What was your high school label? Jock, nerd, prep, emo, etc.

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What was your high school label?
Nerd 22%  22%  [ 12 ]
Jock 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Prep 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Goth 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
None of the above 70%  70%  [ 38 ]
I'm not in high school yet. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 54

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 3:55 pm

What was your high school label?

Prep: Has come to be an label for those who conform to typical teenage behavior, in areas like clothing, school behavior, and sports participation, because preps usually are more ambitious and/or image-conscious than others. They wear nice clothes and they are usually fairly popular and have a close circle of friends in high school who are also preps. Most of them are white and come from a middle class to upper middle class family.

Nerd/Dork: Often highly intelligent but socially rejected because of their social awkwardness and nerdy appearance and obesssion with a given subject, usually computers or video games. Nerds tend to befriend other nerds. Nerds should not be confused with geeks who are highly intelligent and technologically savvy but still have normal social skills.

Jock: The star athletes of the school. They are usually popular and get the attractive girls. They are stereotyped as being unintelligent.

Goth: a person who likes to dress and act differently to the other people in society, normally in black but some like much brighter colours. Goths are associated with non-conformity since they dress differently and tend to hold non-conformist views. Most like to 'march to the beat of their own drum' and are often quite intelligent.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 4:34 pm

I do not feel I necessarily fit into any of those....I did get called goth fairly often I've always liked wearing black, and have liked rather dark artistry, like if somethings got skulls and cross-bones or a grim reaper I want it. Also did not have many friends or really conform too much. But I wasn't a real goth I didn't even really know what goth rock/death rock and music genres the goth subculture actually came out of really where. Aside from that I was your typical class outcast I guess, sometimes just ended up hanging out with other 'misfits' even if we didn't really connect, more those where the people that would talk to me. On occasion people accused me of 'trying' to be emo but I honestly found that trend kind of stupid and confusing. And as far as I can tell now the term 'emo kid' more is an umbrella term for teens who wear tight pants and listen to hard rock genres that aren't exactly metal or punk, most seem to be in a transition phase of figuring out where they really identify.

I did get into metal as a teen and started considering myself a metalhead before I got out of high-school and I still identify with that label, and well now I have found I do like the goth rock/death rock and such as well.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 5:21 pm

Stage-crew nerd. But, what I really was ... was invisible. If I could endure a whole day without being asked a single question or uttering a single word, that was a good day. I got pretty good at it in high school, though I had tried since kindergarten.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 5:56 pm

There were many "Goths" in my high school (although the term hadn't been invented yet--they were known as "punk-rockers" then). I only recently learned the term "Emo." Some of the "Goths" were probably "Emos" as well. There were a few "jocks." Most of the kids, though, would be called "druggies" today. Most of the student body used to go to a nearby park to smoke pot and do harder drugs, then come to class. This was the 1970s.

"Preppies" were rich kids who had the tendency to wear rugby shirts and designer jeans (note: "designer jeans" did not really exist before 1975 or so).

I was considered lower than the average "nerd." I got along better with people who'd rather discuss intellectual things than social things. I wasn't bullied physically too much--but was verbally bullied quite a bit.

But I gained a little bit of a reputation for being a poet in my senior year--not much of a reputation, though.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Apr 2015, 6:15 pm

Well my high school experience wasn't really that long, I skipped more times than not and kept to myself when I was there mostly until I got an accommodation that allowed me to complete HS without actually being there. Of the people I acquainted with, it was a pretty healthy mix of every from that stereotypical spectrum of roles. Jocks, preps, nerds, emo, goth, burnouts, gangbangers, foreign kids, special ed, whatever I didn't subscribe to any one grouping. I went to a very large and diverse urban high school so there was an entire racial dynamic as well. Most of the people I knew outside of school I would say would be in that "burnout" crowd I guess and people made assumptions on my appearance(long hair) so probably that more than anything I dunno.

Looking back, I wish I was more social in my high school years.

LocksAndLiqueur
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2015, 7:30 pm

I was always with the "island of misfit toys," the people who banded together because nobody else wanted anything to do with them. Actually, right now I'm at the alternative school because I got kicked out of the behavior intervention program Sophmore year for leaking information about a SWAT team "drill" (which was actually going to be more like a raid) that was going to occur on campus.

Now, the entire school is the island of misfit toys and I'm on good terms with everybody. It's really wonderful. Since we all had bad experiences at the high school, we share a feeling of resentment that helps to unify us. Also, most of us did terrible socially at the high school, which also helps. I'm still (as I pretty much always have been) seen as a nerd, but I'm a nerd who does way better socially than I ever have before.

I like everybody I go to school with now and almost all of them like me. I've even been invited to go places and do things with people outside of school, which never used to happen.

Neon Noir
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2015, 10:25 pm

I guess that I was a "Goth-nerd," a pretty laughable one at that. I would usually hang out with the nerds and later with the motorheads, but I never really fit into either group.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 11:46 pm

none of them.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 11:55 pm

People ignore me, when they do refer to me, its "that weirdo sitting in the corner"

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 12:01 am

I was always debating about what stereotypical high school 'label' I was before I realized how much meaningless BS it all was.

I'm a mixture of practically all of the high-school stereotypes....

No one truly fits their label and I always found it silly to be honest...

My self-description and one that my friends have agreed is true: "Chill, laid-back, quiet, mysterious, a bit goofy and silly, weird but confident in his eccentricness."

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 8:21 am

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
People ignore me, when they do refer to me, its "that weirdo sitting in the corner"

You get a whole corner to yourself? :)

I wish I could have had a corner in school. But, my "invisibility" gave me a whole room to myself.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 8:48 am

More like the high-school I went to deserved to itself be labelled: Liberals

Kate.com
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2015, 9:05 am

Goth-ish. There weren't goths where I went to high school. There were skaters, surfers and future writers. I was sort of with each of these groups. I didn't bond at all with anyone though and so I was the perpetual outsider

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 10:16 pm

Teacher's Pet

I went to an alternative school program for adults who never got their diploma or GED and was one of very few that were even literate. I never really saw any particular favortism at this school except the times they took me aside to explain to me that I had an advantage because I could read. I brought in some paintings I did and were enamored with them. Another teacher came by and said, "You should read her essays too!" The next day I was signing in and one of the teachers said to the main teacher, "Look, here comes your star student." I LOVED that place. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jun 2018, 8:38 am

I think I was a D0rK. I wasn't that smart & had BAD social skills. I also was mostly interested in music, TV, & vid games. I wore thick glasses too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 9:17 am

The nicest label was "Weird". The labels when downhill from a perversion of my last name to descriptive terms for various bodily functions.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.