Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 8:49 am

About two and a half months ago I was chatting with a couple of my friends, and suddenly I felt I was being watched. One of my friends had an expression on her face consisting of a slight smile combined with a questioning expression and she was looking me straight in the eyes. I've never seen that look before and didn't know how to interpret it, though it was clear she was trying to see something and not trying to threaten me. I felt very uncomfortable and flustered. I asked her why she was staring at me. She said, "I'm trying to see something in your eyes." I didn't have a clue what she wanted so I just sort of looked away for a bit so she could look at them without me having to look at her directly, and then when I tried to look her in the eye she seemed to get sort of excited or something. It was very uncomfortable and very intense and no matter where I looked I felt as though I was being X-rayed. The conversation became quite awkward.

I went home and wrote a short message to her saying that for me, eye contact was difficult. She replied, "Maybe that's what I was trying to figure out" and that she wasn't offended and I should say if she stares too much as eye contact is big for her. Two and a half months later, though, I still think she wasn't being honest. I think she was avoiding stating what her real motivation was. Or I could be completely wrong and the literal interpretation of what she said is correct.

So, what did her expression mean? I've never seen it before. Also, how should I have handled it? Obviously I missed quite a lot, but I had no reference points or anything. Sorry for the choppy phrasing - it's 2.49 am here.

Outrider15
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2014, 10:31 am

I just suggest asking this one particular friend out for coffee or something, and see how things develop from there.

Interesting facial expression thing. Could meansomething...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

I think there was some flirtation going on.

I think Outrider offered a good suggestion.

Nobody ever looked that deeply into MY eyes LOL

dorque
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2014, 3:23 am

It's really hard to guess what anyone is thinking and why they make the facial expressions they do. I find that the best thing to do is ask. Not referring to their face, because their mind will get off topic, but as what they were <i>thinking about</i> when you were in that specific situation. If you can remember exactly what you were doing or saying when it happened, bring that up and see what your friend says.