What did you do today to look less autistic?

Page 2 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 6:03 pm

I tried really hard to find the right level of annoyance to convey to customer service people, but it only lasted until they acted indifferent and started making excuses. Even then, I only let a little of my inner freakout leak through, I think.

I went and got some food, and I feel better, even though I kind of had to force myself to eat enough. I think I came across as reasonably normal when I was buying the food, even though I still had waves of irritation crashing against my face.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 6:17 pm

Interesting question.

Basically just: did not automatically "run and hide" when coworkers start to converse with me. Try to keep bonding with individuals who seem to wanna bond with me. It was kinda an interesting emotionally upbeat work day. Hard to explain.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 1:11 pm

I don't ask questions spontaneously, and it is also hard to know if it appropriate or not too personal.

Today I asked a question to my colleague (Where do you go on holiday?). She was quite happy to tell me and we had a small chat. :)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 12:28 pm

Today I answered an email pending for some time (because I did not know what to respond). And it looks weird and bad when you do not respond to a kind email.

I also got rid of my earphones (which i'm used to wear the whole day long to cut myself).

Also, I forced myself to start three small chats. I think I did not say anything too weird.

Last edited by LaetiBlabla on 22 Mar 2017, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 2:06 pm

Today I was all day home but yesterday I was able to buy a train ticket in the station and I could look natural, give the proper answers keeping my voice audible and without stuttering and keep a short eye contact. Afterwards I felt so proud of myself but spent the rest of the day super tired.
(Plus when I told my bf how it happened and what I said to him when I get back home, he told me I sound like a native speaker and my speech is perfect which made me super happy.)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 1:06 pm

When I am interacting with people, I often screw my hands and feel uncomfortable with my body, stutter or can't make a complete sentence . Today I have paid attention to show less signs of stress. I could relax a little, stop screwing my hands and control my speech better than usual :)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 7:35 am

Same as usual. Whenever I didn't understand the social protocol for something and I was too embarrassed to ask becuase I thought I should already know I tried "fishing" for the answer through trial and error and indirect questioning.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 7:50 am

Today I put on my awesome leather jacket, donned my shades and walked like I'm the God-king of the universe. Business as usual. 8)

RnzWithSizzors33
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2017, 9:12 am

I forced myself to make eye contact - the single biggest struggle for me. The only trouble is, when I do that, I have to concentrate so much on it, that I look more like I am staring them down, and I end up making them​ uncomfortable, not to mention the fact that I can't maintain eye contact and talk coherently at the same time. So either way, I lose. lol Man, if NTs only knew how hard we have to work to fit into their little boxes of normalcy... whatever happened to "live and let live?" :-|

FeardyBase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2017, 11:41 am

I remained 100% of the time where nobody would see me, this is always a 100% effective approach.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 12:52 pm

Today I have paid attention to unwritten rules, understand what is behind conversations.

I have asked questions to know about people and spoke a little about myself.

I have improve (1 or 2% ;) if you like figures) the way I chat with people this week and i'm very happy about it.
I have increased the small chats up to let's say 95% :)
(95% starting from barely no small chats to quite a lot of small chats today, here 95% taking also into account the quality ;) )

Happyyy :)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 3:35 pm

Today started bad, impossible to open to outside world nor have any eye contact or smiles. I was tired I think. I slept good and tried again... and I started a conversation with a stranger and paid attention not to interrupt, spoke when it was "my turn" to speak, asked questions, listened to answers, with good eye contacts and smiles. :) Resisted to the temptation to help when not asked to. Conversation lasted around 10 minutes and I acted I think perfectly normal :)

I also did an effort to dress "normal" and nice.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 1:26 am

I said as little as possible. Yesterday, I finished packing and then I drove all day today. I've felt about three steps away from a meltdown for a while. The best way to keep calmly interacting with people has been quietly.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:13 pm

Yesterday, I have watched some videos from Barron Cruz on YouTube about conversations.

Today I have tried to apply some stuff and I have paid particular attention to the emotion behind what people are saying, and hold eye contact more. When I could do it, it has been quite efficient, waw! :)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:19 pm

I gave hugs to my housemates. I felt that they would like more affirmation and hugs, so I tried it and it seems correct. Also feels lovely to me.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 8:14 pm

Stopped myself from taking my irritably with noises going on at the dinner table out on other people. I just stared at my plate and tried not to appear annoyed and complain of the noise. I know its not their fault I overreact to erratic noises and talking. It's just so agitating that I end up snapping at others when they talk to me when I'm feeling overloaded.