How to behave when you enter an elevator?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

somebody300
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2016, 11:59 am

How are you supposed to behave when you enter an elevator, and there's somebody inside? Where are you supposed to look, both while entering and while in the elevator? What gestures are you supposed to make, if any? Are you supposed to take a glance at the person in the elevator?
I hate situations like this, as I have no idea what to do, and feel nervous as a consequence.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 8:45 pm

You don't have to do anything, except be respectful of people's space.

In other words, don't go too near somebody.

If the elevator is full, then that would be more difficult. But still make the attempt to give people space.

If you don't know the people in the elevator, don't stare/glance at them. You don't have to acknowledge people you don't know.

All in all, just press the number for your floor, and just stand there until you arrive at your floor.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2016, 10:02 pm

I get on, stand against the wall until my floor is reached, then get off. That's it.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2016, 10:55 pm

Most people enter and then turn to face the door, so no one actually faces anyone else once you're in. That's the usual polite way to do it (and of course don't block the door). If you can't get to the panel when you enter, just say, "Three, please" and who ever is near it will ordinarily press the button for you.

There Are Four Lights!

somebody300
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 May 2016, 10:25 am

Thank you all for the help.
If there's only one person inside, is one supposed to greet them? Or is it better to just ignore their presence?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 10:27 am

If you know the person, you greet the person.

If you don't know the person, you don't have to greet the person.

ForeverAnon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2016, 10:49 am

Step 1: Stand to the side of the elevator before it opens. Let people leave.
Step 2: Enter the elevator. Check if your floor has been pressed.
Step 3: Determine where to stand in the elevator. If your floor is before the other floors, you can stand up front. If your floor comes after the rest, then either step to the sides of the elevator, or to the back if the sides are not available. Generally speaking, you should look mostly at the elevator door.
Step 4: Appraise the crowd; don't stare at any individual, but don't scan everyone like you're a Terminator. If friendly, a simple hello may work. Don't overdo it. Otherwise, they're probably in a hurry to get somewhere. Don't make a scene.
Step 5: Don't miss your floor! It's happened to me before.

somebody300
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 May 2016, 11:42 am

ForeverAnon wrote:
Step 1: Stand to the side of the elevator before it opens. Let people leave.
Step 2: Enter the elevator. Check if your floor has been pressed.
Step 3: Determine where to stand in the elevator. If your floor is before the other floors, you can stand up front. If your floor comes after the rest, then either step to the sides of the elevator, or to the back if the sides are not available. Generally speaking, you should look mostly at the elevator door.
Step 4: Appraise the crowd; don't stare at any individual, but don't scan everyone like you're a Terminator. If friendly, a simple hello may work. Don't overdo it. Otherwise, they're probably in a hurry to get somewhere. Don't make a scene.
Step 5: Don't miss your floor! It's happened to me before.

But while inside, am I supposed to just stare at the door all the time? Where should I glance while inside, if anywhere? Also, if I live in an appartment and the person inside is a neighbor from another floor, do I greet them? How do I behave around them while inside the elevator?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 1:36 pm

Just stare at the door LOL

You're usually not going to spend more than a couple of minutes in an elevator, anyway.

Elevators aren't places to initiate friendships--unless an elevator gets stuck!

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 4:11 pm

If there's only one other person in the elevator, a quick hello or other greeting wouldn't be inappropriate, especially if it's a neighbor you recognize as opposed to a complete stranger. As long as the person doesn't start tying to make small talk with you, turn towards the door and watch the numbers to make sure you don't miss your floor. If you're uncomfortable standing there and feel really out of place, it could be helpful take out your phone and pretend to be occupied by it. That way you'll have something to focus on, and there'll be less of a chance of people talking to you when you don't want them to.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 May 2016, 1:31 pm

Take the stairs, it's better for your health :P

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2016, 1:45 am

lordfakename wrote:
Take the stairs, it's better for your health :P
I agree with this one, and there's less chance of awkward moments in an elevator. I usually don't want to talk to anyone when I'm leaving or getting home.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 11:57 am

I just take the stairs. I never use elevators unless I really have to.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 12:10 pm

somebody300 wrote:
How are you supposed to behave when you enter an elevator, and there's somebody inside? Where are you supposed to look, both while entering and while in the elevator? What gestures are you supposed to make, if any? Are you supposed to take a glance at the person in the elevator?
I hate situations like this, as I have no idea what to do, and feel nervous as a consequence.

Rules:

Don't stare at anyone
Don't look at the woman's chest
Don't look at crotches or butts
Don't stand closer than an arm length to anyone unless the elevator is packed
Don't push and shove
Wait until the person gets off the elevator first before getting on
Remember to say you are getting off if someone is standing in your way when you are going to your floor

And for the love of god, hitting the button repeatedly for the elevator to come does not make it come any faster. I don't know why people do this. It must be a stim for them.

And the rest you were wondering about I wouldn't even worry about it. You only need to worry about manners.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 7:27 am

Upon entry, i will nod my head if there are only a few (2-3) others, to acknowledge their presence, press the button for my floor (if i have to) and then turn around and stare at the floor indicator, that's indeed all there is to it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 May 2016, 10:14 am

I dunno, just press your floor and stare ahead. If you really don't want to talk or interact with people, wear some earbuds or something

I try to be friendly in passing if somebody speaks to me the best I can, maybe I'm rude and I don't even know I think usually I handle it well.

Also using the stairs is a good way of avoiding people and staying healthy!