Page 6 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

What program whould you prefer for the meet-up?
Natural History Museum 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Victoria and Albert Museum (functional and decorative art pieces) 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Royal Observatory Greenwich 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
British Museum (cultural relics from all over the world) 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Tate Modern (20th and 21th century art) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Guildhall (medieval hall, flags of the City's guilds, art gallery, clock museum) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Royal Air Force Museum 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

modelmaker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2012, 3:16 pm

Quote:
I've gone up to London 4 times before with my family, and each time the trains broke down coming back, and the average time it took on the way there was an hour and a half without breaking down).

I think it was up untill 1998 Network South East were most likely still using elderly class 308 & 312 EMU's in parts of essex with 24kv overhead electification.

I had hoped to have attended the meet, but could'nt due to recent financial issues taking priority, so maybe next time.

Can someone tell me how to apply my signature to my posts ?..., as my pen scratches my PC screen !

PM me anytime for advice, chat or just to say hello.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:22 pm

modelmaker wrote:
Quote:
I've gone up to London 4 times before with my family, and each time the trains broke down coming back, and the average time it took on the way there was an hour and a half without breaking down).

I think it was up untill 1998 Network South East were most likely still using elderly class 308 & 312 EMU's in parts of essex with 24kv overhead electification.

I had hoped to have attended the meet, but could'nt due to recent financial issues taking priority, so maybe next time.

Actually, the first time I went up was 2001, then 2004, then 2005, then 2006. I know this was just 4 times but it seems funny that all the 4 times I have been on trains up to London they had broken down. So it's sort of off-putting, and it did make me anxious.

For some unexplainable reason, buses breaking down doesn't make me as anxious as trains breaking down, but that's a different topic.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:34 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Well I went to the natural history museum and couldn't find anyone there.

This was one of the reasons why I didn't want to go. I am prone to panic attacks, and getting trains all the way up to London on a busy Saturday all on my own is enough to make me anxious anyway, and I don't know my way around London anyway, and I was afraid that if I got there I might either end up lost or confused, or nobody might turn up or I might not be able to find anyone there.

The same happened to me last week in a town that was only about 11 or 12 miles away on a regular bus route. I went there to meet up with a friend (who I had known for a few years) and as soon as I got there I found he had text me saying he couldn't make it, so I had to hang about on my own in an unfamiliar place for the next bus. I don't really want that to happen up London, especially after spending a lot of money on train fares to get all the way up there (I may live in Essex but London is still quite far from where I come from, and I don't go there often. I've gone up to London 4 times before with my family, and each time the trains broke down coming back, and the average time it took on the way there was an hour and a half without breaking down).

But anyway I hope it all went well for those who did turn up.

You see, there were some "minor" issues with the orginizing, due to my imprudence... Anyway, I could have PMd you my phone number so we could have text each other to make arrangments. The event was happening, some of us were there, only we could not meet.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:46 pm

I apologize for this mishap to all of you. I tried my best, and although it didn't work out well, I believe at least I did the right thing. I pushed my limits, made the effort. Maybe next time it will be better, if I ever come back and have the opportunity.

I wish the next meet-up would be much better.