Ever feel like criticizing someones political leanings for..

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 7:30 pm

Being emotional. Tha tis what I feel toward liberals and conservatives. With conservatives it is the whole muslim thing, obama, and Israel and such, and liberals it is marriage equality. Both seem like meat heads to me, and I get frusterated and want to start ranting on Fb. Anyone feel like this. ( btw, I am libertarian, but I am sympathetic to greens on civil liberties and such).

Last edited by zacb on 26 Mar 2013, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 7:56 pm

zacb wrote:
Being emotional. Tha tis what I feel toward liberals and conservatives. With conservatives it is the whole muslim thing, obama, and Israel and such, an dliberals it i smarriage equality. Both seem like meatheads to me, and I get frusterated and want to start ranting on Fb. Anyone feel like thsi. ( btw, I am libertarian, but I am sympathetic to greens on civil liberties and such).

Libertarians are too pro civil liberties for you?

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:28 pm

No. I was just saying I give them credit for being real liberals. That is what I meant.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:32 pm

zacb wrote:
No. I was just saying I give them credit for being real liberals. That is what I meant.

The Libertarians are probably the closest thing to real Liberals in the world today. Certainly in the United States. The greens aren't Liberal at all.

You can read Liberalism by Ludwig von Mises on-line at: http://mises.org/liberal.asp

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 9:09 pm

True. I meant liberals in the sense of modern liberals. I will give them credit for calling out obama on drone policies. As far as classical liberals, you are correct. I guess my problem is the NAP is kind o flike a religious concept to me, and I tend to relat eto ideas better than people. An dI just think a libertarian society would be better overall, since it would not pick winners or loosers. I am just frusterated at "emotional" decision making, and not on reason and logic. Kind of like Jefferson, and how he said to question everything. That is how I feel about everything. I guess I feel like a rationalist in a room full of drunk frat boys. Ok, maybe I am exaggerating, but I just feel trapped some time. That is why I am working on checking out a few countires, and perhaps moving.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 9:11 pm

zacb wrote:
That is why I am working on checking out a few countires, and perhaps moving.

Where are you interesting in moving?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 9:21 pm

Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.

Conservative: A Liberal who has just been mugged.
Liberal: A Conservative who has just been arrested.
Moderate: The person who ends up presiding over the trial.

Conservative: A person who believes everybody should pay for water.
Liberal: A person who believes that water can be made to run uphill.
Moderate: A person who believes that water should be free, and who knows that it naturally flows downhill.

Conservative: A person who buys a luxury car just to park it in the driveway.
Liberal: A person who rents a luxury car just to drive it into the ground.
Moderate: An auto mechanic who services luxury cars.

Conservative: An American who believes that every day should be Independence Day.
Liberal: An American who believes that every day should be Tax Day.
Moderate: An American who believes that every day should be Election Day.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 9:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.

Conservative: A Liberal who has just been mugged.
Liberal: A Conservative who has just been arrested.
Moderate: The person who ends up presiding over the trial.

Conservative: A person who believes everybody should pay for water.
Liberal: A person who believes that water can be made to run uphill.
Moderate: A person who believes that water should be free, and who knows that it naturally flows downhill.

Conservative: A person who buys a luxury car just to park it in the driveway.
Liberal: A person who rents a luxury car just to drive it into the ground.
Moderate: An auto mechanic who services luxury cars.

Conservative: An American who believes that every day should be Independence Day.
Liberal: An American who believes that every day should be Tax Day.
Moderate: An American who believes that every day should be Election Day.

s/Liberal/Progressive/

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 10:01 pm

zacb wrote:
Being emotional. Tha tis what I feel toward liberals and conservatives. With conservatives it is the whole muslim thing, obama, and Israel and such, and liberals it is marriage equality.

Not sure why this is in the social skills category, but...yes! I'm so sick of hearing about the marriage equality b.s. Some people actually need the benefits of civil marriage, others are more interested in "feeling included" and foolishly trying to legislate social acceptance. Among some young people, liberalism has become this thing where they try to make sure no one gets their feelings hurt. I sometimes wonder if they even think about the ramifications of the political positions they take beyond whether or not it's "nice" and people feel "included."

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 11:28 pm

I know every place has their pros and cons, but yeah, I genuinely working towards a portable income so I can move. I still have a few year aof college left, but afte rthat, I will probably move full time. I am thinking maybe Philippinew, specifically Davao, perhaps some plac ein Colombia, but that is a big if. I would like Switzerland or Costa Rica, but both are pricey. I thought about E Europe, but in between the language barier (Russian or equivalent), I woul drather learn an easie rlanguage, plus approaching online was kind of hard. I have had the best success with Asia, specifically the Philippines.

But my main reason is governmental and economic problems. I see a hellstorm on the horizon, and I would rather not be apart of it. I had wante dto move before, but now that I am chatting with someone online, it empowers me to actually jump. And according to what I value most, Philippines came in the top ten, above the Us, especially for limited government. I used the free existence meta index to balance between various freedoms. But anyways, I am fed up, and I am thinking about diversifying my life,

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 11:37 pm

My mom critisizes me for being obbsessive about it, but I just find it hard to accept medicore governance, and an even lamer electorate. I just don't want to live through a Pierre Treadua scenario, and have a bunch of stupid ideas implemented on top of what we already have.

Right now, I am trying to build up my KDP full of books to sell, an dlive off that when I move. But before I do, I might get a cheap rental property, just to have a safety net. All I need is $500 a month to live comfortably in Davao, an dif I add some extra, perhaps I could plow the rest into investing, thus making my kids rich, as well as their children. But now I need to reach my second goal of 20% of my income, since I am over my 10% goal. Right now I am working on a political fiction novel. But anyways, I am exploring idea, but I am thinking o fliving with my pookers in the Philippines. But I want to meet her first, just to make sure. But so far, I lime what I see, and she is not wanting to come to the Us per se, and she is not begging for money. So I think she is a keeper.

PresidentPorpoise
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2013, 11:51 pm

starkid wrote:
zacb wrote:
Being emotional. Tha tis what I feel toward liberals and conservatives. With conservatives it is the whole muslim thing, obama, and Israel and such, and liberals it is marriage equality.

Not sure why this is in the social skills category, but...yes! I'm so sick of hearing about the marriage equality b.s. Some people actually need the benefits of civil marriage, others are more interested in "feeling included" and foolishly trying to legislate social acceptance. Among some young people, liberalism has become this thing where they try to make sure no one gets their feelings hurt. I sometimes wonder if they even think about the ramifications of the political positions they take beyond whether or not it's "nice" and people feel "included."

Hmm, no offense, but your argument doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You can't legislate social acceptance, this is true, but if we'd waited for complete social acceptance before, say, passing the 19th Amendment, or the Civil Rights Act, there's a good chance we'd still be waiting for those things today. Widespread intolerance doesn't make it acceptable to deny someone their rights. When gay marriage is finally legal throughout the US, it's not going to magically solve homophobia, which I suspect will subtly and not-so-subtly linger around for a very long time the way that sexism and racism haven't been eliminated. But I can guarantee you that the vast majority of Americans born after the realization marriage equality, will think "Well of course gay people can marry, why would anybody think otherwise?" Some of them will still be homophobic, just as there are sexists and racists today, but they will, by-and-large, at least support gay marriage, the same way that all but the most racist of racists today are against segregation, and all but the most sexist of sexists believe in the 19th Amendment. Legislating equality won't solve all problems, but when marginalized people are treated more-or-less equally under the law, it tends to lend itself to people treating said marginalized people more tolerantly.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm

I also have a general frustration with the American government and think about leaving. My resources are limited though and I'm also still finishing college. I'm not sure what the options might be for new graduates interested in expatriating.

As for political argument, part of it is emotional and part of it gets wrapped up in a person's identity such as their political party or religion. I do think it's natural for people to seek a banner to rally behind. Unfortunately, the U.S. only has room for 2 such banners and becomes insanely polarized.

Also, it feels like all political discussion is subjective and we've lost objectivity.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 12:05 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
I also have a general frustration with the American government and think about leaving. My resources are limited though and I'm also still finishing college. I'm not sure what the options might be for new graduates interested in expatriating.

As for political argument, part of it is emotional and part of it gets wrapped up in a person's identity such as their political party or religion. I do think it's natural for people to seek a banner to rally behind. Unfortunately, the U.S. only has room for 2 such banners and becomes insanely polarized.

Also, it feels like all political discussion is subjective and we've lost objectivity.

I agree. I don't know what your skills are, but perhaps you could freelance, write, or do other thing online. And you don't even need a site! I am selling books on amazon for the kindle, and it is paying off. Or perhaps you could work in Chile, which has a lo tof work opportunities. I am thinkong about the Philippines, but maybe eventually have Colombia as a backup bug out location. But I am still exploring my options, and I have plenty of time.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 5:03 pm

I keep those disagreements inside. If they are closed-minded and get angry easily, which is usually the case for extremists, I avoid them because it's not worth my time to debate them. But if someone does prove to be friendly open minded and able to have a calm logical debate, I will politely tell them why I disagree.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

PresidentPorpoise wrote:

Hmm, no offense, but your argument doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You can't legislate social acceptance, this is true, but if we'd waited for complete social acceptance

I stopped reading right there. I didn't make the argument that anyone should "wait for complete social acceptance," so maybe that's why it doesn't make sense.