Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Oct 2012, 7:43 pm

I have a friend, the greatest friend ever. She understands and across me for who and what I am and I can tell her almost anything or at least email out text her anything, but when I converse with her I get really nervous. Does anyone else encounter that feeling in similar situations or is there something wrong with me?

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 8:38 pm

Yep! I have no problem talking online, but whenever it is time to talk in person I get a bit nervous. For me it is because I sometimes have trouble vocalizing what I want to see, and I frequently have difficulty contributing to a conversation (particularly when I am uninterested in it).

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Fiona_G
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2012, 9:05 pm

Definitely! I still get nervous around one of my best friends even though we lived together for a year and there were no arguments or fallings out. I seem to overcompensate way too much; when I'm around people I don't know too well and am unsure of I go hypervigilant and end up being too quiet because the moment's passed and what I wanted to say is no longer relevant. On the other hand if I'm comfortable with someone, I zone out and start thinking about anything and everything and struggle to form a coherent conversation, so end up letting my friend do most of the talking.

Destidude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2012, 9:08 am

Yup, it's a whole other ballgame when you're speaking. With emails and texts you can multitask and take your sweet time responding, editing stuff you write before it goes live but, on the phone and in person, you're locked into the conversation and, once the words are out of your mouth, there's no turning back. For me the phone is the worst - I feel locked in and just want to get through it so I can hang up. In person, it's not so bad maybe because I just accept that there's no way to eject myself out of the conversation.