Aspergers soc. netwking online forums & NYC conventions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

NotDiagnosed
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2013, 7:39 am

In a book on Aspergers, the author quotes the following AS woman: "I am happily married to a man with Asperger's. We met on a forum for adults with AS." The author of the book does not remember the name of the forum. Does anyone know what forums allow adults with AS to social network?

Note the quote does not say AS "dating site" or "Meetup". In order to be useful, the forum would have to have search capabilities. WP does not, so it can't be WP. This could not be a Meetup either because my experience is Meetups are for support and so do not encourage social networking unless their purpose specifically states. I know of no social networking aspie Meetup.

Elsewhere on this site is mentioned that there have been aspie conventions from time to time. I don't mean professional conventions or special interest conventions like Comicon. I mean a place for AS persons to meet other AS persons. There would have to be a coordinator who maintains a list of interested persons and notifies them whenever a convention is planned unless the date and time is posted somewhere easy to see, and also requests any necessary fees to cover costs. Does anyone know if there have ever been or are planned now or in the future any conventions in or near New York City? If so, who sponsors them?

I thought about posting this in the adults subgroup, but it limits age and I didn't want to limit who might want to reply. However, in order for this idea to work there does need to be a way to either have conventions by age group or subgroups by age within a single convention. In any case there should be a way to find out in advance the ages of who plans to attend. If I am looking for a certain age group and there is no one that age, then it will not serve any purpose to attend.