Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm

I'm a little proud, but I try to look at it as an opportunity to improve and advice on where to focus my efforts. If I'm overconfident at work before I really know my stuff, then I find it's best to just be glad that I can save some face when it wasn't the customers who noticed. That way I can quietly address it in the background.

Is taking criticism something you can do gracefully?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 2:41 pm

I can't unless it's something that I've asked for criticism on before, or I know that it's an extremely weak point of mine and I'm working on fixing it, or I tell the person beforehand that they can tell me about it and ask them if they would tell me about it if it's something that bothers them. When those aren't the case I have to do the next best thing, and that is pretend to take criticism well. Smile, nod, make a few pleasant comments or ask a question and then walk away and think to yourself how much of a douchebag the person is who criticized you.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 2:57 pm

It's much easier since I am older. It's still difficult to not feel flustered when it's happening, unless it's a minor thing - like if my boss notices I've made a mistake either factual or spelling in an email before I send it off - I'm mostly grateful, because that means I can correct it before it goes off into the world. It always smarts a little bit, but so it should. I am mostly grateful if it is obviously constructive.

The only times I feel very uncomfortable about criticism is when I am not sure if the person directing the criticism in my direction is not chasing some personal agenda that has nothing to do with me or my words or actions. This is when I can't really tell whether I should take the criticism on board or argue against it. But thankfully, as I get older, those are very rare and also, most of the time I find I can afford to walk away and take time to think about it.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 1:59 am

coffeebean wrote:
I'm a little proud, but I try to look at it as an opportunity to improve and advice on where to focus my efforts. If I'm overconfident at work before I really know my stuff, then I find it's best to just be glad that I can save some face when it wasn't the customers who noticed. That way I can quietly address it in the background.

I dunno, is taking a pratfall something you can do gracefully?
In my own experience, taking criticism out in the open (in front of clients or customers) from superiors or co-workers or even from the client/customer themselves, is something you should best absorb while taking on the most neutral stance you can. Do not take it personally, as that would further exacerbate your perceived inadequacy or mistake, by making you look unprofessional. Sometimes, you just have to lie on your back and take it.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 2:13 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
coffeebean wrote:

I dunno, is taking a pratfall something you can do gracefully?
In my own experience, taking criticism out in the open (in front of clients or customers) from superiors or co-workers or even from the client/customer themselves, is something you should best absorb while taking on the most neutral stance you can. Do not take it personally, as that would further exacerbate your perceived inadequacy or mistake, by making you look unprofessional. Sometimes, you just have to lie on your back and take it.

That's not what this is about...

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 4:28 pm

yep. i dont care about pride anymore.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 2:07 pm

Quote:

It largely depends on if it is true and how it is presented.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 5:02 pm

No. I get upset and take it personally, even though I shouldn't.

aaronzx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2013, 1:23 am

I think I have only learnt to accept criticism in the past two years. I am a much happier person now that I don't get angry every time someone tells me I am doing something wrong

Ostemaden
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2013, 7:42 pm

Actually i can't see how anyone can't take critiscism. Those people are a bunch of p*****s. They should learn to take critiscism, or quit their lives.

T1nd1v1dual
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2013, 1:15 am

I try to, yet I avoid it whichever way I can.

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

28 Dec 2013, 10:00 am

Most certainly, I welcome criticism, because I am always trying to improve myself in some way. I often feel very confident, seemingly overconfident at times (specifically when estatic) but I am almost always unaware of how I actually present to the outside world. So any feedback or criticism is extremely helpful.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 11:14 am

I f*****g hate criticism, but's because most of the time I find the negative feedback I recieve to be BS. OR it is delivered by someone that displays the same behaviours and thus is a hypocrite.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 1:37 am

i can handle criticism when it is constructive.

But if it is hypocritical or insulting then I get upset.

What I mean by insulting is when people say
"my god you suck at this, why do you even bother coming?" basically things designed to make you feel like crap.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 12:04 pm

tweety_fan wrote:
i can handle criticism when it is constructive.

But if it is hypocritical or insulting then I get upset.

What I mean by insulting is when people say
"my god you suck at this, why do you even bother coming?" basically things designed to make you feel like crap.

I'm not sure that example even qualifies as criticism. I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to listen to that, since it doesn't help them see where and how they might improve.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 3:11 pm

I get completely destroyed by criticism. I smile and pretend to be okay, but inside I just want to die. I don't even understand why I'm so sensitive – I wish I could have thicker skin!

But one thing that's helped me is to realize that criticism says more about the other person, than me. A kind and compassionate person will treat me in a way that is kind and compassionate, whereas a hurtful, insensitive person will treat me in a way that is hurtful and insensitive. I'm the same, in either scenario, and so it's really more of an indicator of who they are, than who I am.