Running into former friend/borderline ex boyfriend

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 8:05 am

Hi:
I went to a convention over the weekend and I knew that my former friend/borderline ex boyfriend was going to be there as well. Long story short he and I started having trouble during last year's convention when he didn't appear to take any interest in me. We didn't talk all summer last year and re-connected last fall and but it seemed that he only contacted me when he wanted something. He also appeared to say and do some rude things. So I had to let him down by mentioning that it wasn't working for us to be friends which was back in December. He was pretty mad about it because he wrote about it on Facebook.

I saw him on two separate occasions this year and said hi twice out of politeness but otherwise avoided him
1. I said hi and he waved at me before leaving with a group of his friends in a food court.
2. I said hi to him on another day and he nodded at me in acknowledgement on the con floor before the panels and the dealers room opened.

The second time I walked far enough away and ran into some cosplayers who I seemed to like while he was watching me from the distance. So I walked away because I was planning on getting a new program for the con. Once I got that I noticed again that he was watching me so I said nothing and just kept on walking and avoided him.

Is there anything that I could have done differently? I don't want to give him mixed messages but I do want to be cordial.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 9:27 am

Sounds like a bunch of needless drama to me.
I'd focus my efforts on getting to know people
who are actually worth knowing.
And on cultivating my own talents.

Case in point:
This past month, I attended a con
where some people have in the past
shown that they either don't like me, or they simply ignore me.

So here's how I handled it:
Months before the convention, I contacted the guy in charge of the con
and volunteered to host a panel on a topic I'm familiar with.
I was accepted, so I spent the weeks leading up to the con
practicing, rehearsing, writing some notes about what I'd say.

The big weekend came.
I was pleasant when people were pleasant to me.
I ignored the people who ignored me.
I had a lot of fun hosting the panel.
Different people came and really liked and appreciated it.

As for the people there who didn't/don't like me ...
It's their problem.
And who cares?
I've got my life to live.
And I make my own fun. 8)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 8:55 am

I was thinking of doing a panel myself for a convention during memorial day weekend. What was your panel about?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 5:37 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I was thinking of doing a panel myself for a convention during memorial day weekend. What was your panel about?

It was a Klingon language panel. :)

I hosted such a panel twice.

The first time was really good ... people were intelligent enough that we played Simon Says in the Klingon language and I awarded prizes to two winners, an adult and a child. Each winner got a copy of the Klingon Dictionary and a large chocolate bar.

The second time (a few weeks ago) ... people were nervous and seemed to have trouble even when I asked "what is your name?" in Klingon ... all they had to do was say whatever their name was, in English if they liked. So for this second group, while I gave a few more examples of speaking Klingon words, phrases, and sentences, I then switched to English and taught them the books and websites they could use to teach themselves Klingon ... and I also taught them about Klingon culture.

Both groups had fun, even though the two experiences were very different.

What kind of panel would you like to host, Summer_Twilight? :)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 12:19 pm

I would like to host a MLP panel/ discussion where people share their stories about how they fell in love with the show and the characters.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 12:23 pm

May I just say that someday, when I grow up I want to be just like the two of you? Those experiences sound just so amazing! :) :) :)

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 2:41 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I would like to host a MLP panel/ discussion where people share their stories about how they fell in love with the show and the characters.

That sounds cool ... Are there other MLP fans that you can get together with or hang out with at cons (and/or in between)?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 2:42 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
May I just say that someday, when I grow up I want to be just like the two of you? Those experiences sound just so amazing! :) :) :)

Why thank you Edenthiel ...
One question ...
why grow up? :)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 3:20 pm

Well that is awesome Edenthiel and inspirational.

Phoenix the guy who I had a falling out with was not a fan of MLP b but he had alot of knowledge about the show MLP but he was more interested in anything video games.