Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Katniss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2014, 2:40 pm

One of my friends called me this morning, and although I wasn't ready to talk I answered the phone!

I let her do most of the talking, making sure to reply in full sentences only when she stopped talking. I wanted her to know I was listening and interested.

I put the phone on speaker at the beginning of the call to allow me to multi-task. I didn't feel nearly as trapped and was able to relax.

We talked for 40 minutes and 52 seconds! This is the longest conversation I remember having with anyone, ever! ....My ex girlfriend complains that I only talk on the phone with her for 2 or 3 minutes!

I can't believe I did it! Feeling really really happy. :)

I'm seeking friends to play games with on YIM, and maybe chat if we're comfortable. If not, that's ok too!
No pressure. Just games.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 2:49 pm

Well done, Katniss. Remember that practice makes perfect.

I know that I've had trouble with phone calls in the past, but now I'm okay. Hopefully, the same will go for you in the future.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 3:03 pm

Outstanding, as CyclopsSummers said “Practice makes perfect.” Keep it up.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 3:16 pm

Good job. Keep up the good work and remember this success if a phone conversation goes bad. Keep trying and do not give up.

Katniss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2014, 4:11 pm

Wow, thank you so much for the encouraging replies. It means a lot to me :)

I'm seeking friends to play games with on YIM, and maybe chat if we're comfortable. If not, that's ok too!
No pressure. Just games.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:01 pm

Good for you! Phone conversations can be pretty tricky, but keep it up.

EchoNOLA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2014, 5:24 pm

Hopefully I can follow your example and be brave on my next phone call. :)

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm

40 minutes!! ! 8O 8O 8O

Katniss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2014, 6:04 pm

LOL thank you. YES it was a long call. And yes there were moments of silence. But I didn't say a word or force the conversation to keep moving. I followed her lead. :)

No pressure. Just games.

lolcatwt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2014, 10:20 pm

Katniss wrote:
One of my friends called me this morning, and although I wasn't ready to talk I answered the phone!

Congratulations! That's awesome!

I am so scared of the phone ringing that I only use a cell phone, I have messages go directly to voicemail, I use Google so I don't even have to listen to the voice mails but can just read them as text, and keep my ringer permanently turned off.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 11:37 pm

i've had 40 min calls that are 90% silence. interesting so i'm not the only one who gets anxiety from a phone ringing. I also get too worked up to leave voice messages to people.

congrates on that Katniss, idk what i'd say to a girl over the phone. I prefer irc, or texts though i'm actually recently not sure what to ask or say to girls on texts either :(

Katniss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2014, 9:12 am

lolcatwt wrote:

I am so scared of the phone ringing that I only use a cell phone, I have messages go directly to voicemail, I use Google so I don't even have to listen to the voice mails but can just read them as text, and keep my ringer permanently turned off.

lolcatwt, I am so afraid of any kind of social interaction. If the doorbell or phone rings, my heart races and I freeze in terror. I always expect the worst imaginable scenario. :? I don't even check voicemails because I'm so afraid. So answering that call was a super big deal for me.

No pressure. Just games.

Katniss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2014, 9:27 am

sly279 wrote:
i've had 40 min calls that are 90% silence. interesting so i'm not the only one who gets anxiety from a phone ringing. I also get too worked up to leave voice messages to people.

congrates on that Katniss, idk what i'd say to a girl over the phone. I prefer irc, or texts though i'm actually recently not sure what to ask or say to girls on texts either :(

sly279, I am afraid if I don't talk during a conversation, I'm not being fun, interesting or social. Quite the opposite this time. Accepting times of silence allowed my friend a chance to talk. I feel like I tend to monopolize the conversations because I'm so busy trying to be entertaining.

Thank you everyone for the feedback! :)

No pressure. Just games.