Why won't anybody accept my friend requests on Facebook?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 7:20 am

Some people prefer to keep their friendship at work. People have gotten fired for what they post on their wall so they may want to keep their work life and their personal life separate and that is not adding co workers to your friends.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 7:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
I feel embarrassed asking people to add me on Facebook. I thought a friend request on Facebook was a friendly way of saying "nice to have met you the other day, I see you have a Facebook account, would you like to add me?" Or, "we work together, you know me and I know you, would you like to add me?"

I'm always told I'm rude to not answer PMs on Wrong Planet. But apparently it's not rude for someone you do already know as a friend/acquaintance in real life to reject a friend request you sent to them on Facebook. I only reject a friend request if I do not know that person at all. Like the other day I received one from this man with a foreign name from another country, and I had no idea who he was so I rejected it. But if it was someone, say, from my local town who I don't know that well but know of, I would think "oh nice of them to send me a friend request", and I would accept. Just to be friendly. Or if it was from somebody at work whom I don't really speak to that much except a casual greeting in the morning, I would still accept. Or even if it was someone who I didn't know in person but I knew was best friends with a cousin or aunt of mine, I would add them. I never met my cousin's girlfriend before, and I didn't even know she was on Facebook. But one day she sent me a friend request and I accepted it, and now we talk to each other a lot and found we have a lot in common. So basically I had made a friend.

I don't normally accept friends requests if I don't know them. Unless they have a bunch of mutual friends, then I accept them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 10:57 am

Yes but funnily enough, the last 9 or 10 friend requests I have sent in a row have not been responded to. I don't know if it is a coincidence, or if something's wrong with my Facebook settings. But, like I said earlier, these are people whom I know in real life and have a few mutual friends with.

waltwilliam12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2015, 6:01 pm

alex wrote:
why don't you ask someone to add you on facebook when you're there with them in person. most people can do it on their phones.

Never do this. This is a very very very bad idea.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 9:02 pm

autismthinker21 wrote:
Why send? Facebook is the reason why humans cannot interact in the world without the use of a blue wall in the data sector.

Don't know about that most people i know including myself communicate quite a lot outside of facebook....then I know a few people who don't get on anymore because they feel like they spend too much time on it. I personally find I can leave it alone for quite a while and be just fine, as in I can not look at facebook for days and not care...but it is nice to see what is going on with friends/family which seeing posts shows.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 7:13 am

Facebook was much too chaotic and anxiety provoking for me. I think to much into things, other's behaviors, etc, so it wasnt a positive experience for me. Plus, I witnessed how, multiple people from my youth, whom I remembered to be a certain way, grew up to be mean, or egotistical, narcissistic bullies, and the like. And, that was quite disheartening. I prefer to spend any down-time I have, reading books, listening to music, or socializing here, on WP. I see my loved ones in real life, and that's what I prefer. I deleted Facebook pretty soon, after trying it out, and have no desire to use it in the future. Perhaps you are the sort of person, yourself, who would find, you are better off, without it. I would try eliminating it for a while, to see if that releives the depression it is causing you, and then you might decide that it isn't worth utilizing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 6:49 am

waltwilliam12 wrote:
alex wrote:
why don't you ask someone to add you on facebook when you're there with them in person. most people can do it on their phones.

Never do this. This is a very very very bad idea.

Agreed. You don't just go up to someone and say ''can you add me on Facebook?'' and then they get their phone out and just add you. I don't know the explanation of this, just another social rule that makes no sense, but my instinct is telling me that it is the wrong idea to do this.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2020, 9:22 pm

I would be happy to add you on my facebook page.

It would be kind of hollow, though. My facebook page is with a completely fictitious name that doesn't tie back to me at all. I only have the page because it makes it easier to sign in on some web sites and it lets me view local business pages on facebook (why anyone would even put their local business pages on something like facebook is something that I completely fail to understand) without a lot of nonsensical restrictions.

Only my sister knows my identity on facebook.

So if you find my facebook page and send me a friend request, I'll certainly add it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 2:01 pm

This thread is 5 years old.

But thanks for your offer. Unfortunately I like to keep anonymous on WP, meaning that I don't add people from WP on Facebook, as I use my real name and everything. It's nothing personal. I just like to keep my Facebook life and my WP life separate.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 2:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:

But thanks for your offer. Unfortunately I like to keep anonymous on WP, meaning that I don't add people from WP on Facebook, as I use my real name and everything. It's nothing personal. I just like to keep my Facebook life and my WP life separate.

I think he was taking the piss although in an amiable manner. Consider:

kokopelli wrote:

So if you find my facebook page and send me a friend request, I'll certainly add it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 2:24 pm

MaxE wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I think he was taking the piss although in an amiable manner. Consider:

kokopelli wrote:

Yes I wondered what they meant by that last bit, I just assumed I had missed something and quickly replied before reading it again (ADHD impulsivity).

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 7:30 pm

I didn't realize that this is an old thread. I'm really curious now how I even found it.

I meant no disrespect of Joe90. I apologize if it was interpreted that way.

With facebook, I'm always surprised by how many people use it with their real identities. I would never use it with my real name just for privacy reasons. Using a completely fictitious name seems okay, though.

Since my facebook "identity" is with a fictitious name, I wouldn't object to posting it here, but from what I understand, facebook seeks out and delete accounts with fictitious names.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 8:34 pm

kokopelli wrote:
I didn't realize that this is an old thread. I'm really curious now how I even found it.

I meant no disrespect of Joe90. I apologize if it was interpreted that way.

With facebook, I'm always surprised by how many people use it with their real identities. I would never use it with my real name just for privacy reasons. Using a completely fictitious name seems okay, though.

Since my facebook "identity" is with a fictitious name, I wouldn't object to posting it here, but from what I understand, facebook seeks out and delete accounts with fictitious names.

That's OK, I think it was just a miscommunication.

I'd say about 99% of people who I know on Facebook (whether I have them as friends or not) do use their real name.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 9:04 pm

That's interesting. Most people I know with facebook accounts seem to use their own names. My sister is an exception to that -- she uses a nickname.

After I created my facebook identity and got signed up, I ran across a more interesting spelling of the first name for the account but I guess it is kind of late to change it now. It's not like I can tell them that I had forgotten how to spell my name.