Is it normal for friends to log out of FB during chat?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SHAGZ
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2016, 4:39 am

I've been trying to start a conversation with a couple of my real life friends on Facebook.

And they have logged out without saying goodbye in the first couple of messages.

It makes me feel unwanted and straight after they logged off I checked to see if they haven't de friended me.

One of the conversations I tried to invite him for a hang out during the School Holidays he hasn't responded.
Makes me feel like I've done something wrong and have came off like a needy loner.

Here was he conversation.

Him: Hi

Me: Hey what you up to? Want to hang out someday?

Him: How are you?

Me: Good thanks.

that was the conversation.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 4:48 am

Personally I think you did come up with the question too quick.

This would probably have encouraged a bit more:

Him: Hi
You: Hi.
Him: How are you?
You: I'm good thanks. You?

--

He would presumably then tell you how he was. You could then ask what he has planned for the summer, or what he's been up to, and then suggest getting together.

I personally (admittedly speaking from the autistic point of view, so this may not apply) would feel quite threatened and uncomfortable if someone responded to 'Hi' with 'Hi. Want to meet up?'.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 4:50 am

Oh, and to add. I'd say it's perfectly normal for people to log out mid conversation. I wouldn't treat this like walking off in the middle of a face-to-face conversation.

People often jump in and out of Facebook around their real lives - perhaps in the car park when they've parked their car, a quick check before they get out to do their shopping. Maybe waiting in line in a shop, or just before they fall asleep at night. Things do get in the way so conversations often tend to take breaks and then continue much later.