Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TazDevil
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2004, 3:30 am

Hi, It's Jacob's Mum here.. Was wondering if anyone can help me with new ways to explain "Stranger Danger" to jacob [age 7].. I have attempted to explain in so many ways but so far have no luck. He says a person is not a stranger if they give you a name. Logical right!
Any suggestions would be very helpful. :roll:

neutron189
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2004, 8:57 am

A stranger is someone who you dont know well if they give your there name you still dont know them well And also your parents must know them good. If your parents dont know them good they might be a kidnaper or a bad person. i hope this has helped

Amy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2004, 12:32 pm

If hes having trouble understanding the concept, it may simply be too soon to explain. You can try, but when hes older it will click. :wink:

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Jul 2004, 12:35 pm

Tell him that a stranger is an adult that his parents don't know.

shellfd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2004, 1:05 pm

with my son we do social stories that I write, and then we practice all the time. I have not touched on this topic yet. Also, you could get books that also take about the subject, the more practice the better he should get at distinguishing what a stranger is.
Also, another thing we do with my son (which could help him remember)
is a take an index card and glue a PEC onto it and label it-
If he can read you could just write-
a stranger is someone that _______________________. whatever you decide to tell him.
you could say, you need to not only know someones name; but you need to know where they live, etc..... whatever requirements you teach him to tell the difference..
well, the point is that you then laminate the index card and he can carry it with him.
so, he can look at the card if he "forgets" the definition of stranger.
he can put this card on a key chain, on a lanyard, etc... so that it is easy to access.
and then you practice a skit...
you can arrange a frined of yours (that your son has not met)to be the target and you can have your son practice, and then you can remind him- if you cant remember use your "card" or whatever name you call his index card.
we have had great sucess with this method.
Hope it helps.
michele

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Central Florida; originally southeastern Massachusetts

23 Jul 2004, 8:09 pm

Then s/he may wonder how to I make friends if they are my strangers? A more complex situation especially for those with Asperger's Syndrome.

For the record, all my friends are online.

TazDevil
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2004, 8:48 pm

alex wrote:
Tell him that a stranger is an adult that his parents don't know.
Thanks. Am trying all sorts of things..Recently we had a new neighbor move in and he has befriended Jacob. This is a 60 year old man, who is determined to get jacob inside, coaxing him with video games, toys etc..I am always with Jacob when outdoors, so I can keep an eye out for him, but it worries me that he is gaining my sons trust, and you can never be too sure these days...
You see, although I try to explain stranger Danger to him, there are alsao persons whom are known to us that could potentially get his trust and harm him...Am I being too worried??

TazDevil
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2004, 8:52 pm

Tom_FL_MA wrote:
Then s/he may wonder how to I make friends if they are my strangers? A more complex situation especially for those with Asperger's Syndrome.

Definitely a touchy subject here..Jacob [age 7] is a trusting little man, especially if the person approaching him gains his trust by talking about superheroes..Like my new neighbour, he always seems to come out when jacob's there, and although we know him by name I am trying to explain to jacob that he must never go into another persons home, even if they are a neighbor, without Mum or dad's permission..

shellfd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2004, 10:24 pm

well, if I may add that these (making friends, and trusting) are also different skills that need to be learned... you must start with the most simple skill first then continue to add.. for example once he learns about strangers and has that mastered (100% in all places and situations) then you move to the next skill, say trust... then once mastered you add the next making friends... I would start with the skills that he would need for his safety first....
social stories can work for all of these.. but once again they are different skills and all have to be taught at different times.
A social story should be simple and brief...
with simple language.
Michele

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2004, 9:11 am

I have some ideas on what you can tell him.

A stranger is someone that you don't go to School with.

A stranger is someone who you don't play with in the Neighbourhood.

A stranger is a person who isn't part of your Family

A stranger is not a friend that your parents talk to.

Don't talk to strangers. :D

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2004, 9:19 am

TazDevil wrote:
Tom_FL_MA wrote:

Definitely a touchy subject here..Jacob [age 7] is a trusting little man, especially if the person approaching him gains his trust by talking about superheroes..Like my new neighbour, he always seems to come out when jacob's there, and although we know him by name I am trying to explain to jacob that he must never go into another persons home, even if they are a neighbor, without Mum or dad's permission..

No mean to be rude or anything, but I don't think you should be using Jacob's name for your posts. I don't think he likes that very much. Then again, I'm not sure about a lot of things.

shellfd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2004, 10:25 am

CockneyRebel, that would be a great social story- you use one line per page and add a simple picture to match the words.
The idea is to keep it simple but to the point.
michele

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2004, 2:35 pm

Thankyou for the compliment, Michelle. I'll look into working on that Social Story and getting it published! :D

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2004, 3:19 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Thankyou for the compliment, Michelle. I'll look into working on that Social Story and getting it published! :D

I wish my name wasn't so overused.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2004, 9:21 pm

Sorry about that.

TazDevil
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2004, 2:54 am

Mich wrote:
TazDevil wrote:
Tom_FL_MA wrote:

No mean to be rude or anything, but I don't think you should be using Jacob's name for your posts. I don't think he likes that very much. Then again, I'm not sure about a lot of things.
Thank's for the tip, and a very valid one. So far 'Master 7' is unable to read or write so is unaware of my using his name. Will definitely not use name in future.