Are autistic folk capable of narcissism? Parent need advice

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2019, 5:32 pm

I'm a parent seeking to understand. My daughter is 22 attends 'social connections' with a support worker. Is very good looking but with very low confidence, with no assertiveness for her boundaries.

She is on Facebook and has some male autistic friends on messenger, that also attend 'social connections'.

She is trying to use some basic social skills on there. One of them has created many groups all leading to his self elevation. 1. The worshippers of the diving entity P.. D.. another group 2. the true divine lord of the church of St P.. D..
and the 3rd. the antagonisation force of P..D…

He wants people to call him, Lord, Master. He is obsessed with Marvel Venom and gets in cosplay gear. I try and coach my daughter with her social skills on messenger and the way he treats the other males is like everyone is beneath him.

He talks down to his male friends, while inflating his physical strength, He is into body building, and keto shedding. He is trying to interact with my daughter via messenger.

As a mother in her 50’s who has seen and experienced a load of narcissistic people over the course. I say this guy is one of them and one of the other males in messenger has asked my daughter what she thinks of this P.. D..?

Can autistic people be narcissistic in behaviour?

What would be a basic gray answer to ' What do you think of P..D..? if she thinks not much of anything about him.

I think we probably need a security guard rather than a support worker. Please weigh in. Feels like murky waters. Thanks for reading.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 6:06 pm

There are plenty of existing posts to read explaining the Narcissism/Autism connection. I am not surprised that online an AS may remake themselves into an N. What was he like at the 'social connections' group?

Here are some posts on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90402

viewtopic.php?t=340474

I certainly saw some of the "Covert Narcissism" in myself.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 7:24 pm

Autistic people make "excellent" narcissists, and it's a real problem we have to fight against. This site even has some people on there who think being mentally disordered makes them Human 2.0, and that is a classic recipe. We've got it tough but we are capable of making it that much tougher for ourselves by thinking we're superior.

This guy dressing up as Marvel Venom and wanting people to call him Lord & Master sounds hilarious, though.

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2019, 10:24 pm

Borromeo wrote:
Autistic people make "excellent" narcissists, and it's a real problem we have to fight against. This site even has some people on there who think being mentally disordered makes them Human 2.0, and that is a classic recipe. We've got it tough but we are capable of making it that much tougher for ourselves by thinking we're superior.

This guy dressing up as Marvel Venom and wanting people to call him Lord & Master sounds hilarious, though.

Everyone is human, mental health or not, but I dont know the part about 2.0. I might be missing a point. I understand they could make excellent narcissists, because they really only want to talk about their obsession/interest.

Until my daughter can tell people to back off respectively I will worry about her.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 11:11 pm

I was making a (tasteless and rude, as usual) kind of joke.

May your daughter respond well to the love you have for her! The narcissism part isn't so much an interest or obsession, it's the clinical kind (at least what I was talking about.) There is an autistic-supremacy movement, same as a race-supremacy but a little harder to spot. I am not sure what kind you might have been talking about--casual meaning for an obliviously selfish but harmless person, or the clinical psychopathic kind.

Best wishes to you & your daughter and, actually, to the annoying guy.