Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

runfromcheney
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jun 2012, 10:03 pm

After my high school years were so socially turbulent, I generally withdrew during my senior year and became pretty reclusive after I graduated, which continues to today. However, I am feeling a lot more confidence now and I want to get back out in the world and start socializing more. But now that I am not in a socially constructive environment like high school, I am kinda unsure where to start to meet new people. I looked at some stuff going on at MeetUp, but the groups that interested me either didn't have any upcoming activities planned or had so many members that their upcoming meetings were full and you have to get on a waiting list for even a chance to attend. I am just generally unsure how I proceed, I just decided that I want to get out in the world and be more social.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 12:37 am

Good ways to get involved are to volunteer at charity shops, go to charity events, help out at a local organization or church, go to groups that are related to your specific interests and find a local events paper. You could always try to organize something yourself through various advertisements if you have the confidence to do so.

thepurplefire13
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2012, 9:26 pm

You could join the adult class at a karate studio. Martial artists are really nice, and studios are very social, encouraging, and supportive places. You could also join a group that talk about your interests, like a book club, a discussion club, art club, car fanatic club, gun club, etc. Trust me, joining a group like this is worth the effort. It really helps you come out of your shell, just make sure it's a supportive group and not one that demeans and degrades those who are different.

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2012, 11:24 pm

High school is not necessarily constructive- actually I think it can be socially destructive too. It is different (and changing sometimes) for people. Just focus on you presently! Meetup.com is a great idea! Things being added on (and taken away sometimes) too. Also, you can look up forums where locals might talk about your area and start asking or chatting on those forums too, or talk on forums that cover your particular interest.

Attend a conference or a camp if you can.