Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

minotaurheadcheese
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2012, 8:45 am

In a couple of days I am going to an event designed to let students "mingle" with the Linguistics faculty. It's going to be a pizza party. Normally I avoid parties and such like the zombie apocalypse, but I should really go because I need to get to know more people so I can get advice and letters of reference for graduate school/assistantships.

This is exactly the kind of thing I am WORST at when it comes to socializing. A large group of people where I don't really know anyone. No one approaches me, because they don't already know me and I'm always told I'm not approachable. So, I have to take the initiative, but I never know whom to approach, how to approach them, what topics of conversation to engage in, or even where to look (when it's crowded, you can't stare anywhere without someone thinking you're staring at them :? ) Then because I'm so nervous, I always say something ridiculous and end up with an attack of foot-in-mouth disease.

So. Any tips?

(Oh and ftr, alcohol's not an option in this case. It wouldn't be appropriate, and what's more it would exponentially increase the chances of the foot-in-mouth thing.)

"And there are days when I would be away . . . Oh, wherever men of my sort used to go, long ago. Wandering on paths that other men have not seen. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain." -Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 9:09 am

Eat a lot. Have some energy drinks before the party or during the party, to speed the social cues processing times up. Uhm, try not to talk to people too long about your special interests. I guess that's what I've learned for parties.

TonyHoyle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2012, 11:56 am

Hang around the food - firstly, you're not the 'wierdo at the back' any more (and you can occupy yourself by eating), and secondly lots of other people do that so there's reasonable chance of getting into a conversation.

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2012, 12:48 pm

TonyHoyle wrote:
Hang around the food - firstly, you're not the 'wierdo at the back' any more (and you can occupy yourself by eating), and secondly lots of other people do that so there's reasonable chance of getting into a conversation.

I always end up doing this because I think I will look semi-normal, but I always end up eating too much, like literally non-stop eating, which backfires and makes me look super weird anyway.

The good thing, is you already know who you need to talk to. You said your goal is letters of recommendation and assistantships, so you know to focus on professors. I would say, just walk up and tell them you're making the rounds trying to meet the professors and learn what classes they teach. You can maybe tell them a little about what interests you in linguistics and then move on to the next one. I would try to spend just a few minutes with each one and then make an early exit. (Actually, I would probably even tell a white lie and say I had somewhere to be, so I could get through the conversations quickly).

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 7:04 pm

Are there any good books on linguistics you might be reading? Or could read? If you brought a copy of a well known, good book and carried it visibly (without opening it) it might give people an ice breaker to talk to you.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2012, 4:03 pm

"What course are you studying?", "How are you finding it here so far?", "What do you think of the course?" could be some good openers. I agree hang around the food. Then you'll get a good flow of people. If they want to talk to you, they'll ask you a question back. If not, just say "See you around then" or something, and they'll move on.

minotaurheadcheese
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2012, 6:40 pm

Thanks guys :) Those all sound like good tips and I'll keep them all in mind. Wish me luck!

"And there are days when I would be away . . . Oh, wherever men of my sort used to go, long ago. Wandering on paths that other men have not seen. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain." -Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell