Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZaphodsCloset
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2014, 11:53 am

In dealing with my AspieFriend Marvin, who says he wants to know when he's off-putting, it would be easier if I could refer to a list of guidelines.

Otherwise it sounds like I'm just making things up, and he can think of plenty of examples where people didn't complain about the same thing, and it really should work better that way.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm

I really don't know what to tell you. Chances are he will be himself when noone complains and is happy. But one bad experience and one person giving him a "creep" label will guarantee he will hide in his shell for a while. That's saying his self-esteem and anxiety issues aren't under control.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 1:20 pm

I've never seen such a list. I've read books on manners, but they are pretty useless because most human beings have bad manners and think people with good manners are stuffy and weird, so that didn't work.

This site has been recommended on this forum before. I think it's pretty good:

A free detailed guide on how to improve social skills, from a former shy, awkward guy

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 2:12 pm

I tell people to stop me when it's really egregious. Some things bother SOME people, others are more relaxed and used to "weird" behavior. Just tell him about the really bad stuff, like BO, dirty clothes, whatever affects most people negatively. He can't please everyone sadly.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 4:11 pm

I would recommend that he find friends who don't think his personality is "off-putting."

And I would strongly recommend that he never, ever, ride in a motor vehicle with John Travolta.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 5:36 pm

Willard wrote:

And I would strongly recommend that he never, ever, ride in a motor vehicle with John Travolta.

?

ZaphodsCloset
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2014, 7:36 pm

hurtloam wrote:
This site has been recommended on this forum before. I think it's pretty good:

A free detailed guide on how to improve social skills, from a former shy, awkward guy

:Grin: I sent him that, last week. He says it's helpful.

Unfortunately, the site doesn't cover things like:
- over-talking
- over-writing
- verbal tactics to avoid (e.g. countering, minimising, one-upping, analysing, turning topic to oneself, etc.) even though socially non-awkward people seem to get away with them all the time
- recognising and accepting one's current place in social-desirability hierarchy; realistic options for improving that
- open displays of loneliness being counter-productive

And I didn't see body odor etc covered, but I might have skimmed the site too quickly.

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2014, 4:59 pm

Unfortunately there as so many non verbal things which would be hard to pinpoint

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2014, 5:50 pm

Unfortunately there as so many non verbal things which would be hard to pinpoint

EchoNOLA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2014, 6:08 pm

By all means if you find such a mythical list as this... please send it to me post-haste.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 12:27 am

Social guidelines vary by social group and social setting. That's part of what makes them so difficult.

Love transcends all.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 1:15 am

I find with practice anyone can pick up on body language. It is a language it's just harder to interpret. If you want to teach your friend that sit him down and practice different faces and movements and explain what they mean.

MrBackward
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2014, 10:23 am

The definitive list of do's and dont's in social interactions; you would make a fortune with something that like that if it was applicable in all situations.
Too many variables to nail it all down but a favourite from my personal log:
Don't stand in the corner when in a night club (where I am from drug dealers stand in the corner).

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 10:29 am

There are some books for social skills learning as well as manners books.

Amazon has some good selections.

Georgia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2014, 4:33 pm

I found this book very helpful:

A Field Guide to Earthlings: An autistic/Asperger view of neurotypical behavior
by Ian Ford

It explains "typical" behavior in a way that you don't feel guilty for not getting it on your own. (Rare, I know…)

Then it explains how you are expected to respond, without pressure to comply.

I use it a lot, as I am "surrounded" 10+ hours per day usually :cyclopsani:

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:58 pm

Usually when someone is making a social error, it is inappropriate in the particular context and setting. Therefore, social rules can vary a little based on who the people are with, what is being discussed and where they are. It's hard to make a list of general rules when there is so many infinite possibilities for what is 'right' and 'wrong'.

The only thing I'd recommend is to familiarize yourself with the characteristics of ASD and then try and pinpoint what he is doing awkwardly based on these general sets of characteristics. For example, he may excessively talk about a limited range of specific subjects in casual conversations where people are expected to talk about a variety of general topics.