Page 1 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 8:14 am

This is a thread to arrange meets with fellow ASDers in your area wherever. It is a fantastic way to meet people. I have seen this work and participated on other boards. I have been successful in making friends this way. Something I have never been able to do prior. I want to see it working for ASDers.

So wherever you are, be it Kuala Lumpur or London or Dallas, etc this is an opportunity to put up meets and/or go to the meets. Please feel free to post your meet ideas. There is no prerequisite to what a meet entails. It can be just as simple as meeting at a location or tickets to an event, or going to a museum exhibition. You are welcome to be specific as you like. Naturally some meets tend to be more successful than others. It is always worth a shot, and if your not sure feel free to ask me, and I can try to give ideas based on my experience. Similarly if it is your first time going to a meet, I can give my experience especially if you have difficulty interacting and talking to people. Once a meet’s date is established, give me a PM and I will display all the upcoming meets on this initial post.

I’m not responsible for what goes on in these meets. It is up to the people involved. The organisers and the people going to the meets are responsible for their own safety as adults. I will post some general safety guidelines in due course.

Upcoming Meets:

London Meet Up - South Bank [Sunday 26th August – 13:00 onwards]
# Exact details to be decided
# We aim to meet in the South Bank nr. Waterloo Station and stay there for a while. There is lots to do. Then we may move on to the north side see some museums, and finish up in a quiet pub.
# Will first go to Waterloo Station. Will be there from around 12:50-13:10. Especially for those who are coming into this station, or anyone who wants to meet there. The meeting point is outside Whittle Stop nr. Platform one (see map in thread)
# The rest can meet in the foyer of the National Theatre. ~ 13:20 (see map/explanation in post)
# If you wish to come later on let me know
# Will be carrying or placing an orange on the table at the three locations
# Following people are coming or have expressed interest:
Kaleido
Iceb
MrMacPhisto
Psych
Graelwyn
girl7000
scrulie
Emettman
JJ
Violentcloud
MrSinister
Aspie_Chav
0_equals_true

Please contact me if you are interested. Sorry if I’ve left anyone off.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 22 Aug 2007, 6:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 8:44 am

Let’s start things off. It would be good for anyone who wants to meet up in London some time in the next fortnight or so, especially if we could get at least 4 people, which shouldn't too difficult hopefully.

Want to make as easy as possible so not putting too many specifics at the moment. It will be in a central location. I'm guessing that weekends during the day, or evenings would be best. We could do something simple like going to a movie or just meeting somewhere. Please say if you have any difficulties with that I want to be as accommodating as possible.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 10:03 am

I live in Lancashire so this is me registering my interest in meeting WPers based here.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 10:08 am

I joined the meetup group started by bluehorse

http://aspergers.meetup.com/299/?a=mu_ojbhtabrsr

for Staten Islanders.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 10:11 am

A meet might be possible for me especially in the daytime or early evening.

I can get to the West End fairly easily though the East side could be more of a problem.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 10:52 am

Great, I think the West End is good location for a first meet.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 11:07 am

I'm west London too :)

Hvn't thought too much about a meet up and I am very busy most of the time.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 11:16 am

The more the merrier

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 1:12 pm

Count me in

xanadu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2007, 3:58 pm

If there are any people from Denmark here, there already exists a kind of meetup here, though it's not organized through Meetup.com - you can read more about it at www.aspergerforeningen.dk (Danish page).

psych
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 8:35 pm

Yes

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 9:11 pm

I can do a London meetup as my mother lives there.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 3:47 am

Hi,

I work in central London Mon-Thu so could meet up in the evenings after I finish work.
I could also do a Friday or Saturday. I would prefer not to do Sunday as this is the day I use for hiding from the world in order to 'recharge' for the following Monday.

I think meeting in London would be a great idea.

Does anyone have any ideas as to venues? I have problems with anxiety and sensory overload, so it would need to be somewhere that is not too crowded or noisy (although I appreciate that this can be difficult in London!)

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 7:48 am

I must add that daytime is best for me so I can get back to Southampton by train safely if needs be... I never know when my mother has other guests staying with her, lol and sure couldn't afford a hotel for the night. Or early evening at latest.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 8:02 am

I'm up for it in theory :D

psych
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 8:06 am

girl7000 wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas as to venues? I have problems with anxiety and sensory overload, so it would need to be somewhere that is not too crowded or noisy (although I appreciate that this can be difficult in London!)

One of the larger parks or gardens?

The only problem would be the initial meeting point would probably have to be an easy-to-find landmark* (ideally near a train station), and these tend to be in quite busy places.