Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

GlitchyEel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jun 2012, 3:14 pm

Hi all, I've been having difficulty as of late. At school, I can't seem to talk to anyone. When I try to join in on a conversation people either ignore me or say that what I said was mean/rude :shrug: . It doesn't really make sense to me. I haven't been wanting to go school because of it and I fear that my grades have started slipping. I just feel like my ability to socialize is falling apart. If anyone here can explain to me the do's and don't's of basic social interaction, that would be great. :alien:

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

<----- Social failure. Can't explain squat!

GlitchyEel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
<----- Social failure. Can't explain squat!

I got a giggle out of that :D

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

Rather than trying to get involved in a conversation, can you spend some time observing others in conversation, and analytically figure out when to enter into the conversation, and analyze what other people like to talk about? I think that's what NT's do, and they do it over years, from when they are very young -- because they have a strong desire to fit in socially, they will unconsciously observe when to do what, and how to do it. Make it sort of a science project -- even going as far as tabulating topics and counting the time it takes for people to reply, etc.

Irishcream
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2012, 3:38 pm

GlitchyEel wrote:
Hi all, I've been having difficulty as of late. At school, I can't seem to talk to anyone. When I try to join in on a conversation people either ignore me or say that what I said was mean/rude :shrug: . It doesn't really make sense to me. I haven't been wanting to go school because of it and I fear that my grades have started slipping. I just feel like my ability to socialize is falling apart. If anyone here can explain to me the do's and don't's of basic social interaction, that would be great. :alien:

I am sorry to hear about the troubles you are having, I can totally sympathise with you. It is difficult to guess what you are saying is causing offence, but I guess it is probably similar to all aspies. There are some basics in any group conversation that you need to adhere to. Things like:
1. don't interrupt the natural flow of conversation (as in suddenly change topic)
2. jumping in with your own thoughts when others are mid sentences (I do this a lot, and I am trying to stop).
3. do compliment others.
4. don't criticise others (unless they are really really good friends).
5. don't express ideas/thoughts that are too far off from the general group "thought process" (this one is hard for aspies, as we have a poor ability to view things from other's perspectives).
6. do appear relaxed and easy going (but not too much, i.e. like hippy-like)
etc.

There are loads of these "rules". I am reading a book on this at the moment, as I am trying to help myself in social situations. Message me, or post here, if I can be of any more help.

IrishC

Irishcream
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2012, 3:43 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:
Rather than trying to get involved in a conversation, can you spend some time observing others in conversation, and analytically figure out when to enter into the conversation, and analyze what other people like to talk about? I think that's what NT's do, and they do it over years, from when they are very young -- because they have a strong desire to fit in socially, they will unconsciously observe when to do what, and how to do it. Make it sort of a science project -- even going as far as tabulating topics and counting the time it takes for people to reply, etc.

I think this is an excellent idea. The thing is aspies love, and I mean LOVE, analysing and organising things into logical structures. I think that is why normally social things are difficult as they are very illogical and unstructured. But if you can make learning about social things a "science project", then your aspie mind, I think, will accept the info and understand it better. Just don't let any NT know that you are doing this, or see any writing, they WILL NOT appreciate it.

Irishcream
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2012, 3:43 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:

I think this is an excellent idea. The thing is aspies love, and I mean LOVE, analysing and organising things into logical structures. I think that is why normally social things are difficult as they are very illogical and unstructured. But if you can make learning about social things a "science project", then your aspie mind, I think, will accept the info and understand it better. Just don't let any NT know that you are doing this, or see any writing, they WILL NOT appreciate it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 5:08 pm

<----- Has to be dragged kicking and screaming to social events. :twisted:

Last edited by redrobin62 on 04 Jun 2012, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 5:50 pm

You mean there are rules:?::!: :lol:

GlitchyEel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jun 2012, 7:15 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:

This sounds like a good idea, schleppenheimer. I will try this tomorrow :D

GlitchyEel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jun 2012, 7:20 pm

Thanks for the responses Irish Cream, schleppenheimer, questor, and redrobin62! (redrobin62 and questor, thanks for the funny posts :cyclopsani: :afro: :cyclopsani: ) Also, thanks for the outline of social interactions, Irish Cream :)

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:17 am

i'm actually writing an entire book about it, as there are a lot of them. :)

Irishcream
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2012, 4:21 am

GlitchyEel,

you are welcome. The book I am reading at the moment (one of many on the social stuff, a break up has made me think that maybe I need to change a few things about myself) is called Social Skills for Teenagers and Adults with Asperger's syndrome by Nancy Patrick (got it on kindle). I am only 29% of the way through, but it seems really good so far. Can let you know if it would be a good book to get hold of for yourself, and others too.

later

Irish C