money, and to me, it's a really great idea. The clothes fit well, they look good, and I can get used preppy clothes for less money than "nerdy" clothes with "nerd" stuff on them. Some preppy clothes, I specifically like the materials and build better. Like, American Eagle boxers are the finest boxers I've ever tried. Hanes boxers I need a medium, and American Eagle, I can take the small, as the American Eagle has larger leg holes. So, I've never had an "NT" explain exactly why they would say, wear preppy clothes. They just sort of have this thought process of "just because" and to me it's never an adequate reason for doing stuff. To an extent, the ultimate "NT" thought process is in the movie Idiocracy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs That's the biggest example of this thought process here.

Even worse than this is their aversion to thought. Why do I have to be the thinker in a group project? I know I like doing the more intellectual work, but is it not possible for others to think?

Bosun117
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm

I don't understand why women, particularly young women, brand the term "creeper" on guys they don't find attractive. I've been described as "creepy" by too many girls.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2011, 2:31 am

I don't understand why it's boring to others for me to "monologue" about a subject that is interesting but I'm supposed to listen to them for as long as they want when it's a relationship problem.

I don't understand talking about weather just to make small talk. I only mention it if it's incredibly out of the ordinary. I was trying to make fun of this with my sister the other day but then she admitted that she does it too when it's slow at her work to make conversation. My mind thinks if that's all you have to talk about then don't talk. I'd be quiet in that situation.

DarthMaul wrote:
I don't get why it's apparently wring to have obsessive interests.
Example: Assassin's Creed, Nikola Tesla, and whatever I can find of Leonardo da Vinci.

Tesla is awesome.

TenPencePiece wrote:
How the start of conversations is always the same "hello" "hi, how are you" "I'm alright (even though that's a lie), how are you" "I'm great!" [Awkward silence]

I know what you mean. This drives me nuts.

necroluciferia wrote:
I don't understand why NT women go out with men and then expect to change them

The changing people thing also strikes me as ridiculous.

1000Knives wrote:
My main thing, I wonder how NTs get through life seemingly with no thought process about anything at all.

I completely agree.

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Nov 2011, 4:08 pm

Quote:

I wonder... I can't seem to grasp how they can not think. I love working my brain! Whenever I have a moment of enlightenment, I have a brain blast! It's just an amazing sensation!

Quote:
Even worse than this is their aversion to thought. Why do I have to be the thinker in a group project? I know I like doing the more intellectual work, but is it not possible for others to think?

I understand what you mean. I may like thinking, but I want to hear other ideas except for my own. What I don't get is why do they not like to read. Do they not understand that there's a whole different world out there that you can find and discover by reading? That the lives of historical figures are practically begging to be read about? (Today is also Mark Twain's 176th birthday, and half of the class didn't know who he was (or knew that he hung out with The Tesla.)

Quote:
I don't understand why women, particularly young women, brand the term "creeper" on guys they don't find attractive. I've been described as "creepy" by too many girls.

I've just been branded as a stalker (because I used to stare at this girl in class without realizing it).

Quote:
I don't understand why it's boring to others for me to "monologue" about a subject that is interesting but I'm supposed to listen to them for as long as they want when it's a relationship problem.

I don't understand talking about weather just to make small talk. I only mention it if it's incredibly out of the ordinary. I was trying to make fun of this with my sister the other day but then she admitted that she does it too when it's slow at her work to make conversation. My mind thinks if that's all you have to talk about then don't talk. I'd be quiet in that situation.

Quote:
DarthMaul wrote:

I don't get why it's apparently wring to have obsessive interests.
Example: Assassin's Creed, Nikola Tesla, and whatever I can find of Leonardo da Vinci.

Tesla is awesome.

I know right? He's just... amazing. I love him. *fangirl drool*

Quote:
TenPencePiece wrote:
How the start of conversations is always the same "hello" "hi, how are you" "I'm alright (even though that's a lie), how are you" "I'm great!" [Awkward silence]

I know what you mean. This drives me nuts.

Then when I chime in about something, I'm verbally abused. :roll:

Quote:
necroluciferia wrote:
I don't understand why NT women go out with men and then expect to change them

The changing people thing also strikes me as ridiculous.

Don't try and change me, I'll change on my own.

Something else:
How do they (students and teachers) not know the difference between sleeping and thinking?