Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 2:44 pm

For those with anger issues ...
What has helped you with anger/frustration outburst such as throwing things.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Dec 2015, 9:56 pm

I would snap at people & have meltdowns & taking the antipsychotic Haldol/Haloperidol helps me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 3:54 pm

That's good you found something that works for you.

I'm trying a cognitive and biblical approach.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 4:11 pm

A punching bag is probably a good start. Use it to release some stress with excessive force but without the risk of injuring yourself or others.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 5:01 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I used to hit a speed bag. I didn't like the feel of the heavy one.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 7:22 pm

I try as best I can to anticipate when and where I'll get angry and visualize it ahead of time to kind of desensitize myself.

I find this very helpful in situations I know will lead to an outburst. Traffic, the supermarket, being in the company of certain people, etc.

The big challenge for me comes in on the real reactionary stuff, and for me it's most often unimportant things like a football game I'm watching or some video game I'm playing. In those moments I've tried to slowly change my knee-jerk reaction from throw/punch/hit/hurt to think first. Always think first. When I'm able, it shows me that most of what I'm about to flip out over is not worth the stress to me or my wife.

Also consistently debriefing after a flip out helps me gather info for the next one. Reflecting back on my failures and what went wrong, also the times I've upset someone I love by not controlling myself.

I find I cannot be motivated by self-improvement. I can only improve to benefit someone I care for. So I do it for my wife and my marriage because that's what's really important to me.

If the Bible is your thing, then I guess that someone would be Christ. Not wanting to upset Him.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:43 pm

I do prayer and guided meditation.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 6:35 pm

Lots of good stuff out there for guided imagery that gas been helpful.
I sometimes combine it with theta or delta waves or isochronic music. Sometimes they cause irritation depending on the day and or my situation.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 7:15 am

Hey you reminded me, I've been doing Binaurals alot too. They actually friggin help. I'm very skeptical on that sort of stuff, but it's actually really amazing how those things can work. I've been listening to a couple for mood over the last few months and have really seen an improvement in my ability to ward off outbursts. Sometimes I get into a situation where I would normally flip out, and I'm not just suppressing the urge, I simply don't have the urge.

I've used some pertaining to more personal issues that also worked. I'd highly suggest these to really anyone because they have a wide variety of effects.

I know some are simply different frequencies (Shumann Resonance) and some use various isochronic tones mixed with subliminal suggestion. The ones with subliminal suggestion are designed to target very specific problems, or the help in many areas. I know they have a crapload of these for free up on Spotify.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 7:12 pm

Thanks I've never heard of those resonances.
Do you use both the 432 and the "700" Hz?

I will give them a try.

Also I've been using a Zen doodling coloring book.

galois
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2016, 3:48 am

Physical activity/stimulation seems to help for me. Running--or stimming if the former isn't possible seem to help for me.

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2016, 1:20 am

I used to have a lot of rage issues as a result of sensory issues. When I got extremely overstimulated, I was likely to physically attack people. One time I even kicked my dog :( My poor elderly dog who just wanted me to open a door for her.

I haven't actually gotten rid of the sensory issues, but just by understanding them, I am able to make choices to avoid such drastic overstimulation. I wrote about what works for me here, in case it helps.

Controlled self-stimulation (stimming) can be calming regardless of whether the problem is overstimulation. One of the easy ones I like is pressing my hands together as hard as possible in front of my chest for several seconds. It's not as effective as other calming methods, but it's available in a variety of situations where you can't use other methods.