Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

LineG
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2013, 8:05 am

Hi all (=
I'm new in here, and my family functions as a foster-family for young people with Asperger Syndrome or similar, so all my life I have been quite close these conditions... In my education now, I'm trying to enhance the focus on these conditions, and for this I need help.

I'm living in Denmark, studying medialogy (innovative technology) at a university and is trying to research about some of the issues with shopping (for e.g. clothes) in physical stores in order to see if there is opportunities in creating a virtual dressing room as an alternative.

In relation to this, I'm trying to find others with Aspergers or similar, than the ones my family foster, but it is very difficult... The only actual forum I could find was this one, do anyone of you have any suggestions to where I might send a questionnaire out in order to get replies on this area? -or who I could contact?

Or do anyone have any suggestions or comments to the issues of shopping (especially clothes) in physical stores...

The virtual dressing room is an actual scientific project going on right now, I'm just trying to determine if there could be alternative use for a system like that.

Hope to hear from some of you - any comments are appreciated (=
Sorry if I chose the wrong forum, I hope I'm not being intrusive...

With Kind Regards, Line

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 10:12 am

didn't the xbox kinect advertise with a simular system a few years back? that might reduce research costs if you get to physical testing (i know many examples of researchers saving thousands of dollars by using xbox, playstation and wii components)

as for the the issues with pyisical shopping (my personal views): it is not the act of shopping that deters me from doing it, the problem is the way the stores are build and set up.
first of all, there is radio music everywhere, this is highly distracting even if they were to play songs i find to be enjoyable (which music to play is personal), also, the cheap speakers usually crackle on all ends, adding to the distraction.
secondly, the lighting is always done by white fluorescent tubes. the white on them is too sharp for my eyes; i prefer a yellow-ish tint in my lighting, and fluorescent tubes also have a flickerr and a hum in them which sets off anxiety, i cannot be around them too long, a quick run trough a supermarket is the best i can do.
thirdly, and lastly, the stores are too compact, there is no place to stand and think about a choice without being bumbed aside by both customers and personell, let alone the personell constantly asking if i require assistance; i do not and if i do, i ask for it...

the way i understand your research from your post, you might be focussing on the least annoying part of shopping for clothes, from an aspergers/autistic point of view; for me, the virtural dressing room might help a bit, but if there isn't a mail-order attached to it, i'd still need to go to the store and find the items i want, still subjecting me to the issues stated above

if you want a questionnaire, there are some posted here on wrongplanet from time to time, but if you want to post one, it is best to first contact alex plank (the founder) for permission.