Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ThatFishCatFish
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2016, 4:25 pm

So most people with Aspergers have trouble with social skills, but not a lot them get to learn those social skills they will need in their life. I started martial arts almost 4 years ago and it has given me the chance to learn *many* of those social skills that someone with Aspergers would not typically have. Because of this, I'm able to make eye contact most of the time and make small talk in environments I'm comfortable in (as well as a couple of other skills that I've *learned* from my martial arts instructor). This means that I appear more neurotypical, and don't stand out as much when you compare my social skills to others'. I know when I was younger people just thought I was extremely shy (in fact many people still think this) and I have not been diagnosed with Aspergers, but I do feel there is the strong possibility of me having it (not just because of my social skills). The only problem is that I'm not sure how to go about telling my parents I might want to see a therapist about this to find out if I actually have it.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 8:31 pm

I've done martial arts too. It can be fun, so good for you for trying it. :)

Thorpe29
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2016, 7:47 pm

Very true

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 1:45 pm

true, i have learned social skills, but theres a catch, most of them have two conditions to remain there:

1. they have to be practiced regularly, or ill forget them and thus stop doing it.

2. they arn't automatic, so thats why practice is important, i have to remember to do them, and not doing that makes me forget

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017