Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2012, 1:11 pm

Anyone else sometimes get this feeling that they are "starved" of social interaction? Because that's how I've been feeling lately... I don't have any friends, was always bullied at school, the only time I did have some friends at school was 5th and 6th grade and I'm starting to think that was only because I happened to be into playing playstation games at the time.

I have gone through phases of thinking that I can live life perfectly on my own and that I don't need other people, but I'm starting to think that really, I do want some people that I can talk to or go out with at least sometimes...

I've been feeling kind of sad the past few days. I hope I'm not getting depressed.

Anyone else feeling really lonely?

smen
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Mar 2012, 1:25 pm

Yes, I am feeling that way, I have always felt that way. It's getting worse and I don't know what to do. I have made plenty of efforts believe me. I am 25 and if this is a preview of the rest of my life, which like a third has passed already, then I do not want to live it. It seems as if I am even invisible here as well.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

yep thats me as well. ive had no friends for about 12 years and i dont work. i live with my girlfriend and my daughter so i am lucky that way. it still doesnt stop me feeling the need for social contact though. ive often wondered what it must feel like to have a friend.

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2012, 1:38 pm

Yeah, I can relate to that.

In my opinion, when you're hungry, you need to eat... You can try to distract yourself from it, but that doesn't work. Same goes for drinking, Same goes for having to go to the toilet and same goes for social interaction... I'm lonely, so I need to interact with other people, I can spend all day on the computer playing video games and distracting myself, but that won't work. In the end, I'm gonna need some friends.

I feel like I've put a lot of effort into making friends as well. I am kind, polite, cooperative, I don't smoke, I don't drink, never offend anyone, yet I just can't connect with people very well.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 1:40 pm

I always feel lonely even if I am hanging out with people.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2012, 1:42 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

thats how i used to feel when i did have friends. i used to go to nightclubs with friends but even then i would feel totally alone and isolated.

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2012, 1:44 pm

Quote:

I feel like that as well when I happen to talk to someone at school and I believe it's a result from having been lonely for too long.

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2012, 2:07 pm

I'm just not making any progress socially... When I was a kid people used to tell me that I should stay patient and that I've got all of my life to make friends... But I think I'm getting old now... I'm 18 in about 2 months... If it didn't work up to the age of 18, I don't think it will the rest of my life.

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 2:16 pm

Its probably stupid, but i don't feel lonely a lot because i have a lot of social interaction online, and there are real people with real feelings behind the computer/laptop, but i just prefer to do stuff mostly on my own, it also helps when i go outside and sit on a bench and read and occasionally i have social interaction with someone outside because i go out for a walk every day for two hours, so uhm my advice would be to go out a lot, if you can :o I also go to the library a lot, i'm 19 right now by the way, turning 20 in april, oh and if you feel really bad you could try exercising, i do that a lot because it releases certain chemicals in the brain :o

Anyway sorry for the rambling, i do feel super lonely sometimes, but life is unpredictable so who knows what will happen, there's a good chance of making friends one day maybe not now but some day :o But thats just what i think.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2012, 2:18 pm

Zexion wrote:
I'm just not making any progress socially... When I was a kid people used to tell me that I should stay patient and that I've got all of my life to make friends... But I think I'm getting old now... I'm 18 in about 2 months... If it didn't work up to the age of 18, I don't think it will the rest of my life.

actually thats not really a theory to stand by.

as you get older you mature and this can lead to letting go of some of the issues you may have. you may find that in time you actually grow more confident without actually realising it.

do not write yourself off yet

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2012, 2:29 pm

Quote:
i go out for a walk every day for two hours

Do you daydream and listen to music while you're walking? Why do you walk 2 hours a day?

Quote:
as you get older you mature and this can lead to letting go of some of the issues you may have. you may find that in time you actually grow more confident without actually realising it.
People just keep telling me that, but I'm really starting to think that I will just be lonely all my life.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2012, 2:46 pm

Zexion wrote:
People just keep telling me that, but I'm really starting to think that I will just be lonely all my life.

change comes when you least expect it.

10 years ago i thought i was doomed to be mentally abused by idiot women and then out of nowhere a letter lands on my doorstep and ten years later here i am.

i always thought i would have nobody at all and yet one letter was all it took.

you just never ever know what will happen

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2012, 2:52 pm

Zexion wrote:
Do you daydream and listen to music while you're walking? Why do you walk 2 hours a day?

Although this question wasn't directed towards me....I do that, too. Not 2 hours though. 1 hour is enough. I listen to music while walking. And I do that because this is the time when I can introspectively think about myself, my life, my feelings, but also the environment surrounding me, other people, what they think, how they might feel, philosophical and exestential stuff, encounters, the past, future and present...etc. Usually I'm busy doing things (related to my interests) so walking outside is the only time of the day I am really looking deeply into myself and others. It's the time I use to process everything I've gathered so far concerning the social realities of life. Music shields me from outside interference to this internal processing.

Anyway, 18 is not getting old. You still have plenty of time. If you go out into the world,...maybe do some "extracurricular activities", recreational activities, people may approach you. You never know. There's no point in giving up hope so early in life.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

18 Mar 2012, 4:05 pm

aww, cheer up dude. i'll be your friend :)

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

I feel pretty socially isolated because I'm at home all day, I work from home. I moved back in with my parents. I do have a few friends but I live in a small town and I don't drive so life can be pretty lonely and boring sometimes. I'd love to have a meet-up group with members on this site from Ontario.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 4:22 pm

I do not feel socially starved, i think i have enough interaction. The problem is that i need to connect to people on a deeper level. Just talking about random gossip or the weather is not fulfilling this need i have.
The loneliness doesn't come from social starvation just the fact that i have no deep connections with any people, or they are very short lasting. Getting a glimpse at it, leaves me with a hole afterwards.

Lately this nervous or unsatisfied undertone i don't know what it is but its negative has come on again. My conclusion is that the more i have superficial interaction the more i have a need to connect on a deeper level as well. So i am going back to basics. No social media for at least a week, and trying to ice up again. Basically going into hermit mode.