Regional Meetup & Networking Thread Index

Page 7 of 12 [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 8:47 am

I'm up for a meetup in London as well.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 10:00 am

Hey leafplant only just looked back at this thread.
No, it doesn't have to be Waterloo but who knows might be worth preparing for battle? :o
I think alebdo is hosting so it might be best to reach a vote on the location.

Portsmouth - Right by the main station in Portsmouth Harbour is Gunwharf Quays. Lots of fashion outlets, every kind of restaurant and a couple of bars. On top of that there's the cinema and an arcade for people wanting to retreat into games or a quiet screening. Personally I'd like it here for variety's sake and it being less stressful but if everyone thinks meeting in London would be easier I'd grab a seat on a coach and head up to there.

eddyr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2013, 7:10 pm

bump for north-east england.

aspies unite!

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 12:01 pm

I am thinking of going to London to check this out and just because I haven't been to the NHM for ages and I love it there.Wildlife photography comptetition at the Natural History Museum in London clicky

does anyone else want to go and maybe meet up?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 12:16 pm

The NHM is awesome. I love their rock and crystal collection, which is huge.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

^ does that mean you'd want to come along and meet up or were you just making conversation? (doh, aspie brain here)

I am thinking of taking half a day off work and going in the afternoon on a weekday so as to avoid crowds. Maybe next week one day. If any of you are really knowledgeable about some of the stuff in the NHM and wants a receptive ear for your special interest, do come along. I quite like rocks and crystals too ;)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 3:13 pm

Sorry, yes, it does. I should know better than to post something vague, I never pick up on it either.

I studied Geology, although the Geological part of the museum (different from the rock and crystal collection) is rather dilapidated, and I've visited that part many times. You know about rocks and crystals? I'd love to hear about them. :D

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 5:56 pm

I'd be honoured to make your acquaintance should you decide to head toward the heart of the Great Wen at some stage leafy.

I haven't been to the Natural History Museyroom since I was an autlet, and would no doubt find it much more interesting now that I'm technically an adult.

In fact, my abiding memory of the NHM is of a full-size blue whale, preserved in some manner (although it would have presented a formidable commission for even the most ambitious taxidermist), and hanging, silent, massive and and immobile In its own cathedral-sized room.

With typicaly childhood perversity, I was initially over-awed by the sheer size of the thing, and then sulkily-disappointed because its hide didn't display any huge sucker-marks from doing battle with the Giant Squid in the depths of the ocean.

Giant squid were a childhood fascination of mine, as they were still considered to be folkloric creatures (imagined to have been based on handed-down stories that were supposedly embellished with each new retelling, having their ultimate origin among tales told by sailors, involving exaggerations of sightings of normal but remarkably big squid) at that time (1970s) and therefore occupied that magical space in my brain in which I stored away the anomalous, unusual, neglected and peculiar.

By the way JanuaryMan, who's that in your avatar? He mighty sexy.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 7:57 pm

Hey London peeps,

I'm planning to go to Natural History Museum this coming Sunday the 17th, if you'd like to join me I'll be there at around 3:30pm.

If it rains I'm not going though :p

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 4:11 pm

Umm... I did go to the museum today. It was crowded so I only stayed there for about an hour.
They've set up an ice rink and a carousel outside the museum. It was quite romantic. Maybe not a good place to go alone lol

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 5:54 pm

CharityFunDay wrote:
If you mean now? It's Rutger Hauer in his Blade Runner days. If you meant before, that would have been me :lol:

Yuzu wrote:
Umm... I did go to the museum today. It was crowded so I only stayed there for about an hour.
They've set up an ice rink and a carousel outside the museum. It was quite romantic. Maybe not a good place to go alone lol
Really? Yes probably better for a group than a lone visitor in that case. Hope you had fun anyways, and maybe another time!

With December usually being a mad rush for everyone..who's up for a meet in Jan/Feb? :)

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 4:01 pm

Yuzu wrote:

Oh you are in the UK? For some reason I thought you were in the US. How weird. I wish I could have come! But the work has become mad again this month. Sounds too busy though although I love ice skating! Does anyone have small children we could borrow to go skating with? :D It will have to be January now.. :(

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 6:23 pm

leafplant wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

Oh you are in the UK? For some reason I thought you were in the US. How weird. I wish I could have come! But the work has become mad again this month. Sounds too busy though although I love ice skating! Does anyone have small children we could borrow to go skating with? :D It will have to be January now.. :(

No, I live in the US. I just happened to be in London for work. I'm back in the US now.
I might be able to go to London again in the spring. If you guys are going to have a meetup then, I'd like to come. :D

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 2:45 pm

I hope we meet you in spring then!

ratzo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2013, 7:01 pm

Dedalus wrote:
Dublin, Ireland?

Pretty sure there's a group, but I don't know where! :P

I'm in Belfast... close enough!

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 2:40 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
CharityFunDay wrote:
If you mean now? It's Rutger Hauer in his Blade Runner days. If you meant before, that would have been me :lol:

I meant the b/w pic of the guy with the eyepatch. I suspect you're having me on...