Does anybody else here despise alcohol?

Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sting
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2014, 11:39 pm

I literally hate alcohol and everything it represents. I have never seen such a destructive substance so praised. It seems most socializing revolves around drinking, and honestly annoys me to no end. It just seems like another thing that separates me and makes me appear awkward and "dull" than I already am. Does anybody else feel this way?

stardusty
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2014, 12:19 am

and i did not metabolize it well any of the four - five times i tried it as a young adult.

pass!

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 12:22 am

my dad was an alcoholic and died of liver cancer from it. money spent on booze could have been invested and my mom would not be poor now. we never saw my dad as he was always either at work or the club. yes, lots of negatives. that said, i have a glass of wine, a beer, or a cocktail a few times a year. i don't hate alcohol. i hate its misuse.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 12:28 am

my dad was too often heavy into the sauce, and it was not a pleasant childhood for us. for some reason, whenever I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol my body would violently reject it. some people can't inhale, I can't swallow.

djw2398
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jul 2014, 12:29 am

A lot of people misuse it, and it can be very destructive. That being said, it's the only drug that has ever helped me cope with life. I only drink at home, and would never, ever, drive if I had been drinking. It's almost a godsend though, I can laugh at the stupidity of life and feel better, and socialize a little better with people. I know it's ultimately harmful to my health but the benefits outweigh the risks.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 12:32 am

if my body would tolerate it, I probably would find it to be a useful all-purpose analgesic for body and soul. alcohol tastes hot [temperature] and bitter/biting.

Sting
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2014, 12:50 am

auntblabby wrote:
if my body would tolerate it, I probably would find it to be a useful all-purpose analgesic for body and soul. alcohol tastes hot [temperature] and bitter/biting.

Not to mention it has a repulsive odor and some people are so protective of it, that they act as if it's sacred, which annoys me. One person acted like I cannot hate alcohol due to its "history".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 1:00 am

Sting wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Not to mention it has a repulsive odor and some people are so protective of it, that they act as if it's sacred, which annoys me. One person acted like I cannot hate alcohol due to its "history".

I wonder what about its "history" he admired? I am not totally against alcohol, in that I love stout-imbued ice cream [ben and jerry's] and sauerkraut cooked in dark beer, and veggies cooked in red wine. and ice-cold sweet hard cider is to die for. I just can't swallow more than about a half cup of the stuff before I get sick.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 2:24 am

When I was younger I liked getting drunk, but now I find I often feel like s**t when I drink. This sucks, because I actually like how some alcoholic beverages taste. It's probably because I've been feeling really depressed lately, and alcohol has a depressive effect so it just makes it worse.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 3:15 am

Sting wrote:
I literally hate alcohol and everything it represents. I have never seen such a destructive substance so praised. It seems most socializing revolves around drinking, and honestly annoys me to no end. It just seems like another thing that separates me and makes me appear awkward and "dull" than I already am. Does anybody else feel this way?

Yeah, you sure as heck aint the only one.

I absolutely LOATHE the stuff. There is a deep, dark hatred that I have for it that goes way beyond pretty much any other thing that I dislike. And for me, that's really saying something, since I tend to hate most things just by default. Part of the reason why I call myself "Misery".

So for that hate to go so far.... yeah. There are few things, very few, that I detest more than that stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, the stuff is a form of poison. And why would I NOT see it that way? It wrecks lives, and can outright get someone killed. Hell, it's like a super-poison, in that it can not only kill whoever drank it, but can kill others that DIDNT drink it. Car crashes and whatnot. It doesnt just kill, it kills VIOLENTLY.

Now granted, most people dont go that far with it. But still, usage of the stuff is so freaking common. And I dont understand it. Why in the numerous hells would I want to drink something where the only effect of it is to make me temporarily dumb and slow? How in the hell is that a good thing? Dont answer that, I dont actually want to know; I feel like the answer would cause me to lose IQ points just by hearing it.

And even with it having that quality that makes those who drink it really stupid for awhile, people still do it. It's a major social thing, like you said. And of course if you DONT drink it, you're wierd, or you "dont have a life" or some damn stupid crap like that. Not that I care, mind you, because it goes both ways, and I see THEM as bloody stupid for drinking it at all. I refuse to associate with that sort.

As it is, I hate it SO much that I've pressed my ideas of it onto others in a way. Normally, I'm a very passive individual IRL. But not when that stuff is involved. Nobody drinks that stuff around me, because I can get NASTY about it. My mother and stepfather used to drink way too much, and while they never got mean, they did rather make idiots of themselves every time. This ended after a little "incident" when I finally lost what composure I had, and ended up standing outside in the driveway, shrieking at them at the top of my lungs about it, making damn sure everyone in the area could hear every word. I'm prone to dark moods as it is, but I'm rarely THAT angry. They stopped that habit pretty much immediately after that. Friends also dont drink around me either; I've never had to DO anything about it, but they know me well enough to know that it wouldnt be the brightest idea.

And yeah, I've heard the bit where it "helps people cope" with stuff or "improves their mood". The thing about that? Those feelings are FAKE. They're not real. They're illusions brought on by the booze; this is why they tend to fade immediately when it does. And over time, it usually actually makes things WORSE. Not that the person NOTICES this, what with the stuff making them dumb each time. If someone REALLY wants to feel better about something, and have it stick, they need to seek out other methods, things that will ACTUALLY help, not things that PRETEND to help. Ive seen too many people make this mistake, and absolutely without exception it ends badly.

And no, I dont care if someone here disagrees with me or thinks I'm being harsh/mean about this. I havent even STARTED to get harsh and mean. And my mind wont be changed on this one regardless.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 3:36 am

I totally get what you guys are saying. While in general I can understand why other people enjoy it, I had an alcoholic dad, which caused me a lot of stress and sadness in my childhood. I dislike the bad effects of alcohol, and I'm afraid that if I ever tried it, I'd be inclined toward addiction.

Yes, I also dislike the way society seems to praise alcohol as an inextricable part of many cultures. Or the looks I get when I tell people I don't drink, not even 'social drinking'.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 6:20 am

I personally like mixed drinks, but usually by myself. I find the pressure to drink large amounts of liquor in order to socialize disgusting. People think I'm weird for not wanting to drink their nasty cheap beer. It makes me puke almost instantly. Even worse, I tend to down it just to get it over with, which makes me even more sick.

People are often lying when they say they love the taste of alcohol. I do enjoy a good wine with certain foods, but mixed drinks where it tastes like soda are WAY better. What's the point of getting drunk if you have to taste something awful to do it?

My husband started to drink and drive. After the third time, I banned him from drinking. I refuse to have alcohol in the house. I totally understand what "Misery" means.

Overall, if I had to choose, I would choose cupcakes. Who needs alcohol? Hell, even weed seems better. At least you can eat brownies while having fun. :lol:

brackets
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2014, 2:50 pm

Ugh, I can't stand alcohol. I really wish people my age (I'm in my early twenties) weren't so big on drinking so I could actually stand a chance in social circles...

CuddleHug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2014, 4:21 pm

On the positive side at least for socializing every group should have a designated driver so there is a possibility to fit in even if you hate alcohol. Of course I cannot stand that it renders people insane even attempting communication with one is impossible then you get all the stupidity added on and it's very hard to deal with for the rational literal person. It is interesting how easy they are to deal with for people who are similarly inclined whereas it just doesn't work for me.

brackets
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2014, 4:37 pm

CuddleHug wrote:
On the positive side at least for socializing every group should have a designated driver so there is a possibility to fit in even if you hate alcohol.

Heh, too bad I can't drive. Otherwise I would totally use this reasoning.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 5:43 pm

Yes. I despise it and everything it stands for, too.

From accidentally imbibing beer at my dad's company picnic, to being forced to sip champagne at my grandparents' Golden Anniversary, I hate it.

I despise alcohol and everything it stands for.

I took a teetotaler's vow when I was 15--the only vow I made as a teen that I've managed to keep.

From watching people sip it or gulp it parties and social functions because they think they can't relax or have fun without it, to sitting there appalled when MySage (husband, for those who've never met Lyra elsewhere) orders Jack Daniels with dinner, to hearing plied-with-alcohol daterape stories...

I despise alcohol and everything it stands for.

From Ham saw his father's drunkenness, and was cursed for mocking him instead of covering his shame, to "be not drunk with wine, but with the Holy Spirit..." I despise alcohol and everything it stands for.

Daily rant by Lyra.
Thanks for noticing me.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support