Do you find that social networks like Facebook have ruined.?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LittleSwallow
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2012, 1:55 pm

your chance of a proper social life?

I know they say that it's optional, that you don't have to join so don't complain, but let's face it, when you are painfully shy and socially awkward, which would you choose: talking to a person upfront or on a site? I think I wouldn't be the only person to say that I would have spoken to friends more on sites like Bebo and Facebook and through texts rather than meeting up in real life. That and the fact that EVERYTHING is happening on facebook, like birthday events. I mean what happened to a nice old invitation in the post? Also I find now that if you don't have a huge invite list on facebook and your party is a small number, it is therefore "an ok party" even though it is the people you know and like. Now it's all trying to get the biggest party going, even when you don't know half of them, all for the sake of being popular. :roll:

I really wish these f**king sites never existed. I never knew how addicting they would be, and I would spend ages on them. Even worse, when I had no one to talk to on it, I would just look at other people's pages, because this was before "stalking" came into place, and you were able to comment on a picture or like a person's status without them, with their heads up their own asses, thinking that you "stalk" them, especially in my situation, where I am the weirdo of my year. :roll: :oops:

Because of these sites, it is impossible to try and talk to people and meet them in real life, and also because of my AS, saying stuff online that would be labelled as "weird" by people, and then not saying a word of it the next day...I mean it is a nightmare trying to show people I am not some stalking weirdo psycho or something, just because they base me from my profile. I could not give a s**t about ANY of them.
One guy thought I fancied him because I stared at him by accident one day, and was staring me back and being mean, trying to itimidate me....he is my cousin (he doesn't know that since we are distant) and also he looks like a duck, so would not go there if he was not related to me. :lmao:

Does anyone else feel the smae about their social lifes on these sites?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 2:07 pm

<--- Left FB this year. Good riddance.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

It's strange how those "people websites" are so popular. I always thought the word people(pee-pull) is pretty funny sounding in itself. lol

minotaurheadcheese
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

I hate those ******* sites. Though it may not be the intent (from the people who run or who use them,) for me, all they are is an opportunity for smiley social people to publicize their smiley social pictures, events, and games, while those who are not well liked get to feel marginalized by their smaller friends list and resent the invitations and tags that never come. I found Facebook addictive when I joined it as well, but all it ever did was made me feel like a loser, so I quit. I'm not a big South Park fan, but I think the episode "You Have Zero Friends" summed it up pretty nicely.

"And there are days when I would be away . . . Oh, wherever men of my sort used to go, long ago. Wandering on paths that other men have not seen. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain." -Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

questor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 4:00 pm

I don't do social sites, except for here at WP, and Dear Abby--I like to comment on some of the DA letters. I see no need for the general social sites. I keep in touch by phone, email, snail mail, and in person, with those I want to stay in touch with. You don't need a social site for any of that. From what I've read, at least some of these sites have gotten pretty invasive, in and of themselves, as well as making it easy for others to stalk you, or get bent out of shape at not being "friended" or at being "unfriended." And others can also use info on your site against you. So no thanks on having an account at a general social site. Besides, I'm an introverted hermit. What do I need with a social site account? :lol: What would I call it--"Hermits of the world, unite?" :lmao:

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 4:49 pm

Yes... however it also allowed me to vent my anger towards them so they knew I can give back what I get.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

Sites like FB actually remind me of when I was in high school. I just didn't hang out with the other kids. I did have one friend in 10th grade but other people convinced him I was bad news so he avoided me in 11th & 12th grade. I used to sit far away from the other students while they socialized. Odd man out. That's me. Could never assimilate with the "in crowd" or any crowd.

Meow333
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2012, 5:59 pm

Social sites are horrible, they are ruining the world and and newer computer generations in that instead of physically socializing kids are doing so creating their own "virtual worlds" which don't exist. NTs who are raised up on FB and other social sites you'd think would have trouble actually socializing in reality do to it, yet i'm not sure. I've seen some of the NTs appear just fine. They are so confusing...

I don't think the internet helps kids socialize unless they are isolated to begin with, and then via the internet, it helps them out of isolation (isolated by geography, parents, etc)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Jun 2012, 8:15 pm

I'm a lot better at talking to people online than offline & I've joined MySpace years ago & it was a waste of my time because I didn't have any offline friends to add & the few people who were my friends I've met on other forums or they were people who send out numerous friend request to many different people & we never really chatted. I imagine FB is the same way; you need to have friends to add in order to network & get more friends.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Issit
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

FB just makes me sad.

I write to my mum...nothing.
My sis..nothing.
Other people..no reply.
Even though I see them as friends..

But, yes, there are weird replies sometimes.

I add there a video or a picture I find interesting...no likes.

One very good friend of mine..or so I thought, unfriended me, not really sure why.

FB is just a another bleeding wound in my life atm.

Syalbar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2012, 10:09 pm

Urgh, hate hate hate social network sites. The only thing internet is good for, as far as I'm concerned , is banking and shopping :D

I will never understand the fact how putting a public profile of yourself - online - for (practically) - the whole world to see, can be good in any way. It is just really weird in my mind - I could never put a photo of myself online, but when it comes to various friends of mine; I know that they have taken photos of me, and they may have been distrubuited online, whether through FB or otherwise. It pisses me off a bit, but, you know, I'm not 'there' in the first place, so how could I complain?

I think too many people see the online world interconnnected with the 'real world'. As far as I'm concerned, if anyone came up to me and said 'I've seen you online' it would be a massive No-No, and a total invitation to blank them, espcially since I'm not on FB/MS/TWitR/ in first place.

I would stick to email or text. At least they give you time to compose your thoughts and, in general, people are a lot more respectful. :)

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 10:55 pm

The worst thing about Facebook is the Wall Post feature. That totally ruins it and is a horrible format for meaningful discussion. It's the social equivalent of a news aggregator.

Without that Facebook as a center of networking and where people Message each other might be much better.

Also I simply find that Forums are far superior for having a real discussion as opposed to a News Feed of status updates that trickles down the Facebook wall.

So yeah I have joined the ranks that have quit Facebook 2 years ago.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 1:35 am

I never had a Facebook (did make a troll one, though, back when I was younger and less mature and found internet trolling fun.) I had a twitter and deleted it. Nobody read my stuff anyway. Whatever.

So my problem with not having Facebook is it makes you a non person. That's what my sister says. Without Facebook, you basically don't exist. And it's true. So back when I was "hanging out" with more people, I never had Facebook, so people would never tell me anything in person, they'd only be like "Yeah I posted that we were gonna hang out on Facebook" and I'd be like "I don't have Facebook" and usually it's a matter of "What's your problem, you don't got Facebook?!"

I figure all my true friends will just call me or email me if they need me. But, I believe nowadays at my age, without Facebook, it's hard to have an active social life. So I don't have either. Woohoo.

LittleSwallow
Raven
Raven

30 Jun 2012, 5:06 am

Issit wrote:
FB just makes me sad.

I write to my mum...nothing.
My sis..nothing.
Other people..no reply.
Even though I see them as friends..

But, yes, there are weird replies sometimes.

I add there a video or a picture I find interesting...no likes.

One very good friend of mine..or so I thought, unfriended me, not really sure why.

FB is just a another bleeding wound in my life atm.

That's was similiar to my situation. I would post up statues or videos that would get a lot of likes if it was one of the "popular" people, but I get only one or two likes or sometimes no likes at all.

Also this one girl was two-faced for a year last year, then one night came up to me and apoligized and told me how I was sound and stuff like that. Was nice to me all year, blah, blah, (I always kept a wary eye though)
It was our last year so once we got the summer holidays, she deleted me off too. Nice. :roll: :(

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 12:41 pm

Childhood friends, school mates, college mates are not interested in adding me. Why i add a comment to their pictures they have deleted the comment
They keep adding events and social get together pictures where i am not invited.

So recently i created a new profile where i would add my cousins, office colleagues and some friends.

Sad part again there was a misunderstanding when one of my office colleague wrote to me and informed me she
had fight with other colleague. I wrote to her thats how this rubbish colleagues are after that she never replied
i found all this nasty and stupid.

Even my cousins were giving cold shoulder approach so ultimately i deleted that account. Most of the people in my
office are friends and they attend social functions, outings and parties together since i am not invited i already feel
left out and looking at their photos i feel all the more left out.

Instead of continuing being called stupid, odd one out i decided to quit Facebook. Its sheer waster of time and instead
its always better to go out and take a walk with a good friend or pet a cat then waste considerable amount of time
looking into others profile or being inquisitive.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 12:51 pm

1000Knives wrote:

So my problem with not having Facebook is it makes you a non person. That's what my sister says. Without Facebook, you basically don't exist.

Sometimes I wonder if the opposite is true. What are you on Facebook? Just a name in someone's list. Like an object of curiosity on their shelf to be picked up and examined. Looking at your pictures or biography.

I think Facebook can potentially Depersonalize people in a weird way. Then even if they do meet in person it might gradually become more superficial.