Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 8:10 pm

Does anyone else seem to get this situation a lot: someone asks you a question. Someone else is there and they quickly cut in and answer the question for you, before you can get a chance to answer.

An example might be: people often seem to be interested in whether you drink, or smoke, or do drugs etc. but of course any situation could be involved. I think people are probably trying to protect you from a person knowing something by answering for you in the negative.

The most recent occasion I remember is someone asking me if I drink, and go to the pub (in a setting where it might have been disadvantageous for me if the truth was known). Someone else cut in and answered with an unequivocal "No".

I find I'm often able to use this to my advantage, as people might answer in a way that shows you in a better light than what the truth would.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 8:41 pm

I get this sometimes. I mostly notice it from the people that talk too much. If you'll notice, they probably do this to other's as well. It annoy's me when they don't answer for me the way I would have though.

They also might do this if they don't want people knowing what you are really thinking...for any number of reasons.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 10:16 pm

I can recall only one instance:

I was about 7 or 8. In the grocery store. Produce aisle. The manager came up and started talking to my parents--small talk: "How do you like the store, etc.?"

Then he tousled my hair and asked, "And how's the boy?" while staring directly at me.

I didn't answer him. Why should I? He didn't ask, "And how are you?"--I thought he was still talking to my parents. I guess I missed the whole "eye contact" thing. And he touched me (head), to add insult to injury. I just wanted him to go away.

I think my dad answered, "He's just shy."

Can't remember what happened after that--whether I got reprimanded for not answering. But I do remember Mom saying not long after that incident that he (manager) was diagnosed with a brain tumor and that's why *he* acted so weird that day.

Mom tried to protect me, and Dad covered for me, for as long as they could, I guess.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:14 pm

yes, or worse some one asks a question about me to someone else while I am right there!

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:37 pm

My mom does this to me a lot - If someone is asking me something, they obviously know I'm capable of giving them an answer. Otherwise they wouldn't ask the question.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 12:30 am

gramirez wrote:
My mom does this to me a lot - If someone is asking me something, they obviously know I'm capable of giving them an answer. Otherwise they wouldn't ask the question.
Same! My mom always answers for me. Even if the person asking the question is my dad. I don't really care - it makes it easier for me to avoid participating in dull conversations.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 4:52 am

gramirez wrote:

My dad used to do that to me, a lot. He eventually stopped doing that to me, because he knew that cutting me off made me show my rebellious side, in a subtle way.

DeadFire87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2009, 10:25 am

My mom always does this. Especially if its a girl I knew from school. I tend to be quite shy and she just starts talking about me saying this and that. Not always with stuff I still wish to do or am into or anything. Its quite annoying for me though as sometimes I feel like she has turned another girl away from talking to me by saying some things.

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2009, 1:21 pm

I have mixed feelings about people answering for me.

Sometimes I find it helpful, like for example when somebody asks me to describe something I find difficult to describe, somebody else answers for me. Explaining things is not one of my strengths.

On the other hand, at times people have butted in and answered for me when I have been asked a question (I don't get it so much these days), as if they don't think I am capable of speaking for myself or I have not understood the question. I know they mean well but I find it patronising.