Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 7:21 pm

I called my friend once and he said hello but I didn't say hello back because I was nervous. I then called again approximately 30 minutes later and he said hello, then I said "hello, who is this?" and he hung up after a brief pause.

Should I call back? How should I take this?

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 7:38 pm

Do you have his email address?

If so, just write him an email.

Or try to call him again. This time, though, say what's on your mind after exchanging pleasantries like "How are you doing?"

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 7:44 pm

I think he'll believe that you tried pranking him if you don't tell him you didn't.

Might be good to prepare for calling again and saying that you didn't try to prank him but couldn't say anything because you inexplicably got nervous. It's probably good to apologize for having given the wrong impression (even though there's really nothing to apologize for, just so he knows for sure it was not intended a prank).
And then talk about whatever you wanted to talk about.

At least that's what I'd do, but I can be wrong. Maybe kraftie's suggestion is better.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 7:47 pm

I think your suggestion is pretty good, too.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you have his email address?

If so, just write him an email.

Or try to call him again. This time, though, say what's on your mind after exchanging pleasantries like "How are you doing?"

I can text him using the computer but he won't respond because it has something to do with his data usage and the fact I am using an E-mail to text him.

I am afraid to call because I am afraid he is ignoring me.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:19 pm

Can you speak calmly on voice mail?

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:24 pm

Earthling wrote:
Can you speak calmly on voice mail?

Perhaps.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:26 pm

It can help to have a mindset of "I'm doing this, no matter what".
(Of course that doesn't mean to call when you feel the least ready)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:30 pm

Is he into math, too?

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is he into math, too?

No, not really. My chances of finding someone my age that likes math as much as me is very slim. I think I'll call him again, but I am just mustering up courage.

We have other shared interests though.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:38 pm

If you send him something over email which would interest him, I think he would appreciate it.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:41 pm

He doesn't check his E-mail often apparently.

I called again and there was no response.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

LynNT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2015, 12:28 am

Does your friend have your number? Or did he not know it was you calling? Maybe you should explain/apologize. I'm guessing that since you didn't say anything the first time he thought it was a mistake so he hung up, but the second time you called him and asked who is this? sometimes that bothers people because it's kind of that idea of-- you called me you should know who you're talking to.

Overall I wouldn't worry it just sounds like a misunderstanding. I would just explain that you called and didn't know what to say.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 12:58 am

You're just going to worry yourself sick about calling. Set some type of alarm for a few days from now and go on about your life and forget about it. When the alarm goes off just go and make the call without thinking about it and say who you are first. He may already know it's you with caller ID. Does he know you're Aspie? If so, he should be ok with you having a problem talking on the phone sometimes. I find for myself if I just do whatever it is I don't want to do without thinking about it and rehearsing, things don't end up being as bad as what I conjured up in my mind. But I'm not Aspie.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 8:00 pm

^ Yes, I second this. Wait a few days. Are you going to run into him naturally? Like in real life?

I would honestly say something like, "Sorry I had peanut butter in my mouth" or "Sorry I couldn't hear you" and then immediately go into whatever you were calling about in the first place. It won't be a big deal if you don't make it a big deal.

Yes, you could explain that you're an aspie if you're good friends with this kid. As in, if you've known him for years, or if you're sure he understands what autism is. If you don't know him very well, I wouldn't tell him, only because that's personal. It would be like telling him how much money your parents make.