yeah buddy 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
yeah buddy 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 40

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 6:16 am

I guess you can post here if you want...but I wont respond

Last edited by rpm2004 on 17 Apr 2005, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 6:40 am

No, this is not healthy.

I understand how you feel. There are many days when I would like to just sit at my computer and do nothing all day. When I am home on school break, I often do just that. I also feel neutral most of the time.

It sounds to me like you need to find some type of hobby to interest you. Your message, coupled with your rotting away avatar, concerns me.

I do art and I sew. This gives me a feeling of accomplishment and engagement. It makes me feel as though I am not wasting my life doing nothing (which I feel like if I sit at the computer for too many days in a row).

Perhaps you can find a hobby pertaining to computers, such as programing or web design, that will enable you to be doing something thoughtful and engaging, while still using your comfort zone, the computer. Maybe you can try to find a club or group to join based around these activities, and meet people there. Also, try to spend more time with this friend of yours, because he may become frustrated if you never want to hang out with him (I am speaking from experience, I have alienated several people before with my hermit-like habits.)

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 8:01 am

whaa?

Last edited by rpm2004 on 17 Apr 2005, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 8:04 am

Last edited by rpm2004 on 17 Apr 2005, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 8:20 am

Quote:
I am overweight,my weight causes me immense joint pain,I have to lose weight. I must exercise,but I can't because of my joint pain...I have even had pain killers prescribed to no avail.

I really do not know how to help you, then. I imagine you have seen doctors about this, if you have had painkillers prescribed. Is there any way for you to go on a diet or do something else that will help you lose enough weight to atleast be able to exercise?

Quote:
I have tried alot of hobbies,but everytime I try one and give it up thats just more money my dad had to waste [he is really cheap]so its gotten to the point where he won't even entertain the idea of me getting a hobby

First of all, perhaps you should consider getting a job, if you are old enough, and you are able to do so (not sure, due to your joint pain, ect).

Second, I am sure there are hobbies you could take up that would not cost that much money. For example, with programming (forgive me if I'm wrong, I don't do it myself), you could probably just get a book or two and learn that way, or even see if you can find any good sites on the internet. The same goes for web design.

jmatucd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2005, 9:17 am

do you drink soda or sweetened drinks? yes, STOP. Yes, it is bad. Switch to diet and you will hate it... pick the worst tasting one and drink that (diet coke is evil! so use it -- no extra flavoring!! The could mask the bad taste).

Beyond that, start doing simple things, lift some simple weights (stacks of books whatever...) and maybe try your hand at bicycling... its fun! You get to be outside and you will lose weight if you keep at it, drop soda, and start eating simple sandwiches (bread + one meat + letuce + tomato ... thats all you get! Hell I only put one thin meat on my sandwiches). Aside from that, drop milk if you are consuming it. Basically, start eating small sandwiches, drink only water and try horrible tasting diet sodas and so on. Outright reject any junk food... Just refuse to ever touch it,,,, it must be done cold turkey.

bah, go at it.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 9:45 am

salmon

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 9:46 am

TAR-TAR

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2005, 1:45 pm

What is your diet like? How many calories do you eat a day? How many meals do you have? What do the meals consist of?

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 3:10 pm

my skin hurts

Last edited by rpm2004 on 17 Apr 2005, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mar
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Apr 2005, 8:04 pm

rpm2004 wrote:
I'm not making excuses but I think how I got into this lifestyle was because of my pain issues.

I am overweight,my weight causes me immense joint pain,I have to lose weight. I must exercise,but I can't because of my joint pain...I have even had pain killers prescribed to no avail.

Pilates would be a good place for you to start. It can work around things like frailty and pain. (The machines usually associated with the Pilates Method were originally designed to allow nonambulatory patients to grow stronger.) Call around to a few different gyms (or Pilates studios if you can find them) and explain your situation and ask them what they would suggest for you.

Another route you could take is swimming. Very low impact strength builder. Find a gym with a pool or a YMCA. They might also offer some water workout classes.

--

A good first step on the "diet" front, (especially if actually changing the foods you eat is very difficult for you) would be to simply set an hour at night which you stop eating, at least 3 hours before you hit the sack.

Persevere.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 9:42 pm

alot

Last edited by rpm2004 on 17 Apr 2005, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluestar113
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2005, 9:51 pm

no not healthy........donst change anything though :)

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 11:33 pm

Step 1: Change your avatar, it's distracting me in a rather grotesque manner.

Step 2: Get off your as* and work through the pain. Sometimes you just have to deal with pain. I'm overweight, but I have a job to keep me in shape. Things like this always suck at first, but you'll adjust. I'm not only overweight, I'm naturally flat-footed, you have no idea what kind of back pains I feel on a daily basis. I've gotten used to it, as well you if you choose to do something about your situation.

Step 3: Don't drink any kind of soda, and avoid ALL caffeine and as much sugar as you can. Eat 2 or 3 meals a day, and biking is more fun then it looks, so you should consider trying it.

Tip: I used too overeat too, I'm OCD. Try to avoid your favorite deserts and snack foods. I stopped eating potato chips for a year, and after waiting so long, I could control myself.

Sorry if I was harsh, but people in your situation always strike a chord, hit the right button, etc. Have fun un-fattening. :lol:

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2005, 1:09 am

How badly overweight are you that you have joint pain?

weight has been a mild problem for me. I'm not obese, but I could stand to loose a good 30 pounds or so. A good high impact low-stress exercise would be to ride a bike.

After I graduated from high school in 1998 before I had my liscense I rode a bike to work everyday - 20 minutes both ways, for four months before I got canned.

I lost a good 25Lbs that summer.

synx13
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2005, 1:36 am

Also, don't forget to eat more good things. You can't get overweight from eating carrots I like to say. Eat lots of nutritious things like brown rice, beans/chili, carrots, cucumbers, wheat bread, potatoes. Eat lots of it. If you start to get sick of the taste of something, that's your body's way of telling you it needs other nutrients, so switch to something with other nutrients. Rice and beans for instance are a really good combination, if you can digest beans okay. If you can't digest beans very well, I hear soy is a pretty digestible bean. That soy milk they have out, Silk brand? Tastes like delicious sweet beans, and is liquid.

Most importantly is you should write down what you eat. Not to feel bad or anything, but to protect yourself. Write it down so you can see what you're eating. The food industry would just love it if you stayed unaware of what you are eating, because their manipulative advertising, their addictive flavoring chemicals, work better if you're not paying attention. Everyone should keep a food diary. It's the first line of defense.

Um... yeah and do those pilates and swimming. Find a hobby that doesn't cost too much, like maybe drawing or Tai Chi. Um... and as for the time you spend at the computer, yeah it's horribly wrong. No, I can't stop either. If anyone knows how the two of us can use computers sensibly, without staying up late to type this message, and yes I've tried scheduling my time already, please I beg of you! I beseech your kind will to stop me from giving myself RMS before I turn 30! Oh, as for RMS, xwrits is saving my life. And self disgust! I subconsciously canceled and backgrounded Mister Orange Hand again. Time for a 8 hour keyboard break! *falls over asleep*