Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 2:41 pm

I greatly dislike communicating with people via some kind of messenger or even texting. Many people seem to have the desire to describe, in detail, every little thing they do in their lives. I would never even dream of laying all that on someone else. It seems so selfish. This isn't just a couple of isolated incidents, either - it happens frequently and causes me to shutdown and distance myself from that person. Is this related to narcissism? Are people that needy? Or is it just boredom? It drives me crazy to the point where I don't communicate online or via text anymore.

It seems like not communicating face to face equals "no boundaries" to many people.

I do realize that maybe I'm oversensitive and completely alone in thinking this way.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2013, 3:17 pm

I can only share my limited experience (which is very limited due to communications issues). From what I've observed (both online and off) it seems some people simply are lonely. I feel bad for them, but I've had to severely limit my communications as I don't have the energy for them.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 4:45 pm

Yeah, I can see that people are lonely. I am lonely, too. I feel bad for them until they just unload everything on me and then I feel completely smothered! I don't have the energy for them, either. It might be due to my extreme introversion.

I wonder if extroverts have the same problem and if they operate on this level regularly?

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 4:49 pm

kouzoku wrote:
It seems like not communicating face to face equals "no boundaries" to many people.

Yeah it sorta means little/no social repercussions. Theres a sense of anonymousness in text/IM communication. So many people feel free to share everything because in real life, they might not have anyone to share this information with. Its kinda like, if the person doesnt like it, oh well you never have to talk to them. Pretty much your identity is reduced to a screen name as opposed to a person. Idk its hard to explain, its just different. See Im very blunt and rambly online and in person Im not quite like that. I have a mental control over myself cause guess what online, I dont give a s**t if you think my posts suck.