Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2019, 9:39 am

So I'm interested in social skills for adults with high functioning autism. I'm not sure I understand what it is I don't understand, I just know that I get confused and say the wrong thing. People get mad at me for seemingly no reason.

I know there is a barrier which they attack me if I go beyond it but I don't know why. Perhaps it is just evil bullying with no real reason behind it.

Searching for social skills for people with autism produces no useful results. All you get is the usual stuff for children or heavily disabled people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 9:46 am

When you first meet someone, just talk about your family. You usually can't get in "trouble" that way.

Don't talk about sex, politics, or religion unless the other person brings them up.

Try to at least appear that you are listening to what the other person says.

Don't assume somebody will be interested in what you're interested in.

Try not to "cut off" another person if the person is speaking.

Don't be too adamant in your opinions when you first meet someone.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 9:52 am

I think normal people use body language to warn others "not to go there." Most of us don't see those signs so we don't get the warning. Some of us try to compensate by memorizing rules. But, no set of rules is as good as being able to to see the warnings.

As an aside, it was proven that no set of rules for math can be complete and consistent if it includes arithmetic.
Gödel's incompleteness theorems

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2019, 10:40 am

BTDT wrote:
I think normal people use body language to warn others "not to go there." Most of us don't see those signs so we don't get the warning. Some of us try to compensate by memorizing rules. But, no set of rules is as good as being able to to see the warnings.

As an aside, it was proven that no set of rules for math can be complete and consistent if it includes arithmetic.
Gödel's incompleteness theorems

Please don't use the term "normal people", it suggests we are strange.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 10:49 am

Anyone who mentions Godel's theorem in a discussion on social skill is strange.

You may continue to have issues with relationships if you consider yourself normal but unable to have a relationship.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2019, 11:06 am

BTDT wrote:
Anyone who mentions Godel's theorem in a discussion on social skill is strange.

You may continue to have issues with relationships if you consider yourself normal but unable to have a relationship.

Who is "normal" anyway? I don't think anyone is. But we're getting off-topic here.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 7:21 pm

See about an autism support group for adults. You can exchange observations and tips without feeling judged for being different.

Incidentally, I found your strong objection to use of the word "normal" off-putting. Do you want to have a meaningful conversation with others here, or do you want to be right, and make sure everyone else is right (as you define it) as well?

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 10:25 pm

Adamantus wrote:
Please don't use the term "normal people", it suggests we are strange.

I don't know about you, but I am definitely strange.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2019, 5:30 am

BeaArthur wrote:
See about an autism support group for adults. You can exchange observations and tips without feeling judged for being different.

Incidentally, I found your strong objection to use of the word "normal" off-putting. Do you want to have a meaningful conversation with others here, or do you want to be right, and make sure everyone else is right (as you define it) as well?

It just seems like such a shame that everyone here is willing to accept being treated as an odd, weird, strange. I don't see why it has to be like that. People can understand that context of our differences rather than treating us as weirdos. That was the point I was making and I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to have that point of view.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 8:15 pm

Adamantus wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

It just seems like such a shame that everyone here is willing to accept being treated as an odd, weird, strange. I don't see why it has to be like that. People can understand that context of our differences rather than treating us as weirdos. That was the point I was making and I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to have that point of view.

You can HAVE any point of view you want. But, if you (editorially) cut off conversation based on your view, well...it doesn't promote social interaction. :D

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 8:54 am

You can compensate for that lack of social skill by being wealthy. People won't mind so much if you are incredibly wealthy and share that wealth with those around you.

Normal people get politely asked to leave golf courses if they don't know the social conduct conventions. It is different if you own the golf course.

seaguls5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2019, 10:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
When you first meet someone, just talk about your family. You usually can't get in "trouble" that way.

Don't talk about sex, politics, or religion unless the other person brings them up.

Try to at least appear that you are listening to what the other person says.

Don't assume somebody will be interested in what you're interested in.

Try not to "cut off" another person if the person is speaking.

Don't be too adamant in your opinions when you first meet someone.

talk about things like the weather music TV shows and things eveyone know about,

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 10:36 am

Yep.

I happen to like talking about the weather. One of my "special interests" is "weather around the world."

I believe we Spectrumites should seek a "common ground" with "neurotypical" folk, rather than try to be separate from them.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 6:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep.

I happen to like talking about the weather. One of my "special interests" is "weather around the world."

I believe we Spectrumites should seek a "common ground" with "neurotypical" folk, rather than try to be separate from them.

Yes, with HFA, it can be a healthy challenge in finding common-ground with NTs!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 10:10 pm

Adamantus wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

Well, you told another user, "Please don't use the term "normal people", it suggests we are strange."

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 1:36 am

I would consider becoming acquainted with an NT (or even someone with slight HFA) who is an awesome person both personally, and professionally; that is professionally they have had experience in assisting HFA colleagues, and clientele.

One good resource to consider is AANE Asperger Autism NEtwork www.aane.org - AANE grasps the challenges of HFA; that is AANE is aware of resources, experiences, etc. important for HFA progress!