Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

aspergerbil
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jun 2012, 7:04 pm

So, for all you cali spectrumites....
How is Irvine?
Are you involved in any friendship groups?
I am moving there shortly with my new husband and am really, really looking forward to it. :D

AS_Citizen_43275-B
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2012, 8:36 pm

Irvine is nice... Always appears in the safest cities list.

I have noticed a few members that reside in the OC. However, I don't know of any local aspie friendship groups. I am sure someone will reply with an answer.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 1:17 am

Irvine is on the safest cities list, but it is rather conformist and you have to drive miles to get anything accomplished. It would take more than an hour to walk to the nearest convenience store. That said, it's also a bit more expensive for some goods and services for all the 'rich' people live there. Not as exorbitant as LA county though.

There is something I Googled called Orange County Asperger;s Association on Meetup, from what I was able to dig up I didn't feel like I would be acceptable to them. The only other alternative I saw so far was something at Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, which borders Irvine in some places. That group is supposed to be facilitated by a doctor who specializes in the spectrum, I would like to check that one out myself.

I'm in Garden Grove, which is roughly a half hour drive to the heart of Irvine. Many cities here have weird boundaries so you can easily pass through 4 towns driving a few blocks. That said, despite a somewhat lackluster reputation, Santa Ana has many nice sections that could be mistaken for Irvine or Tustin, the homes there are a little better of a price-to-features ratio and it is the center of all the important matters that keep OC functioning . Just don't move near 17th/Bristol if you value your sensories, personal space or your time.

aspergerbil
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jun 2012, 8:22 am

Wow, ok thanks. We just found this one place that looked really convenient and helpful, since I am relocating from the east coast. I am not going to be specific on locations, but yeah, holy crap. I like how everything is new there, instead of old and falling apart. I also liked the look of Tustin. Perhaps when we decide to buy a house, it will be there. Remembering the layout of Irvine, that sounds about right.
Thanks for the tips!

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 10:45 am

There is a site called city-data that contains pretty decent stats although I've noticed not all cities have the same lists, there are also fora where people can post topics; like other sites there are trolls but these ones just like to talk trash on everyone else's towns. One of my favorite features of OC are the roads: wide and smooth, but I've also been able to find little pockets of nature hidden away behind all the built-up. As far as socializing with other aspies I'd like to find somewhere based on sharing experiences and solutions, not so much on interests since I'm not huge into games or movies. If you happen to find such a place when you settle in I would be interested in exploring that myself

aspergerbil
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jun 2012, 5:35 pm

Interesting! About the sharing experiences and solutions. Cool! Also, the roads are something I really REALLY look forward to. The worst roads in LA are decent for where I'm from, which is NY, so there's always potholes, cracks, and construction. :P