I'm a nice person but someone said that I look mean...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

EricaWI04
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2016, 2:40 pm

I go out of my way to be nice to people and watch my tone of voice, and not bring up controversial topics, and try to look as pleasant as possible. I'm the kind of person that is quiet and doesn't talk much. Some people take my silence to be offensive. I heard through the grapevine that someone said that I look mean. Maybe that's the reason I have trouble attracting men and relationships in general. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 9:07 am

Even quiet people can make friends. I guess sometimes people can take silence/quiet times as a bad thing- but honestly there's nothing wrong with it. If everyone was loud and talked a lot, the world would be even more annoying than it already is.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 10:31 pm

Maybe your happy/pleasant expression is atypical or hard to read or people think your neutral face looks angry?

Love transcends all.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jul 2016, 10:06 am

I'm very similar I don't talk much either and I have always heard things like "smile more its not so bad".
I think people either think I'm mad and angry or sad and upset. I don't know sometimes I'm not really thinking about anything besides the present task, like onetime I was just paying for gas and the clerk was like "well you don't look to happy" I don't know I'm just going through the motions I don't know how you want me to act. These comments mostly put me in a worse mood. I don't know for me sometimes it just feels like I just don't have a neutral face for doing normal things people always think I'm a grump or sad and depressed even when I'm not its very frustrating.