what do you do at an adult aspergers support group?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2011, 12:14 pm

What do people do at a support group for adults with aspergers?

I want to meet people that have similar difficulties as I do but I don't really want to sit around and talk about it. That sounds like putting together a water polo event for people without legs.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 12:45 pm

You're implying that a room full of aspies would just sit around awkwardly and not look at each other. Not always true. I've seen more than one all-aspie group which was very talkative AND well moderated by aspies. So there.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Dec 2011, 1:21 pm

You would just go with the flow. I belong to an adult Aspie support group. We usually go around the table and each person can talk about what's presently going on in their life, or not talk, if they choose. Sometimes a pretty good discussion can spring from this. We have gone out to a nature park and had a picnic lunch there (each person brought their own food.) We also meet once a month at a local bookstore/restaurant for lunch. It can be quite nice.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 1:34 pm

The two groups I belong to actually we discuss our difficulties and someone in the group may have some solutions on how to handle a particular problem or situation or if something is bothering you-you have someone who will listen without judgement and understands your difficulties-the big thing is without judgement-its comforting to know we as a group are not alone.The other group gets out and does social outings and get togethers and we have a great time with other people like us and have neat discussions and again no judgments and no one is forced to do things they are uncomfortable with doing.

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2011, 3:34 pm

i attend an adult aspergers support group, we meet at a pub once a month and the members are extremely friendly and supportive! :)

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 4:18 pm

I attended two aspie (they were therapy groups) for young adults. One, the people were very talkative and tried to interact with each other and friendships seemed to be formed. The other one, polar opposite, we would just sit there and stare at each other, do are own thing. The mediator(an NT) would have to get us to talk. So really, it can vary, depending on the aspie and how motivated the aspies are to interact with each other.

AQ: 33
Borderline aspie here

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 12:37 am

Drink. When I started my own group, we started out with the support group model and quickly had problems with monologues and negativity, so we went to more of a social group pattern. Things really took off when the group co-organizer and I both started cooking for the group and offering beer and wine at the meetings, nobody gets drunk or anything but the slight social lubrication really works wonders. As to what actually goes on, it's like a Star Trek convention collided with a MENSA chapter and decided to go out for drinks; it looks for all the world like the world's nerdiest cocktail party until you catch bits of all the extremely odd and specialized conversations going on. All meetings are not created equal however, I've been to some real draggers where one person just dominates the meeting with their endless tales of woe, and that's just no fun for anyone.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

I have attended social groups for adults with Asperger's Syndrome before and from my experience they are quite good better if its a smaller group though.

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jan 2012, 12:29 pm

GCA meets monthly for two hours. From 6-7 pm, we have a presenter talk about an aspect of adults living with AS/HFA. From 7-8 pm, members socialize. GCA is beginning to add social events outside of when support group meets, as opportunities for folks to escape isolation and be around like-minded individuals.

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

Mickey44
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Sep 2012, 5:32 pm

Hi there everyone

I would like your help and some ideas. I'm goin to set up a Aspy+ friends and family social group.
I have been surround all my life with friends and family members with learning difficulies. I have found
there is a need for a social dating scene for high functioning adults. A friend of mine has asked for my help
as he would like to meet new people and a girlfriend.
I am based in the UK East Manchester.
Ideas so far are
1/ Hire a room have music and a buffet a social evening, to mix and mingle.
2 / A quiet group meeting in a pub and have a drink and chat.
3/ Have a group of people become members then arrange different activities, like theatre, meals out etc.
I would like some feed back of how you would handle these outings or would it be too much.
Loads of feedback please. but constructive.

If we can get it set up maybe we can put all info together and pass on for other groups to be established.

Thank you for your help.
Micky :D

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2012, 2:51 am

I attend a social group. It's held in the Autism centre which is like a house but converted. There are different things going on in each room. People talk and eat in the kitchen, some people play the Wii, there's computers and table tennis somewhere else, the office where people sometimes sit and talk and there's a sensory room.

I've only heard a couple of conversations about autism whilst there. Most people don't ever really mention it. It's only ever been bought up by the people attending the group, rather than the workers, which I quite like.

Mickey44 - I think having activities to do helps. If there's just social time, it can be a bit intimidating. If there's an activity to do, it provides something to focus on and talk about.