Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm

I'm jobless and friendless at the moment, my biggest issue is generally I don't ask for contact information. I get along fine with lots of people and just want some ideas on how I can "get out there" and make some friends.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 6:46 pm

Here in Seattle there are many different types of meetup groups. There are groups for Asperger's, groups for writers, groups for musicians, groups for plant enthusiasts, etc.

You can possibly meet people at bars, especially on nights when a local sports team is playing.

Churches are still a popular place to meet people, not the stoic Catholic churches where you just pray and leave but the ones that have social get togethers, choirs and music groups.

The internet is pretty popular. Plenty Of Fish and OK Cupid are free. There are also the paid ones like E-Harmony.

Some communities have game nights where people get together to play Scrabble. They are usually held in colleges and universities and maybe even churches.

I played in a band and met people though they were really acquaintances and not full fledged friends.

Community colleges have classes on subjects you may not get a job in but it's a way to meet people.

Rabbers
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2014, 6:50 pm

What kind of things do you do now?

I think the key is making sure you have the opportunity to get to know people. So meeting the same people regularly. Otherwise you could be doing lots of interacting with different people but never get to the level of friend with any of them.
I think doing some voluntary work where you will be working with the same people or taking up a hobby are good ways to make lasting friendships.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 7:09 pm

Well near here there aren't a lot of groups I've found but there is one I found on a site called meetup.com it's an atheist group and while I'm not atheist exactly I've always gotten on really well with them. They meet at a bar on every other thursday so I'm thinking of going there and introducing myself. Since it's every other thursday I expect I'll see the same or similar people once or twice a month assuming I get along with them. There are a few others that seem interesting but not really sure I'd fit in. Thing is I like everyone so long as they aren't unfriendly or rude. My hobbies have developed to be very anti social sadly. Some of them can be done with friends but you usually have to meet those friends first.