Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2014, 5:13 pm

I'm not saying it's right, but could it be possible to have an alternative reason for doing it, like autism motivated?

Say, you're different from everybody else. You want to find a partner, someone who can closely understand you and share your interests. You go scouting the world or just the internet for potential matches and find that nobody understands you. Finally you are diagnosed on the autism spectrum, or it suddenly occurs that it could be the reason, and you start thinking about where YOU would be if you were someone you were looking for... Maybe that's a little bit of a confusing way of putting it.

So anyways, what kind of person am I? It seems the only logical way of finding people like me, people who don't go out much and keep to themselves. People who are in their rooms all day and still hoping to find that friendly connection or bond with someone else who is similar, but have anxiety and have a lot of bad experiences out there.

Can you see where I'm coming from here? I wouldn't actually do it, but I did think about it when I was in my teens. I was lucky enough to have watched a lot of old western shows with peeping toms getting hung by their neck for doing it, otherwise I probably would have tried it. It just seemed like the only route for meeting people like me, and I even used to look out my window hoping someone like me would try it and find my house.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 5:29 pm

How would you react if you were undressing and looked over to see mister Rogers peeping above the window sill saying, " Will you be my neighbor?"

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 5:41 pm

You could explain the predisposition to being obsessed with an interest.

However, in some ways, such an "obsession" is both unhealthy and wrong. Having autism does not justify it. There is help for people with a problem along those lines so they don't pursue such behaviors.

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2014, 6:35 pm

Sherlock03 - I thought your comment was funny because Mr Rogers actually does seem to just barge in on the puppet people regardless of what they may be doing. One time there was a skit in which one of the puppet people was holding a scrub brush and was wearing a shower cap during his visit.

-
I don't mean to put so much weight on obsessiveness, more on the logic of the conclusion being made that might lead to such behavior, particularly since it diverges from the usual motivation for such actions.

-
Sometimes the only help for people like this is for them to finally develop close friendships with someone, which isn't easy in an anti-autistic neighborhood or with negative health impacts from traveling.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 6:48 pm

when I was young and totally bereft of friends/acquaintances, I had a very rich fantasy life. it was my only respite from a hopelessly solitary situation for which there was no realistic exit other than the grave.