Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 12:45 pm

I was wondering if anybody finds it helpful to go out and do something by yourself when you don't have people to do things with. Sometimes I stay home alone because I feel too self-conscious to go to a restaurant or a movie by myself. Maybe I should do it anyways. It may make me feel better to get out and I might have a chance of meeting new people. However, people may just look at me as the creepy guy sitting there by himself. I am not sure.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 1:38 pm

Totally do it! I do it and it's really fun! I don't have friends to hang out with but there are things I want to do so I just do them whenever I can. It's worth it.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 1:45 pm

I have no problems with going out by myself. Actually, with the exception of a couple of people, I'd rather go places by myself. It's a lot more peaceful.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

I used to go out to restaurants, clubs, movies etc by myself for most of my 20s. My preference was always to have friends to go out with so this was tough for me, especially to nonverbally project "positive vibes" - on the occasions where I did have friends to go out with, I cherished the occasion all that much more but knew that I couldn't impose on them too much, because of other factors (they were engaged, family obligations, I wasn't their best friend, the distance, etc.) - lest I came across as "really Aspie" in not seeing the big picture from their point of view, and alienate them. Glad I at least had some foresight there... 8O

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2014, 3:18 pm

I have no problem going out by myself--in fact, I enjoy it! Sometimes on a weekend afternoon I'll go to a coffee shop or something and read, just for the hell of it... or go see a movie by myself... I used to be self conscious about it, but then I figured that if I have the freedom to do it, then I might as well do so.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 4:59 pm

I'm almost always by myself. I don't even think about it anymore. I have given up on having friends to go places with. I do it on my own. I think it is still fun. Perhaps it would be more enjoyable if I were with friends but I don't dwell on it.

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2014, 1:01 am

I don't have any problems with going out by myself as long as I know exactly where I'm going as well as how to get there and get back home. I'm not so good with directions and maps so I always make sure that I've researched the area beforehand and have my own instructions or directions of where to go.

I enjoy going out by myself because I get to do things at my own pace and I don't have to defer to anyone else.

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2014, 1:14 am

I go out by myself all the time - walking, shopping, and movies.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:21 am

melmaclorelai wrote:
I don't have any problems with going out by myself as long as I know exactly where I'm going as well as how to get there and get back home. I'm not so good with directions and maps so I always make sure that I've researched the area beforehand and have my own instructions or directions of where to go.

I enjoy going out by myself because I get to do things at my own pace and I don't have to defer to anyone else.
I bought a garmin for this purpose it's really useful in finding an exact location but can be mistaken on just how soon the turn after the next will be. It also doesn't predict parking >.>

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2014, 9:38 am

i usually go out with friends but they never ask me to come out only when i ask what their doing but they never text me first telling me their plans

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 10:44 am

I don't think people normally make friends at restaurants or movie theaters, but on the bright side they're also too occupied to scout for people who are alone and make judgments.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 12:45 pm

OP, you should go for it! Other people aren't going to be thinking you are creepy, they won't even be thinking about you at all (most people are busy thinking about themselves.) I go to movies, restaurants, museums and shopping excursions by myself all the time.

Frmeepy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2014, 1:21 pm

I love to go out by myself, although I don't go out in crowded places by myself, I would feel uncomfortable...

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 8:47 pm

wowiexist wrote:
I was wondering if anybody finds it helpful to go out and do something by yourself when you don't have people to do things with. Sometimes I stay home alone because I feel too self-conscious to go to a restaurant or a movie by myself. Maybe I should do it anyways. It may make me feel better to get out and I might have a chance of meeting new people. However, people may just look at me as the creepy guy sitting there by himself. I am not sure.

I go out by myself all the time. To concerts, movies, shopping, street markets, museums, parks, etc....
I don't go to restaurants because I hate eating out even when I'm with other people.

I never meet any people because I'm anti-social (I avoid eye contact with people) even though I go out on my own all the time.
You have to have a certain mind-set if you want to make friends with strangers. I can't help you because I don't know how.

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2014, 2:08 pm

people usually go to cinema or restaurants with friends they already have not to make new friends

amsterdamned
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm

accountinglad wrote:
i usually go out with friends but they never ask me to come out only when i ask what their doing but they never text me first telling me their plans

same here. could even be the same reason..but which?