do u sometimes feel like your social progress goes backwards

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 11:37 pm

i've always put a great deal of effort when it comes to trying to improve my social skills, fitting in (but trying to be myself), and having interesting things to talk about to improve my abilities to make new friends and contacts. there's been many times that i've felt like i'm been impressed with my social progress but other times i've felt like i've only been tricked in to thinking that. for most of my life since making the initial effort in the area of social improvement, i've felt like i've made progress however right now i'm feeling like i'm actually back tracking in my process. I look back at the years when I was in highschool and was amazing at how much i'm gotten out of my courage zone and try to talk to people but now I feel more nervous compared to then and have a harder time thinking of things to say and topics to talk about....maybe it's people peopel are older and their social skills are now at a higher rank. Do you relate to this feeling too?

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 11:44 pm

This is true of most things in life.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 1:59 am

well yeah. some days i go really well with everything(well almost everything) and compared to highschool, heck, compared to 2 years ago i am a god at social interaction but some days i just go really far back and i seem to hit walls i've already smashed into and crawled away from and if i don't practice constantly then it's even more obvious. after we go on break for uni for one week i won't even be able to make eye contact.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2012, 1:50 pm

I've improved a lot as I've grown up, mainly because I've realised I don't need to care if people think I'm a bit weird. But some days and with certain people I walk away from a social interaction wanting to punch myself in the face because I've messed it up so bad. I can usually think of something good to say after, but unfortunately there's no rewind button on life :(