Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 3:54 am

Something I wrote back in 2002, that relates to our interractions on the net, on sites such as this and in chatrooms...some might be able to take something from it. :)

It often can seem that life crushes those who least deserve it, removing their anchors one by one, removing the remaining dregs of hope from that which they clung to. The hardest thing to face is the fact that, as an onlooker, a face in the distance, there is nothing one can do except sit by observing in a helpless, angry silence. An anger at the injustice of life and it’s expectations. Some might say you cannot help another until you succeed in helping yourself, but as far as I am concerned, that is a pile of crap.

The chat phenomena never ceases to amaze me. People drift in and out, many existing to us for maybe an hour, maybe a day, then vanishing back into the world, leaving behind only a trace on our memory, maybe leaving no imprint at all. Some might as well have never existed. Yet, occasionally, we will find a few who remain in our minds long after they have ceased to visibly exist for us. Their past words, their personalities, their essence will pursue us relentlessly, long after they have left the scene, leaving us feeling bereft, almost cheated. I cannot help but feel that many opportunities are missed in these rooms. We allow the one or two people who might have been on the same wavelength, might have offered something of inherent value, to evade our grasp, then it is too late. They are gone. Gone to such a degree that one might as well be trying to capture the moon or the sun in their hands.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 11:51 am

Is this an April Fools joke?

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 2:30 pm

Does it look like a joke to you? :roll: Yeah, like I would really write something in 2002 to post as an April Fools Joke in 2007. I find that insulting actually.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 2:32 pm

That's proof that I don't understand you as a person.

At least you're not mean to me, and I am very happy about that!

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 2:54 pm

I restrained myself. I was upset, but I decided it would not be good for a mod to be nassty about it. To enlighten you, it is a piece of serious writing about the whole internet world where we each come into one another's lives, then leave one another's lives...for example... look at how many once were a part of this forum and were respected and liked by other members..where are they now? And how many care where they are now? It is also about how we might see someone posting or chatting on the internet, and find them interesting and like them, yet our fears can prevent us from doing something about it and talking to them.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 2:54 pm

Kate, what are you really like?

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 4:36 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
Kate, what are you really like?

I am like me.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 4:47 pm

So, I know you're into Doctor Who and all that, but I'm sure you find something like US Jeopardy! very boring. You do get that in England, I know that.

You don't know how funny Alex Trebek is!

To each your own!

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 5:31 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
It often can seem that life crushes those who least deserve it, removing their anchors one by one, removing the remaining dregs of hope from that which they clung to. The hardest thing to face is the fact that, as an onlooker, a face in the distance, there is nothing one can do except sit by observing in a helpless, angry silence. An anger at the injustice of life and it’s expectations. Some might say you cannot help another until you succeed in helping yourself, but as far as I am concerned, that is a pile of crap.

The chat phenomena never ceases to amaze me. People drift in and out, many existing to us for maybe an hour, maybe a day, then vanishing back into the world, leaving behind only a trace on our memory, maybe leaving no imprint at all. Some might as well have never existed. Yet, occasionally, we will find a few who remain in our minds long after they have ceased to visibly exist for us. Their past words, their personalities, their essence will pursue us relentlessly, long after they have left the scene, leaving us feeling bereft, almost cheated. I cannot help but feel that many opportunities are missed in these rooms. We allow the one or two people who might have been on the same wavelength, might have offered something of inherent value, to evade our grasp, then it is too late. They are gone. Gone to such a degree that one might as well be trying to capture the moon or the sun in their hands.

Nice post, very eruditely exposited too.

Personally, I wouldn't say that the whole chat/forum/IM phenomenon amazes me anymore because after being online for a while I have to come to accept online communication for what it is. Even so, I do still feel slightly jarred on occaision when you realise that people you have spoken to every day for 6 months or so suddenly seem to drift off the face of the earth. I think the most important thing is not to get too attached to online friends.

dime_jaguar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2007, 11:51 pm

Eh, although I agree that life can crush those who least deserves it, but this is all so very subjective. This person might just be so sensitive that anything maliciously intended sparks suffering in an individual. Yet someone who is much more mentally strong would overlook something like this, and thus this suffering doesn't happen as often, and for long periods of time.....unless its really bad, like some kind of physical catastrophe.

I think conversation can be very different in chatrooms, people let loose and are more comfortable saying things, but in person their attitude, behavior, characteristics can be different. There is much more to a person than just what they can talk about or how they do it, its sacrifice, trust, loyalty, companionship, many things...thus taking so much from a chatroom seems a little too farfeteched to me.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 12:03 am

It was not meant to be objective. This is something I simply dug out of my old writings lest anyone found it useful.. I did not post it as a topic for debate, as such. It simply...is. :roll:

dime_jaguar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2007, 12:39 am

Graelwyn wrote:
It was not meant to be objective. This is something I simply dug out of my old writings lest anyone found it useful.. I did not post it as a topic for debate, as such. It simply...is. :roll:

Jeez, why so touchy? Eh, you dont have to answer :wink:

Last edited by dime_jaguar on 02 Apr 2007, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 12:40 am

Thank you for these very true observations, Graelwyn. :)

:cry:

HolidayonIce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2007, 8:18 pm

I agree w/Jake, original post very nicely put.

Perhaps we're where we are when we need to be and move on/out as those needs change. I don't think all who leave do so because they were offended in some way but instead, they got what they needed and moved on. Unless they gave nothing back while here it can't really be thought of as selfish, just developmental.

Chats give folks a chance to try on different roles before wearing them in public, too... This can be a safe environment for doing that.

I'm a glass-half-full person, as you might guess, but no Pollyanna, I assure you. I just think that energy is like funds in a bank account and one must decide how to spend it, being angry, neutral, positive, etc. There's just so much I'm willing to spend.

That said, I'll walk a mile to avoid an argument but be the first to stand up in defense of anyone being picked on and once injured a fellow who was kicking a dog... having been kicked a bit myself.

So, thanks for the post Graelwyn. Well done.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 10:39 am

Best original post I've seen to my memory.

Couldn't possibly have hit the nail harder.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

artsyfreak918
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2007, 10:01 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Does it look like a joke to you? :roll: Yeah, like I would really write something in 2002 to post as an April Fools Joke in 2007. I find that insulting actually.

1. How can it be a joke anyways? I don't get it.....

2. Wow Garewyn, you have a very good memory.