Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 1:26 pm

There are many times when I get someone who talks and talks and talks.

It is very hard for me to interupt them to stop. They go on and on and on.

I know some people like to talk, but I have no idea if the body language I am doing or not doing is giving them the green light to keep talking. I don't kow if I am sending signals to them to motivate them to talk!

What can I do body language wise to give them the silent signal that I am done with the conversation?

Or is it not that simple???

luna12
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jul 2013, 2:22 pm

I work in an office and check out patients after they see the doctor. Sometimes they want more time to discuss the recommendations from the physician. I can only give each person about 4 minutes because another patient will be coming in.
I turn my body away from the person that I am speaking with, sometimes I will look over their shoulder and tilt my head, this always makes the other person turn around and they stop talking while they do it. I use that moment to say "so let's make a new appt and finish our conversation when the patients are not here"

Roni

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 9:19 am

I don't think is a body language issue. Even if you try to leave or exaggerate disinterest, some people will keep talking. I have those problems with a librarian, my hairdresser and shop clerks.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 9:22 am

This happens to me a lot... Sometimes I just have to apologize for being busy and just walk away...

BMctav
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2013, 12:29 pm

NEtikiman wrote:
This happens to me a lot... Sometimes I just have to apologize for being busy and just walk away...

A friend and I (we are both NT) were having a conversation about a chap that doesn't shut up. I asked my friend how he got away from the over talker after they saw each other at the shops and he said pretty much what you suggest. It's a strategy I'll use in the future, I think.

skcuf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2013, 8:25 am

BMctav wrote:
NEtikiman wrote:

A friend and I (we are both NT) were having a conversation about a chap that doesn't shut up. I asked my friend how he got away from the over talker after they saw each other at the shops and he said pretty much what you suggest. It's a strategy I'll use in the future, I think.

What about when someone walks over to your cubicle for the sole purpose of talking and you're clearly not busy. This happens to me all the time and I never want to talk to this lady. She just goes on and on and on...Even if I don't say 12 words the entire conversation it will still last half an hour. How do you get a person to shut up when they know you're not busy?

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 8:33 am

''Yeah... I know (or whatever). But hey, I got tons of stuff to do, *really* gotta go. Nice chatting with you! Cya!''

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

Interesting...

So, from what I take from what people said here, it helps to use an apology in order for the other person to not feel your being rude for their rudeness of talking to much or to long?

OK, that makes sense to me.

Eye contact is used to let the other person know you are listening to them, right? So, if in the middleof a conversation that I no longer want to be a part of and find it hard to interupt, I could rube my eyes with my hands and perhaps turn partially away from the person to give them the hint that I am done? Gee, that sounds like a lot when I think about from the other person's point of view.

kingfishereyes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2013, 4:14 am

I have an AS friend who never says goodbye and it drives me nuts. Like once we were walking in a hallway, and I turned around and he had disappeared. I saw him walking in the other direction and I was like what.... XD

The best ways to say goodbye are:
"ok i'm gonna go now, see you later"
"I have to go do [excuse]"

for professionals: "ok so we've run out time for today, if you have any more questions contact etc. etc."

gigstalksguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2013, 5:13 am

Sometimes it's good to be armed with a few social tools. One of the best tools is a mobile. In most social context, people will have mobiles in their hands, and if you're getting bored or want a conversation to end you can always looks at your mobile, pretend you have an important text message, and say 'excuse me need to check something out here' or something similar, then move a few feet back, and use this as an excuse to exist a conversation. To be polite you should say something like 'I'll get back to you....'

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 12:30 pm

kingfishereyes wrote:

The best ways to say goodbye are:
"ok i'm gonna go now, see you later"
"I have to go do [excuse]"

Ok, simple. I constantly over think all this stuff. It is rather straight forward, but I don't get it sometimes. Thanks for helping.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 12:32 pm

gigstalksguy wrote:
Sometimes it's good to be armed with a few social tools. One of the best tools is a mobile. In most social context, people will have mobiles in their hands, and if you're getting bored or want a conversation to end you can always looks at your mobile, pretend you have an important text message, and say 'excuse me need to check something out here' or something similar, then move a few feet back, and use this as an excuse to exist a conversation. To be polite you should say something like 'I'll get back to you....'

NT's do this all the time? So, they go to such elaborate means to do something simple such as leave? It doesn't make sense, but then again, it does. Thanks for the tip.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 1:56 pm

:-) How to end a conversation ?

You could try farting really loudly, then flap your arms about, declare "phwoarrrrrr", and then use that as a convenient excuse to make a quick get-away.

:lol:

jerry00
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2013, 2:21 pm

I used to have a colleague who was much further to the autistic end of the "spectrum" than me. It was so hard to get him to stop talking sometimes.

Being at a lack for social skills myself, I let him talk and talk, I think maybe I just walked away mid sentence after indicating several times that I wanted to relieve myself.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2013, 3:56 pm

Many times when I try to end a conversation the attempt fails and I end up lengthening the conversation with such attempts. I think I'm too polite on the outside.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 11:13 pm

1) Look at your watch. That's a cue that you need to get going.
2) Interrupt with, "Sorry, do you have the time?" Then say you need to get going.
3) Limit eye-contact
4) Get "distracted" by something and then apologize for being "rude" and end the conversation then.
5) Say things like, "Anyway..." and follow up with, "I should be getting going"
6) Check your cell. If they are rude enough to talk AT you instead of TO you, start texting. If you come off uninterested, they'll stop yacking. You can always apologize for the "rudeness" so you're not walking away with ill feelings.

Just some random ideas.

LOL I dated this one person who kept interrupting me with, "A-huh, a-huh, a-huh" during my conversation. It used to BUG THE CRAP OUT OF ME but it was enough of a point that got me to shut up.