Successful HFA friendships with understanding NTs??

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 11:52 am

^ Very good points, i might have sounded too pessimistic while writing my initial post.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 10:21 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
Yes, I was saying that not just NTs who would act as intermediaries (in brokering) friendships. People with HFA who are pretty much NT-like can also exercise their roles.

Well, I'm pretty obviously not very "NT-like" (e.g. I can't do normal eye contact, and I've been told by various people that I don't have normal "affect" in my voice, facial expressions, and body language), but I do hope to be able to broker friendships among autistic people in the following two ways:

1) via a website I plan to create within the next year or so, and

2) via a new in-person group I've begun building here in NYC.

Any consideration for incorporating activities such as participation in the arts programs i,e., painting, drawing, sculpture? How about specialty food events e.g., festivals? Outings, travel (even to destinations requiring not too much in the way of travel distance)?

There must be many potential activities in the NYC Region.

It can be said, this is the heart of why NTs experienced with HFA (or HFAs experienced with NT environs) must be "in the loop" to coordinate activities which seem daunting to HFAs; that is it takes those thoughtful people to nudge us into trying new (yet not necessarily unfamiliar) activities.

From my own personal experiences, I feel encouraged by activities that present something concrete, affordable (that is cost alone ca be discouraging), and I navigate activities better with familiar people participating.

Have you investigated www.meetup.com for ideas?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Any consideration for incorporating activities such as participation in the arts programs i,e., painting, drawing, sculpture? How about specialty food events e.g., festivals? Outings, travel (even to destinations requiring not too much in the way of travel distance)?

Here in NYC, a local group called Aspies for Social Success already does various social activities, occasionally including some of the kinds of things you mentioned above, in addition to its support groups. There are no NTs involved in running that particular group, which has been around for at least 6 or 7 years if I'm not mistaken.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2019, 12:55 pm

To reassess the original purpose of this thread.

It can also be helpful to reevaluate the awesome people we currently know. Who are the people who would be present during difficult times?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 2:24 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

Here in NYC, a local group called Aspies for Social Success already does various social activities, occasionally including some of the kinds of things you mentioned above, in addition to its support groups. There are no NTs involved in running that particular group, which has been around for at least 6 or 7 years if I'm not mistaken.

Any consideration for scheduling a visit to Boston to attend an AANE conference to boost HFA awareness, discuss experiences? AANE seems to take the time to evaluate personal experiences.

I have a chance to discuss my experiences (including posting here on WP, and mentioning AANE) with the ARC Center in San Francisco. The ARC Center in SF mainly focuses on clientele with developmental disabilities more limiting than HFA; yet they host meetings of the HFA resource www.AASCEND.org .

I'm three and a half hours drive from the SF Bay Area, and I'm considering travel to SF esp. if the ARC Center and AASCEND are receptive of learning best-practices on HFA from the AANE in Boston. As said, CA state resources mainly go towards supporting developmental disabilities more limiting than HFA; hence even in the SF Bay Area, HFA resources are spotty in scope.

inkgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2019, 8:09 pm

I have an awesome friendship with an NT. She is actually 5 years younger than me (I'm 19) but we're on a similar emotional/mental level so it works out. I find that younger NTs are easier to befriend and relate to, since my emotional development is behind my peers. Anyways, she has been around me enough to not take offense if I accidentally say something rude or act weirdly.

Also, I find it easier to make friends if someone introduces me first. I became friends with this girl because my younger sister was friends with her first, so we inevitably ended up hanging out together.