Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 12:31 pm

I think I have always had a problem with body odor (BO) especially under my armpits. I have tried deordorants but they just don't seem to work on me. You know it really gets bad when your co-workers leave an new package of stick deodorant on your desk in the morning. I guess the smell must drive some people away from being near me. Anyways I am experimenting with a different approach. Generally deodorants work by masking the smell, but this approach works by killing the bacteria that produce the odor in the first place.

I mix up some organic coconut oil with some baking soda in a small jar to about the consistency of a lotion. Then I add several drops of lavender essential oil and mix it in. The baking soda kills the odor causing bacteria. I place the jar in my medicine cabinet and place a little bit under my arms each morning. Seems to work for me.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 12:37 pm

Cool. I will have to try this. I don't have a problem with B.O. generally. Only if I've been working outside a lot and then I don't really care. I tried rubbing moistened baking soda under my arms in the past but it was too abrasive to my sensitive skin. I'm guessing the coconut oil helps to reduce friction.

I do something similar in that I haven't used store bought toothpaste in probably fifteen years. I make my own concoction out of water, baking soda, Dr. Bronners liquid peppermint soap and peppermint essential oil. I mix that in a small canning jar into a paste and dip my toothbrush into the jar. My wife uses the same paste from the same jar. Far superior to store bought toothpaste. I'm nearing fifty and I only have one filling in my entire mouth and when I told a dentist I had that I made my own toothpaste, he said "keep doing what you're doing. It's working just fine.".

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 1:17 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I think I have always had a problem with body odor (BO) especially under my armpits. I have tried deordorants but they just don't seem to work on me. You know it really gets bad when your co-workers leave an new package of stick deodorant on your desk in the morning. I guess the smell must drive some people away from being near me. Anyways I am experimenting with a different approach. Generally deodorants work by masking the smell, but this approach works by killing the bacteria that produce the odor in the first place.

I mix up some organic coconut oil with some baking soda in a small jar to about the consistency of a lotion. Then I add several drops of lavender essential oil and mix it in. The baking soda kills the odor causing bacteria. I place the jar in my medicine cabinet and place a little bit under my arms each morning. Seems to work for me.

I'm glad you have found a solution. I don't have a body odor issue but my deodorant tends to stain my clothing. I'm not sure if you are aware but in my quest for a deodorant that did not do this, I discovered that there are some prescription grade anti persperants that one is to apply the night before and stops body odor by stopping under arm perspiration.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 3:06 pm

Another tip for armpit and pubic odor is to trim that hair or even shave it. The hair normally acts as a carrier for the smell, so less hair, less odor. Men might feel awkward about shaving it and they could just trim it short with a scissor or a beard-trimmer. This is in addition to, not instead of, a chemical product. Shaving can sensitize the skin so wouldn't be for everyone.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Aug 2018, 10:42 pm

If it's due to sweating & you sweat a lot, you could see a doc about the sweating. There is a disorder called Hyperhidrosis that involves seating easily & a lot. There are treatments for it including meds.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition